Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Flying in Reverse

Started by Kylar_Stern [1302645] on in Bugs & Issues.

39 replies · 524 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 40 / 40 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Cthulhu [1616063]
Nope no idea. And I've had no response from anyone so I'll move this to Bugs & Issues for someone to confirm.
I'm wondering if there was a server reset or something during this time. I don't remember anything but my memory isn't great at the best of times.
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
Stewie pointed me in the right direction. This is the report that led to this "fix". The data for the personal stats Total Flights was misaligned with the actual sum of individual locations. It was fixed manually by Joe on 03.02.2020. This primarily affected older IDs.

Your personal stats went downwards when you took the next flight after this date. Since you can only see a weekly data at this level of zoom, the graph can go down at a different week for different players depending on when they took their next flight.

Thanks..!!

Edit: Corrected the information.

Mentions: API Call: Numbers don't match.

Leafeh [467479]
I'm confused. So peoples times travelled were manually changed to an incorrect value to force some kind of alignment?

This all seems very strange if I'm understanding that thread correctly. Users even seem to be posting in there that this "fix" was incorrect.

I don't understand how a users total times travelled can just drop by such amounts unless there was a bug causing flights that didn't actually happen to be registered, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Aren't these graphs supposed to be factually accurate?

Am I missing something here?
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
I have edited my post, I misinterpreted the fixed report.

The sum of individual traveled locations didn't add up to be equal to the total Times Traveled stat. The total times traveled was higher for some players and was hence fixed to be consistent.
Kylar_Stern [1302645]
The server called more "total" flights than the sum of the flights to the individual countries.

So there must have been an incorrect calculation or call up of the information.

Joe, I would assume, manually changed the way this call up would function and this was activated by flying again, i.e. adding a plus to the relevant integer slot, thereby actioning the new call up calculation command.
-BC-M16 [1002535]
Except it’s not actually fixing it. Those flights did happen. It’s not our fault personal stats didn’t record individual flight locations. So is older players have lost a number of total flights. Pretty unfair really.
Leafeh [467479]
Yeah, this was my understanding on reading the linked "fix".

Stats that were actually correct have been made incorrect for the sake of alignment.
-BC-M16 [1002535]
No those flights did happen. Only total flights used to be recorded. Then later they started recording which individual country each flight went to.
Leafeh [467479]
Just to confirm this for everyone, the stat graphs showing times travelled to individual locations displayed with total times travelled overall displays this fairly obviously. You can see when the "fix" was implemented the total times travelled drops by the same amount as the total times travelled I had prior to individual locations starting to track on the graph.



[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
Doing either isn't going to help. The fix was implemented and there's no way Ched is going to Undo those changes. He was aware of the total flights going down for players after the script ran and it was deemed as a non-issue. This is only to make things more consistent in your personal stats.

Edit: Stewie gave me another link where Joe had addressed the exact same query. Filing another report will only get classified as duplicate. Sorry!

Mentions: Missing travelled times - Update? (If any?)

Leafeh [467479]
More consistent, by making them incorrect?

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense. I'd be more inclined to not see this as an issue if honours didn't exist for 100 and 1000 times traveled. People are losing flights they've actually done for no good reason.

And even if that wasn't the case, people rely on these stats and graphs to be factually accurate. How can they be confident in that if someone can just go in and make manual changes to make them incorrect? This error seemingly went undetected for months, one can only hope other instances where this has happened haven't also been overlooked.

Edit: In the other link you provided and the link within that link, this is even raised by multiple people as an issue and more appropriate corrections are offered, one even by a staff member.