Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Bookie issue -

Started by BEAST [2011090] on in Bugs & Issues.

28 replies · 163 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 29 / 29 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
29
Discussion span
→
Authority score
61 / 100
Historical score
35 / 100
Story score
47 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

BEAST [2011090]

Hi, bookies been broken for over 1 year now, just wondering whats happening about that?...
"Waiting for new bookie provider" has been the message for far to long now.


[image: i.gyazo.com]

Can any staff update us on this?

CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
That is because the update is still under development. I can still pass it up to Joe to see if he has any update to provide, I suppose. Thanks!
Aezur [1950769]
No provider has an API that updates fast enough to avoid the exploit that caused the original issue. So "Waiting for new bookie provider" is the current status.

If you need new upto date info on it, read it again.
BEAST [2011090]
Why has this taken over 1 year though?
Maybe its time to explore different alternatives to get it working again, we cant go on like this Ched
BEAST [2011090]
You use to provide selections and odds yourself without a provider, maybe it's time to revert to that again?
Because realistically if it's not been fixed in one whole year, it's never getting fixed...
Batman [984129]
Couldnt you do some kind of system where the bet is cancelled if the line changes drastically and is delayed when updating? I would think the same methods players were using to find generous odds could be used by staff
BEAST [2011090]
Haha good one, I use to have 150b networth on my former account, Its beside the point lol
keego73 [1921540]
I think one of the problems is that people generally don't understand how easily the system is taken advantage of.

What happened in the summer of 2018 is hard to even call "abusing" the system. The manual updated system was essentially based on an assumption that no one was putting a lot of money into the bookie. It was never planned out. 2018 was bordering on game breaking. (I was watching from inside R*. It was insane how much money was being raked in.)

There wasn't any special skill, math, or bot that was being used. It was just a large group of players keeping track of real world events and seeing how it lined up with the torn bookie.

Staff doesn't have the man power to do this. I don't think Ched has the motivation to hire 6+ people to sit around watching the bookie, just to raise the bookie limit.

The bookie was always broken. The mistake was having a $1b cap in the first place. They really do need a new API before they can safely raise the limit.
BEAST [2011090]
Shouldn't be a $1B cap in the first place, its way too low... If someone wants to stake 50b why shouldn't they be able too
Batman [984129]
A bot would be able to flag large fluctuations I believe. In any event I dont see an issue with hiring more staff members if it was to make the player base happy. Keep in mind staff arent paid :)
Batman [984129]
A cap does make sense. There was a time it wasnt capped and it lead to a lot of people quitting after losing everything on one bet. Was also an issue because faction scamming was illegal so was being abused, that obviously would not be a concern any more. 10m is just pathetic though. At least go to 100m while it is figured out. Think is the 3rd NFL season we are going to lose :( Most frustrating part is with how NFL reports injuries there is almost never those large swings that caused trouble previously
BEAST [2011090]
Yeah but it's the same in life, no limit. I could sell up every asset I own and place it on a bet.
You have to enter the bookies with all this in mind. At least a $10b limit would be ideal. For someone who use to play high stakes, $1b is ridiculous
BEAST [2011090]
Not really understandable though is it. I don't want to be a Karen or anything, but its been a frickin year.