Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

White privilege... best explaination I have heard

Started by MachineGunSteve [184119] on in Politics & Law.

353 replies · 2.36k views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 354 / 354 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
354
Discussion span
→
Authority score
13 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
54 / 100
Engagement score
88 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

MachineGunSteve [184119]
white privilege

Agree or disagree that white privilege is still a thing in 2021... this dude makes pretty good sense, in my opinion.

Let us try not to fight over this one, please.

Share your opinion, but try to do it in a manner that is respectful.

Thanks.
Bhappychap [2270497]
"Equality is not a pie"


"Least rigged against, in a system that is rigged against us all"


This guy put it as perfectly as anyone can, I believe.
MachineGunSteve [184119]
There is a good case to be made that this is true.

But there are obviously strong counter arguments.

One need only look at the list of the worlds richest people... and the corollary... the worlds poorest people.
Phil-I-P [2035498]
On a sliding scale, I'd say I somewhat agree. It might just be from my own personal experience, or simply because I'm from the UK, but I think it has more to do with class than race.

HOWEVER, I also understand that most ethnic groups are more likely to fall into the lower class brackets than they are the middle/upper class.

I've always believed that if you want a 'fairer' society, starting with disparities in class should be the first step. It won't fix every problem, but it would be a good start for almost every demographic (gender, race etc.) in almost every area (crime stats, education, healthcare etc.). When you look at statistics showing disparities with regards to race, it is usually the poorest of those groups which tend to be hit the hardest.
S-I-N [2066961]
Okay, let's take a look at the data. First off, generational wealth is a thing. My parents lived in America at a time when there were legal differences between the races. For this reason alone, there are bound to be differences in the wealth controlled by members of different races. While this does play into class privilege, it is impossible to take race our of the equation. I'll put some charts at the bottom of the post if you want to see the data.
The most often talked about thing in the conversation about race is bias in policing and the justice system. Despite making up two thirds of the Ferguson population, black people made up 85% of vehicle stops, 93% of arrests, 95% of jaywalking stops, and 94% of "failure to comply" tickets. Study
Despite using drugs about the same amount, in 2002, black Americans were incarcerated for drug offenses at 10 times the rate white Americans were. The same study shows that 97% of "large population counties" have racial bias in their drug incarceration. Study
In Washington DC, the black population is 25% greater than the white population, but they are 410% more likely to be stopped by the police. The disparity grows to 1465% for stops that lead to a no-warning ticket and to 3695% for searches that lead to nothing. Study
Now the common counter argument is that because black people do more crime, this over policing is necessary. However, an analysis of 4.5 million traffic stops in North Carolina shows that black and latino drivers were much more likely to be stopped than white drivers, even though stops of white drivers were more likely to reveal contraband. Study
In 2012, black male defendants received federal prison sentences that were 19.1% longer than white male offenders in the same income bracket and a similar number of past convictions. Study
An examination of federal data shows that black people in the US spend about 10% more time in prison than white who commit the same crime, and black people are 75% more likely to be charged with a crime that carries a mandatory minimum. [url=https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/11/16/black-men-sentenced-to-more-time-for-committing-the-exact-same-crime-as-a-white-person-study-finds/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2e26662cc5f3&httpsredir=1&article=2413&context=articles]Study[/url]
Even US Government data suggests that black people are less likely to receive plea bargains than white people. Study
Black defendants are 28% more likely to be labeled "habitual offenders" than white defendants with the same prior convictions. Study
I have more data on this if anyone is interested, but I don't want to make this post too long.
Data showing wealth disparities from The Federal Reserve.
https://prnt.sc/zqpepz
https://prnt.sc/zqt4q9
I don't have the answers of how to fix this, but the first step is understanding that there's a problem. After seeing this data, you should probably either adjust your worldview or respond with studies that defend your position. The position that systemic racism exists in the US is backed by the data, and as someone who considers himself to be politically informed, I want my positions to be backed by the data.
EddieLee706 [1591144]
I was gonna downvote this, but Steve ask us nicely not to fight over this. EDIT: 2 People beat me to it though it seems.

We know where I stand on this. For those who are a little slow or new to PnL forums, it's the opposite of what Hoch said on this one.
Limpd [789073]
Classism is a real issue in most places in the world were working our way there soon like I said before it's a privilege to get sunburned easier and get cancer easier I guess, other than than anything that brings it up will just cause more division the news media does enough of that and our schools are kicking it in high gear.
Laughingman91 [2044206]
see now as a Briton, you just can't compare - and yet people do. I read ur wall of text, and it doesn't seem like shit you pulled out your ass, or someones ass. Most of that stuff is probably true. But there's a huge difference between the US, and even Canada, and the rest of the west.

Like idk, since BLM and antifa and the biden/trump election, i've recently lost a lot of american friends cause I was insensitive to their plight in regards to white privilege. Cos as a white guy I won't accept in my reality living in the UK, that white privilege exists. I really don't think it exists over here in the UK to any meaningful extent, and like the others said, Classism is much more the common denominator. But tbh the more I think about it, the more f**ked up America looks lol and i'm starting to buy into it a bit. But only in America.
S-I-N [2066961]
I wish I had data on non-US countries, but you're going to have to do your own research. I'm sure there is data being collected on it, but after all the reading I did earlier to put together my original post, I don't feel like sifting though more studies.
Remember, The Race Relations Act was only passed in 1965, so I'm sure there is some advantage given to white people purely though generational wealth. The UK is also much more white than the US, so it's possible you just see racism on the news less. For the most part, Europeans to seem to be more accepting of other races and cultures, but that's just my experience.
Classism is certainly the major factor, even in the US. A divided working class can take no meaningful steps in fulfilling their class interest. The solution is to fight racism and classism at the same time. Understanding that we are all being disadvantaged by the systems in place is paramount, and if we want to really fight it, it's going to take more than just white people. Any member of the 99% of the population has more in common with any other member of the 99% than we do with the 1%, regardless of factors like race.
Intersectionality is, in my opinion the solution to these issues. Understanding that the economic model we live under uses racism to divide us (and to justify it's brutality), and understanding that our goals as the 99% our not compatible with the goals of the ruling class is the first step. By creating antagonism between the races (and between different nationalities), the ruling class can make us shoot each other rather than fighting against them.
There's a fairly niche German Philosopher from the 1850s who explains class interest much better than I do, I can dm you some good books to read on it if you're interested.
Limpd [789073]
I'm sure it's different in different parts of the world I would have a hard time walking around a slum of mexico city or uganda guaranteed.
MachineGunSteve [184119]
Dude... nobody doubts that a white guy in the wrong part of town isn't going to get his fair share of "hard time"... that isn't the point.

Go back and listen to the words in the video. Play it several times. Think about it. Then in your heart of hearts think about whether you feel like there is any truth involved.

We all know that tribalism is alive and well in 2021. But that isn't the point.

In my opinion.
Limpd [789073]
I did listen to it,so when are you going to give up an extra car for someone or a free room for rent in your house that guy sounded like he can do anything about it,unless all us evil white people sell half our things then give your first born daughter up and then kill yourself we can't do much,
bottom line is I never treat anybody different so I don't know what System I can change besides killing myself or giving away everything I make to I guess your saying a black person,or someone that just crossed a border. Love the way you virtue signal but how much have you donated in your lifetime to people in need (only the dark ones)? Being on disability doesn't count
MachineGunSteve [184119]
You love the way I "virtue signal", and then you brag about what a great and charitable guy you are... you didn't hurt your shoulder patting your own back did you?

What we can do is stop electing people who work to maintain the status quo. What we can do is work to require that our government, and police treat everyone the same way regardless of skin color or ethnicity.

If you are already doing those things, and you feel there is no more for you to do, then I respect that, and say:

More power to you.
Limpd [789073]
But how will we do that have like a point system , your acting as if the laws are different here for each person as a matter of fact most union jobs have a quota on who they hire due to color of skin or gender so what more? As far as police treating people different it's hard when %wise we see a slanted criminality based on demographics,
like let's show carjackings,raypes,murders based on percentage it's hard to differentiate between who's getting treated better or worse.
As far as me bragging I haven't been more charitable it was just an example of my interpretations of what they want the white devil to do based on the video and your responses
MachineGunSteve [184119]
None of that matters.

If a person is arrested then treat them as a person. I am not saying don't arrest people. I am saying when you arrest them treat them the same... always... stop protecting bad cops just because they are cops, and they have a strong union.

Hire people based on their abilities and not quotas, but make damn sure that everybody in every part of the country has the same access to the same education, so that the playing field is level for everyone.

My point to this thread was to show a very well thought out description of the phrase "white privilege", and that is all. It resonated with me, so I thought I would share it, because my thinking on the issue has evolved over time, and this guy captured it in words.