Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Addiction Mitigation

Started by CornHub [2423014] on in General Discussion.

195 replies · 5.02k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 196 / 196 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Robbo [1826175]
If you're permanently on xanax instead of filling 4 full branches of stat passives to negate negative effects I can just fill one branch now?

jackpot.
FidelCashflow [1993550]
Or for a low work stat player to be able to join a company that has higher reqs. 10 effectiveness translates to 10s of thousands of work stats at the low end and 100s of thousands at a high end.
CornHub [2423014]
I don't think so, I think it means X% of already existing addiction as opposed to X% addiction 'flat out'
Also, xanax cooldown stat isn't the same as addiction stat reduction
Ninivah [1950421]
15:33:24 - 29/12/2020 You assigned 1x merits to (1/10)
15:33:26 - 29/12/2020 You assigned 2x merits to (2/10)
15:33:30 - 29/12/2020 You assigned 3x merits to (3/10)

woot!
gnar [2268922]
addiction mitigation from faction upgrades and merit upgrades are additive? so up to 50% total addiction mitigation (30% from faction + 20% from merits) ?
Robbo [1826175]
yeah I just bothered to look properly.

thats totally retarded if it's the case, the results of addiction are basically nothing
Adrenalinas [1974447]
Edit:

Just read Andyman post and now think this is shitty update (effects just company and now directors will be more demanding)
I don`t spend 110 merits just to be more effective in company it really not worth it (unless Cheds starts pumping new easy merits each week again)
Space [2386328]
"4. At a point, older players who have done all edu and are still getting printed merits each week, are wondering where to dump them that they’ll be useful."

This is directly quoted from the suggestion post which gave the idea to Ched. I'm sure there will be enough discussion for the new merit spending methods so I'll not be mentioning my raw ideas on it. So, I want to express how I feel about "new merit upgrades". I believe the number of younger players who haven't done with education and still trying to earn more merits to build a efficient merit upgrade tree are a lot higher than the number of older players who are looking to dump their merits into something usefull.

I'm aware merit system is not built to have it all but to choose your own path yet this new system won't change anything for older players. Unlike Ched I think younger players with lower working stats will be forced to upgrade new trees and the one who does will take a quite hit to some other upgrade tree such as health bar, crit or passive str, spd, def, dex.
Hornz [2220919]
I will not be putting a single merit into employee effectiveness either. My merits are for my personal gain, not my directors.

That's a bit backwards isn't it? Do you seek out jobs that provide trains to increase your working stats? If so, by your logic, that'd also be for your director's benefit.

Boosting your employee effectiveness is essentially like increasing your working stats, allowing you to be accepted in to positions with better specials and higher pay. Maybe your working stats are so high that increased effectiveness isn't needed, and if so that's awesome. This merit category isn't for you, but there are a lot of people that can make great use of it.

To say that it's solely for the director's benefit is a bit silly. Companies are one of those things that are a 2 way street. Directors need good employees to have a high star company and employees need a high star company for good specials.
Andyman [471591]
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, here is my preliminary analysis:

[image: i.imgur.com]

- Addiction doesn't start impacting your battlestats until you see the ol' brain icon; so it's my understanding this merit branch will do nothing for your passive battlestats if your game play already revolves around rehabbing upon seeing the brain icon. (Which you absolutely should be doing if you're warring and doing missions... fighting with any addiction level lowers your chance of winning in battle and therefore wasting 25e, so fighting with any addiction level is arguably dumb )

Arrow pointing to what is impacted by the Addiction Mitigation merit branch with regard to battlestat passives. It's NOT the drug negative %, it's the addiction negative %.
[image: i.imgur.com]

- Addiction impacts your workstats immediately upon taking drugs after returning from rehab; so this branch will help lessen the impact on your workstats from each drug you take. This will help make you a better employee between rehabs. If you're in a competitive industry (10-star farm, for example) and you have a director who will sack you upon seeing your effectiveness drop to a certain level, it could very well be worth throwing some merits into this branch. That said, throwing merits into this branch just to work in a certain industry is an opportunity cost and may not result in more daily pay.

- This branch can extend the amount of time between rehabs for those at risk of losing gym access and having their education restarted. This might be handy if you're trying to build up a crapton of addiction points before reading the Book : Milk Yourself Sober (the book removes a huge amount of drug addiction upon completion) while maintaining your gym/education place. That said, I don't think you'd find too many players who would invest large amounts of merits just to extend the time between flights to Switzerland by a relatively small amount.

- This branch does nothing to lower addiction point gain to save you $ on rehab. Even with 55 merits invested into the Addiction Mitigation merit branch, you will still get 35 addiction points per Xanax you take (or 18 addiction points per Xanax you take with the Addiction XXV unlocked in your faction) so your periodic rehab expenses will not drop.
[image: i.imgur.com]

- This branch can help players out who have a negative networth and can't have a positive cash balance on hand to rehab. (Duke loans and past cheaters who had illicit funds removed can result in negative networth)

- This branch actually hurts the few players who purposely use addiction (and often radiation sickness) to nerf their strength to level up weapons more efficiently per attack. (Weapon experience is gained for doing a positive damage hit, so you want to extend fights as long as possible... which often means lowering your strength)


________________________________________



[image: i.imgur.com]

- This branch is pretty straightforward, in theory you could ask for more pay from your director from having merits in this branch.

- Like the Addiction Mitigation branch (above) If you're in a competitive industry (10-star farm, for example) and you have a director who will sack you upon seeing your effectiveness drop to a certain level, it could very well be worth throwing some merits into this branch to hedge against the risk of getting cut!

- This branch might be able to be used by players with relatively low workstats who wouldn't otherwise qualify for a job in a specific industry.

- I'm not sure if this branch would impact your company as a director. It's my understanding that directors don't have effectiveness.

Hope that helps!
- Andyman
VitaGreta [1867016] Wiki Contributor
So now a director cant hover over the effectivness of an employee and see how it is broken down? How is any director supposed to know if an employee has put merits on effectivness?
Adrenalinas [1974447]
So in short if you active and go rehab at 1-2% of addiction this 2 merit branches is just for company.
I think It would be waist of 55 or 110 merits to put just for get better pay (I don`t think directors will pay super good for this 2 upgrades)

Thx for explaining, because I though new merits reduce negative effect of drug (your passive stats will be bigger on Xanax, if ched would do that that would be worth 55 merits)
Andyman [471591]
Correct - In fact, I just tested it to confirm there is no reduction of negative passives from the drug itself (as opposed to just addiction). I put 6 merits into Addiction Mitigation and still have -25%. (Xanax gives -35% x .70 from faction side effect X = 25%)

[image: i.imgur.com]

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

That would be a huge indirect nerf to Vicodin if that was the case since Vicodin only has positive effects!
Hornz [2220919]
- Addiction doesn't start impacting your battlestats until you see the ol' brain icon; so it's my understanding this merit branch will do nothing for your passive battlestats if your game play already revolves around rehabbing upon seeing the brain icon. (Which you absolutely should be doing if you're warring and doing missions... fighting with any addiction level lowers your chance of winning in battle and therefore wasting 25e, so fighting with any addiction level is arguably dumb )

I might be totally wrong here as well so please correct me if I'm wrong also, but I don't know that we've ever confirmed if the reduction to negative side effects from addiction are calculated before or after what is visually shown with the "brain icon".

I'm going to assume it's calculated before hand because when I show -5% addiction, my battle stat passives also show -5% from addiction, instead of -4% (rounded). If that's the case, we can assume that with the added 20% reduction from Addiction Mitigation, you could take more drugs before your brain icon ever shows up.
VitaGreta [1867016] Wiki Contributor
Addiction mitigation (to some extent yes with battle stats/education) nor effectiveness does not seem to affect company directors either!

In order for a balance there should be a "company director" merit system as well working the same way. There is a whole merit branch now "effectiveness" that no director ever will be able to take benefit from.. is that fair?
Spliffy [315389]
I’m #521 rated in working stats. I log in daily and rehab sooner than I need to. I already do enough for any company I work for.

Sure, the lower statted guys might get more of a benefit out of it, but I still think it’s a very useless thing to dump merits into.