I was thinking of doing some cold weather camping. I was thinking about buying a hot tent, can anyone offer information about what other cost to expect other than the tent and stove.
Also, can anyone tell me how effective it is to set up a tent then on top of the tent put a layer of mylar or an emergency blanket, then add the rain fly. will the mylar act to insulate the tent.
It would not be camping in sub zero weather probably not below 20 degrees or so. I have had a decent amount of regular camping, just not a lot in freezing temperatures. thanks for any help.
Hello!
This kind of thing is just in my wheelhouse. I actually kind of prefer winter camping over summer camping, and if there is snow I am all about it.
Let me start off by saying that I do not have experience with a hot tent and have never used a stove for heat while camping because it hasn't been necessary for me. If that is the route you want to take, sounds great It would be very nice to have a warm tent interior.
The other stuff you mentioned I do have more experience with.
When it comes to tenting in the winter I personally do not think wrapping the tent in mylar is necessary because in reality, the tent won't offer much insulation from the cold. What the tent will do is block any wind using the rainfly (so it has to be pretty study) and act as a waterproof barrier between you and the outside world (both above you and below you).
Some other things that I have found to be true is that for a comfortable winter camping experience you have got to have some kind of sleeping pad/mattress that provides a layer of insulation between you and the ground. I've read that a layer of insulation below you is equal to two above you. And of course, having a good sleeping bag with a higher fill power and lower temperature rating is important (I would say a 5 degree bag at least). The insulation of the sleeping bag can be supplemented with mylar by using it in/around your sleeping bag to directly reflect your body heat back to you.
So, full circle if you have a good wind/water-resistant tent your body heat will eventually heat up the inside and mylar should not be necessary, especially with a stove inside. In my opinion, the ground pad and sleeping bag are arguably more important.
Hope this helped!
I'll never forget camping as a kid after I was cold one night, my dad put a simple camping foam roll under my air mattress DUDE the difference is like night and day freaking incredible.
You'd think there'd be no huge impact just having the air mattress sitting on the foam, but I guess without it, it loses a shit ton of heat into the floor somehow.
The main thing is sleeping comfortably imo so you can spend your energy moving and keeping warm in the day. Good rest makes all the difference.