The problem is if you make niche merits that actually require a lot of effort, dedication, and their own gameplay path/style choice, you get people crying they are unattainable for the average player, or someone who has chosen to play the game in a specific way. For some reason you get people who feel like they are entitled to be able to just have everything possible.
Ched said at one point that he has no interest in adding merits/honours that take a long time to achieve on a specific path/playstyle. So don't get your hopes up.
This is the reason why you get flooded with basic bitch shit like "defeat someone with your hands on X day of the year" instead of something actually impressive that requires dedication and effort.
Edit: I actually found the quote from Ched
I'm not interested in adding additional honours / awards that pretty much require a user to dedicate their entire life to a single gameplay path. We've already made this mistake a couple of times and I don't want to repeat it. For example, the over-kill of awards for marriage duration.
with the idea of having merits/honours for reaching milestones in revives performed while abroad.
Honors that are specific challenges would be fine. If you have suggestions for these we can absolutely add them. Even one for simply "Reviving someone abroad" would work.
So yeah, this is why you'd get merits/honours added for something basic like "Revive someone while abroad", which takes all of one flight and one time energy spent and that anyone can do easily, as opposed to something more long term and requiring dedication like "Revive 1000 people while abroad".
I can appreciate why it's done this way, I just personally think it limits the game, and makes it a lot less fun in the long run. Torn is touted as a long term game after all, meaning long term challenges shouldn't be avoided.