I have seen this question asked a few times, and was suggested I make a guide for it. Never know who this might help! I didn't know these features existed up until recently.
Most of us know, searching the forums for information is so useful, but it can be extremely tedious wading through different posts that highlight the words you might be looking for, but not really showing you what you are really really after.
Luckily for us, the torn wiki gives us different ways to narrow down our searches!
The search engine is powered by Sphinx, looking for keywords that are a maximum of 5 words apart at most. A few punctuations can be used to enhance your search:
Please note, I have not tried this out much myself. Simply saw it posted in the QnA forum, and was told I should share it with everyone else. Feel free to report your findings if you play around with these enhancements!
https://wiki.torn.com/wiki/Forums#Forum_Search < Where I found the info of course. :)
Most of us know, searching the forums for information is so useful, but it can be extremely tedious wading through different posts that highlight the words you might be looking for, but not really showing you what you are really really after.
Luckily for us, the torn wiki gives us different ways to narrow down our searches!
The search engine is powered by Sphinx, looking for keywords that are a maximum of 5 words apart at most. A few punctuations can be used to enhance your search:
- Hyphen/Minus (-) - find posts that do not contain the following word.
- list safe -crime doesn't contain "crime"
- Equal Sign (=) - find posts where the following word is exactly this (no plural forms).
- list safe =crime contains exactly "crime"
- Circumflex Accent (^) - find posts that begin with the following word
- list ^beginning crimes begins with "beginning"
- Dollar Sign ($) - find posts that end with the preceding word
- list ending$ crimes ends with "ending"
- Double Less-Than Sign (<<) - find posts with the preceding word preceding the following word
- one << four << two the word "one" must come before "four", and "four" must come before "two"
Please note, I have not tried this out much myself. Simply saw it posted in the QnA forum, and was told I should share it with everyone else. Feel free to report your findings if you play around with these enhancements!
https://wiki.torn.com/wiki/Forums#Forum_Search < Where I found the info of course. :)