So I recently bought a new laptop. My plan is to take the old laptop, wipe it clean (factory reset) and then download Windows 10 and give it to my nephews for school work and gaming. I am not a tech savvy person by any means and I want to know if this is even possible and, if so, how to go about it. I have free access to download just about any Microsoft program I want through my school, but I don’t want to start doing this unless I know exactly what I am doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Need a tech pro
Started by Shaggy-Lopez [2042562] on in Technology.
About this thread
Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 8
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 3
- Likes on archived posts
- 1
- Authority score
- 7 / 100
- Historical score
- 11 / 100
- Story score
- 26 / 100
- Engagement score
- 46 / 100
Step 1: Download Windows
Step 2: Run the program
It will give you the option to wipe it or install another copy of Windows (AKA dual booting). Obviously you're going to wipe it.
Once it's done installing the laptop will probably reboot automatically, or give you the option, and then you're done. It's very simple these days.
Might want to double check that you have everything backed up too.
Step 2: Run the program
It will give you the option to wipe it or install another copy of Windows (AKA dual booting). Obviously you're going to wipe it.
Once it's done installing the laptop will probably reboot automatically, or give you the option, and then you're done. It's very simple these days.
Might want to double check that you have everything backed up too.
Ok, would I still need to run the new version of Windows off of a flash drive?
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
Download that and use it to make a bootable OS installation drive.
Boot the flash drive.
It will load the OS installation without running a OS.
During the installation process you can make partitions and format and all that before the actual OS installation takes place.
Download that and use it to make a bootable OS installation drive.
Boot the flash drive.
It will load the OS installation without running a OS.
During the installation process you can make partitions and format and all that before the actual OS installation takes place.
No but you can if you want to.
Would this take care of any unwanted programs on my computer? I’ve had the thing since 2013. God only knows what it has picked up off the internet in that time.
Formatting during OS install means the all the content on the drive will be erased.
Not securely, and some things may be recoverable. And for that there are other means.
But as far as it comes down to providing them with a fresh "empty" HDD, yes, it would do the trick.
Not securely, and some things may be recoverable. And for that there are other means.
But as far as it comes down to providing them with a fresh "empty" HDD, yes, it would do the trick.
Yup, however Windows always comes with unwanted programs know as bloatware. There shouldn't be any viruses though.