Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Multi Hunter (overrated?)

Started by Kobie [2156358] on in General Discussion.

22 replies · 746 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
34 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Kobie [2156358]
So we all hear how much of a great job that the multi hunter does. I must admit that I'm a fan myself and glad that so many multies seem to get caught these days.

The trouble is when you see factions like this one. I mean... Come on! You don't need to have the intelligence of Albert Einstein to see that this is definitely not right. I mean, they aren't even trying to not look suspicious.

Discussion: Do you think multi hunter is overrated? Is it catching all that it should? Am I paranoid in thinking that the faction listed above are a bunch of multies? I have no evidence... I'll probably be told that there's not enough to go on if I were to report them. What do you guys think of this?
Ashel [2484502]
I wanted my brother to make an account so I can nab a referral merit off him but I don't wanna get fedded lol :'(
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Staff and the multi hunter see more than just a group of friends trolling people with the same names...


This is why we have a high burden of proof to ensure a minimal amount of false hits.


Trust me when I say - if something is "obvious" to you then imagine how much more "obvious" (or not...) it might appear to staff, it's very frustrating to be 90% sure someone's a multi but unable to conclusively prove it - but I am patient as is my team, it's a case of when not if we catch people.


In this case though... Is it suspicious? Sure. Are they all multis? No.
Traxler [2093418]
I remember one evening somebody uploads on the market a bunch of cans 20% under price. I rush to buy most of them, message the player to check if he has more, but he's already offline. Two minutes later: another player, exactly the same deal. In response to my message, he blocks me and blacklists me.

Three next "players" blocked and blacklisted me before putting anything on sale. Was super frustrating to see all these cheap cans and not being able to buy :)

Reported - "not enough evidence"
Storned [2199695]
I have been playing this game alongside my Irl friend, and we do transactions frequently.

I totally understand how that Multihunter isn't based on "obvious" cues you get if you transfer money, but much more than that.
I too was paranoid at the beginning but I guess it is okay to play with close IPs unless nothing fishy is goin on.

But hella suspicious, the faction tht Kobie linked to ??
Kobie [2156358]
"In this case though... Is it suspicious? Sure. Are they all multis? No."

You seem sure. And, I guess with all the tools you have at your disposal to check you should be. Perhaps I rely on my gut instinct too often then (and not just in this case). It certainly is frustrating when something seems so obvious though. But, as you say, it's even more frustrating for you to not be able to act unless you have 100% concrete evidence (despite your suspicions).

I realise that we don't know the half of things going on behind the scenes. I just have a happy trigger finger I suppose. Give me the ability to fed accounts for 1 week. I'll get rid of all the multies (and many innocent bystanders whilst I'm at it). ;)
DedeSiregar [2430598]
They will get caught eventuallyif they really cheat. Humans make mistakes all the time. And truth always finds its way to show the light
Riot [974353]
CR had a bunch of them called MeanX at one point, didn’t make them all MeanMikes Multi’s could just be people having their fun.


That said, if you do find it sus just report them and let MH and staff deal with it
Kobie [2156358]
I haven't reported it because my friend who pointed it out to me already has. I was just curious as to why the multi hunter doesn't seem to pick things up that are obvious (or at least seem that way). I guess the fact is that nothing can be acted upon until cheaters are caught with their pants down.
Beerstein [1322136]
I mean if I got banned for every time I was reported as a multi I woulda been banned more times than I can count (mostly in the past) I don't think anyone would think I'm a multi anymore. Sometimes it just looks it but yeah...It's easy to see a lot when you can see everything. These dudes are probably very obviously not.

Since Torn is a browser game I'd imagine as bogie mentioned it's very frustrating to "almost" have people. You can only do so much, so I'm sure some do get away with it. It honestly wouldn't be that hard to be a multi, being one to feed into another though...I think that's where they catch people.
Jeremiahcron [2350797]
This is fine just as long as it is your brother and not you I had my ex wife (wife at the time) start playing and it was obvious that we weren’t the same plus I think she quit around level 9 (da bish) and I sent her lots of free stuff to help her start but it didn’t pay off cause she didn’t send anything back and quit before I got anything from her hitting level 10.

I also have a roommate who I got to start playing but he’s not as active as I would like him to be(the jerk) and helped him out as well.

then I get my new girlfriend to play and she stops at level one(ugh)
MathuNZ [1481118]
Torn staff dealing with:

DDOS attacks
DP multiplication
Bookie scandal
RMT
Unique's hoarding slowing the servers
High level multis

Kobie:

But these guys all have the same name!?!
Kobie [2156358]
Staff here do a good job imo. This post is not about bashing them for not doing what they should. It's about multi hunter which is supposedly fully automated software (not really an issue with staff dealing with anything). The faction that I linked was simply to give an example of something that seems to be multies but is not picked up. One example of many. I just queried wether multi hunter manages to find all that it should.