I spend most of my time making money while flying to conduct legitimate business overseas. Now unfortunately that means I can only check my legitimate secondhand store of cute knickknacks I obtain on the weekends at yard sales when I'm in TC. Since I'm a savvy businessman and technology abounds I have a top of the line laptop which I use to check the news, do some minor programming (to hone my skills), and chat with folks on some cool forums, I was wondering when Torn will allow me to take my curio shop to the online space. I would love to be able to buy some cute plushies for my grandmother (who has a genetic disease by the way) while I conduct my legitimate business overseas.
TL;DR Can we add the item market and bazaar management to the laptop/desktop usage?
Do you mean management as in managing your own listings? Like changing prices, removing, adding items? First I thought you meant being able to buy items while flying, which is not a great idea imo. Managing tho couldn't hurt I think.
I think buying and selling would be beneficial. Just make sure you have an idea of how much cash you have when you leave so you don't spend too much with purchases while flying.
Why do you think buying would be a bad idea? You've been around alot longer than me so I assume you have some rationale I don't know about yet.
That's a fair point, but I'd think that if I can buy and sell stocks while I fly (not terribly effectively tbh) I could theoretically do the same with items.
good idea but think the idea behind bazaars and item-market is that physical presence is required. Thus we're not able to walk around bazaars while in hospital/jail/flying.
Why do you think buying would be a bad idea? You've been around alot longer than me so I assume you have some rationale I don't know about yet.
is well answered by the next person
I think it's well balanced so that when you fly it's a sacrifice of your time and access!
Selling and buying stocks isn't easy. To buy, you need a big sum of money (usually) and selling takes time because of queues.
What would be interesting tho, to be able to use Auction House on laptop. Make laptops relevant again!
Indeed, Auction House would be a great addition while flying as items that are sold there aren't normal market items. So no big change for the market eco-system.
Adding, removing, buying items defienetely no. Managing prices could be okay-ish i guess
I think that it would be fine to manage prices, open/close bazaar, and therefore to also remove items from bazaar/market. They would just go to your inventory. As I said buying is not a good idea. Not sure about adding items to the market/bazaar. I don't know if it had a big impact or not but I don't think people would put up very expensive items or items in great quantity while flying because you would risk getting mugged overseas.
Being able to see the market and bazaars while flying and managing prices, listings, etc. would set a new level for mugging. People can keep an eye on if someone has just sold something while flying and mug right away when they land. So I think it would be balanced enough that you may add listings at the risk of someone buying the item and mugging when you land.
Allowing addition of items on the item market bazaar essentially mean this: I can buy to my travel max put it up for sale, repeat till there aren't any more stock. I honestly dont want to fly to a place to realize someone wiped out the stock and have to wait for it to come again... I would also have to compete w those who are super attentive and have a better internet than me. Sorry thats an R-
I agree with the idea mentioned here, naturally you'd not be able to immediately sell item's you just picked up overseas nor list them until you got back to TC.
It's been suggested before and would never be added. Think about it, everyone that ever owned a bazaar would be flying 24/7 without ever being potentially mugged. Your bazaar is literally a low tech market stall with a little old person sat there selling your cast off's for cash, not bit coin or online transactions via DayPal or some other knock off. Cash. The same applies to adding or managing stock.
Try considering game mechanics before typing up your light bulb ideas.
You must be new to the game, alot of people with bazaars do tend to fly close to 24/7. It's how they generally come up with stock for their bazaars. Additionally they do direct trades with players in bulk to obtain items.
Periodically some people will buy and flip items on the item market, but that's generally at a much lower profit margin unless you get lucky with someone who misclicked, or forgot to add a '0' to their item's price.
Also you are aware that you can be mugged overseas correct? The same basic principles to flying would apply to item market management. If you have alot of cash on hand you may very well get mugged and left in a hospital overseas.
Yeah the 800 odd days I've got compared to your geriatric 240 really make a lot of difference. What I was implying is that if your suggestion, became validated then there'd be no need to be in Torn at all. Ever.
You really need to do more ground work. Saying "You must be new to the game" when clearly I'm not makes you look silly. I've done my share of travelling and bazaar management, it's why I've seen suggestions like this before.
They, and others, tend to be recycled every few weeks. Honestly, it's like clockwork but without the Orange.
Yeah, I saw that you were 800 days or so old, but that doesn't necessarily mean 800 consecutive days. That was primarily based on you seeming to claim that purchases while flying would mess with the overseas mugging, but receiving money from either a faction or property vault from a VM or a spouse greatly or even just asking a friend for an instant loan, limits the amount of time you have to spend overseas with cash on hand. The only difference is my proposal would allow you to do something aside from browse forums while flying.
I assume I'm not the first person to come up with this type of idea, granted I didn't see anything with a quick browse of the first handful of forum pages. So if this idea has been brought up and shot down by the community before, thats fine. Making a claim that my suggestion would break the mechanics of the game without making any real argument for the destruction of mechanics and failing to demonstrate basic understanding of how to keep money safe from muggers while overseas, just makes you seem like you're new to the concepts you claim my suggestion violates.
You must be new to the game, flying 24/7 is intended for travel runner which is easy profit without much effort. The trade off is u cant do much stuff with very low risk(unless you are running xanax). U know travel running is one of the reason inflation happen. Giving nore chance to make money while doing it will be counter intuitive on what Ched tring to achieve, which is slowing the inflation.