Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Revive Chains

Started by av64 [2079113] on in Suggestions.

9 replies · 163 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
10
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
34
Authority score
28 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
55 / 100
av64 [2079113]
[background color=#66CDAA]

Three ideas for revive factions:

1. Have a set of honours and medals for revives, to mirror those for attacking.

2. Have revives contribute to faction respect tallies for members of factions that have unlocked the 25e per revive upgrade.

3. Instigate revive chains, with respect bonuses for reviving as per attacks. Same time limits and format as attack chains: the revivers have to find hosp'ed or mugged clients to revive. Extra bonuses for overseas revives, etc

NB 2 and 3 only available to members of revive factions, i.e. those factions that have unlocked the 25e per revive upgrade.


[/background]
Father [2131687]
R-

If you wanna make sure that the value of revives doesn't decrease then it is a bad idea to add any sort of compensation like this.


The value of a revive, especially the non-contract one is already suffering due to too many Revivers. If Revivers start getting more compensation (other than the merits, which stop for 1k. Which is also one of the reasons why revives hold more value than a loss slut) for doing revives, people will find another excuse to under pay you guys.

I have been a reviver for a long time and in my time I have negotiated multiple Contracts. A lot of times I had to work hard to get the client to agree on 1 mil per revive. If you start earning respect for reviving, opinions like this will no longer be unpopular.

Implementing this will only hurt you guys in the long run.

Mentions: Should we really pay for revives?

Blunt [2076337]
If they were to introduce this, why make it so only 25e revive factions are able to do revive chains?

I feel like factions actively working towards 25e revives deserve to earn respect in the same way... if anything they deserve it more, because the energy spent vs respect gained will be a lot greater than what a 25e revive faction would experience.

Otherwise, it's a pretty cool idea. I could see maybe .25 respect per hour of hosp time removed or something to that nature.. Thats 6 (edit: 18 respect.. forgot ODs were 3 days not just 1) respect per OD you revive, and 1.5-2 respect for a 6-8 hour hosp revive.

Could even add a 1.5x bonus for overseas revives, and maybe another 1.5x bonus for revives over 10 hours of hosp time.
ChillySpunc [1905415]
So, if a faction can earn respect from reviving then they should earn respect from crimes, hunting, travelling, donating to the caymans?

It's already a perk to revive for 25e, earning respect from it makes no sense.
av64 [2079113]
It's an interesting question. Should the faction respect system be widened to encompass other 'guilds' such as Assasins, Thieves, and so on? It works for other games...

We already have companies with a range of different perks to suit players' needs and styles. Why not also factions?
av64 [2079113]
Hmm, understand where you're coming from. However, there are plenty of free-lancers and people offering "free-vives" as it is. I don't think the market will change if a few factions get the perks and then start hoovering up revives around wars between 'traditional' factions. As with attacking chains, I suspect most of the revive targets will be inactives to begin with.

Another way of earning respect might be for revive faction members to hospitalise the free-lancers and "free-vivers" - you want to be a reviver, then join the faction. Or else...
Bainz [2101476]
This has been suggested with 100R+ a few times now. It would require an entirely new system. Ched has been pretty clear that revive chaining won't happen. It's also not intuitive to spam revives for respect. Revives should be tactical and meaningful.

No R+. No R-.

1) Far too many merits to match. I could see adding a few more but they would need to be unique beyond "do 'x' more revives". Pretty lame merits imo.

2) Respect for revives has been a big push for a few years. Overall, the answer has been no. It incentivizes spamming revives far too much as well. Ched has been clear that Respect was always intended as a currency for combat.

3) This would require a completely new system. Combat is a complicated and in-depth system. The current chain systems could not be used for revives, and imo shouldn't be. Reviving is point and click while combat takes time investment for stats plus the collection of weapons, armor, temps and the knowledge to use them properly. I liked the idea when it first came up but over the years have slowly seen why it's a bad idea. This should be a push for Respect for revives, we don't need chaining and the associated bonuses.

4) I agree an additional Fortitude unlock with some type of Respect for revives would be nice. I don't think chaining is the answer though. Maybe a once per day payout based on the number of revives done that day, at the 00:00:00 rollover. Or a flat amount of revives given per revive once it is unlocked. As an example, it would need to be the equivalent of hitting a day 1 inactive player when you have 1B in stats, to be a fair amount.

TL:DR
I would love to see a faction special that gives 'X' Respect at the end of every day based on the number of revives done by the faction as a whole. That would probably be a better direction to take any ideas on respect per revive. Flat respect per revive is going to be hard. Revive chaining is not going to happen.
av64 [2079113]
Hmm, another thoughtful. reply. Thank you.

1) Given the plethora of silly new merits arriving every Tuesday, I think I'll have to disagree with you here. I think revive merits as a mirror for attack merits would be regarded as much more meaningful.

2) Ched may want to re-think this: Torn is older now, the population is different. There are many people who are here for the social aspect more than was the case before. I think as the number of players over 10 years has grown, so the nature of the game has changed. The new scheme for level 100 players shows that this is being taken seriously.

3). We are almost agreeing here: respect for revives is a Good Thing. Once we have it though, the natural progression in game mechanics is to have something like chaining for revives. In this way, factions set up for it can 'farm' respect like their attacking cousins do. I disagree that it would be a big step as the mechanism for attacking already exists - the revive equivalent would be simpler and may be the model for future 'Guild-based' respect models.

There is another thread to do with revive skill. I'm less keen on using that as a bonus for revive respect. That would be a complicated thing; too complicatd for what I have in mind here.

4) Again, we are agreeing that something could be done to cater for those players and factions who don't have a great desire to be aggressive and attack their fellows.

TL;DR
Thanks for your constructive comments and feedback.

However, revive chaining definitely won't happen if people don't ask for it and vote for it....
Bainz [2101476]
The only major piece I think you are at odd with Ched here is 3. I’m not sure the current state of respect farming was intentional. To recommend a mirror for revivers to that would probably be shot down.