Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Combination Chests Guide

Started by Faceless [2565329] on in Tutorials & Guides.

11 replies · 1.01k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
10
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
62 / 100
Faceless [2565329]
Chest Guide:
Before I start, I know there is already a guide, the technique seems the same as mine but there is something different about it that I can’t tell what it is. Here is a link to it and you can use whichever works the best.
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=61&t=16131289&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=19831761

I will teach you the best way to open the combination chest in Christmas Town.

For people who aren’t familiar, I will go over the basics. There are three slots that go up to nine and you can “check” the combination 4 times. Each slot can check either red, orange or green.
Red - Wrong
Orange - Correct in a different slot
Green - Correct and you will not be able to change the slot number (important to keep in mind for later)

To achieve the knowledge of the correct combination, you want to be able to test as many slots open which means knowing which number goes in each slot but not putting it in as this as I mentioned before, will remove the slot from play. You want to be able to effectively test all 9 numbers in as little checks as possible. Here is an example of one of the worst case scenarios:

You gain green on two of the slots on the first turn. This may seem great but then you will only be able to check 2 other numbers with your single slot, leaving only 5 slots checked, 2 of them being correct (I don’t know there can be repeat numbers, I will ask a mod sometime or someone could confirm) leaving you having to make your final decision with 4 numbers being unknown

First, you want to check the pre-set combination, 1, 2 and 3. For the second check, turn the combination to check 4, 5 and 6 (or just 4 and 5 if you got a green in the first check) After the first two checks, you should’ve kept which slots had orange in which number in mind (write it down if you can’t remember). WHICH SLOT IS VERY IMPORTANT. You want to put the orange numbers on a slot which is not the original. If you had one orange, turn the other two slots that aren’t being tested to the two lowest numbers which haven’t been tested 7 and 8 or 6 and 7 depending on previous checks (numbers aren’t exact, may vary on experiences). If you had two oranges, check two slots and turn the last slot to check another number. For your fourth and final check, the best case scenario would be to have narrowed down all the numbers. Remember your previous orange checks and if it is still orange, switch the number to the last unchecked slot. If you have checked at least i numbers and checked two oranges, you can move the two orange numbers to the two slots and change the last slot to 9 as that is the last number.

I put some of my attempts as a visual for people who have trouble understanding the jumble of words up there ^

My f**king images disappeared -_- The site I used probably closed or something, dammit.
NotoriousThug [1593113]
And what if you get a green in the first 1,2,3 check? That means there’s always going to be two numbers you have to guess at, usually 8 or 9?
Faceless [2565329]
What was your question? If I get a green in the first check, I just make do with checking 4,5 and continue in the process but with two available slots.
NotoriousThug [1593113]
After losing to the guess two or three times I decided to start checking 9-8-7 first as that seemed to get a green first attempt less than 1-2-3 did, after that my success improved.