Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Alt codes have changed

Started by elie350 [2065964] on in Technology.

5 replies · 58 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
13 / 100
Story score
27 / 100
Engagement score
44 / 100
elie350 [2065964]
Not sure if torn is the best place to open this discussion (which is a question as well). But well, it is the appropriate forum section.
So, let me give you a small background of what happened. I often write in french on my pc and since school, i use alt codes for special characters. e.g. alt+130 for "é"
Just yesterday, i used alt+130 and got "é". Today, while writing something in french, i type alt+130 but instead of the e acute, i get a symbol of a question mark in a diamond.
Strange, i think. I dig on the internet a bit and find a new table that tells me to use this code alt+0233 and it works.
I try to dig more to know what happened and if i can go back to the old alt codes (because i don't want to memorize new one) but find nothing more.

Can someone please tell me if they are facing such problems? Did a change happen over the night or is there a problem on my end.
The 3 digit codes aren't working on anything (chrome, word, notepad. nothing).
And if they actually made a change (over an update for example), this is really infuriating. I really, really don't want to memorize new codes!
I hope there is a way to revert to the old alt codes.
Xeretrax [2039020]
I dont know why the French people resort to using complicated things over easier things, such as á instead of just a.
Dont get me wrong, a lot of countries have such variations, but the french take it to the stupid level IMO.
(no offence intended)

Anyways, I did find something related to it here.
https://superuser.com/questions/1451575/why-are-my-alt-codes-different-from-what-is-generally-reported-online

Look at the middle section of the answer.
I dont know if the following solution given will help you, but it might, if not you should be able to undo it easily.
At least you have a lead to work with aka "code pages" or whatever they are.
elie350 [2065964]
No offence taken. I agree, there are certain rules in french really unneeded. e.g. letters you don't pronounce.

I tried adding this code line into regedit and deleted it after noticing it didn't work. I will try again. There is windows 10 2004 version update available. I will try updating. Who knows. might fix the problem.
Worst case, i can memorize "é" code, it is the one i use the most often.

Anyway, thanks for your answer
Xeretrax [2039020]
I would strongly suggest looking into AutoHotkey.
You can easily setup a unique key combo yourself to make any other letter appear instead.

ctrl+shift+alt+a for example to make á
ctrl+shift+alt+e for example to make é


f**k alt codes. Work with AHK and you can forget all about them forever.

Its also a very versatile program.

I use it myself to mute any currently selected program completely. Instead of opening windows sound settings >volume mixer and from there do it.
Ontop of that I have a macro on my keyboard that "presses" the combo for me , so I only have to press a single button to trigger it.
Bliss.

Upon activating, it reads the current selected window pid code, then sends a mute command to a 3rd party command line processor from nirsoft
It also checks the current status and if muted already, it will unmute it instead.

Sounds more complicated then it actually is.
Eskil [2032200]
If you are ussing US keyboard you could change into US-international keyboard layout in your operating system settings. Then é is typed ALT GR + E. alt gr is right alt key. You can also type ´ followed by e to make é.