64 replies · 1.59k views · thread synced · 5 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:65 / 65 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
65
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
35 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
78 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Patient[2131539]
· 31 likes · Wealth is relative, and for most people who've spent more than $1,000 in Torn, whether it be over the course of a decade or the course of a week, it's a matter of us believing we're getting the value for …
Baldr[1847600]Reporter
· 22 likes · Some people will go to the movies once a week, take their GF or wife when they go, they buy tickets, popcorn, drinks, etc. Doing that easily runs $30 or more (usually much more). If you do it once a …
Dracarys[2616230]
· 17 likes · Ok so.. Subscriber rewards are a thing, they are the most feasible way to get Books, and you can use your mission credits on Mods. So this is one big factor. The rewards are often valuable too, and bumps up …
why does people spend 1k+ on this game. this is not to insult TO you if you do. just want to know why you spend that much on online game. some people smoke, some drink, some gamble is spending that much money on a online game like you version of smoking or drinking. when you found out you spent 1k on torn did you regret it or not?
again just want to know really. i don't want no crap like " im a rich businessman and do it for fun and don't give a f**k blah blah blah " cos honestly i don't care and your stuck up your own ass. you must enjoy torn a lot to invest into it.
I want to know if its like a hobby to you or something
How did you come up with $1k? It's $5 a month to subscribe.
Personally I got bored with all the crap on Netflix, so I cancelled that subscription and became a Torn subscriber instead. It's simply better value for my entertainment dollars, I find...
If you’re having fun with playing Torn, that in itself is not a bad reason to support the game. I always try to support game creators whenever I find their game enjoyable and fun. Plus, the subscriber perks and rewards are not too shabby as well.
Granted I might not drop 1k on the game, but monetary value is relative. I know some people condemn players for spending X amount of money for the game. That is just crab mentality. In fact, we should thank these whales because they help keep the game afloat.
Wealth is relative, and for most people who've spent more than $1,000 in Torn, whether it be over the course of a decade or the course of a week, it's a matter of us believing we're getting the value for our money.
I've spent between one and two thousand on Torn, and while I'm not a rich businessman or anything, I do have enough savings/investments to the point where $1-2,000 isn't really all that significant of an amount to spend over the course of three years, and I feel like I've gotten a fair enough value for my money, on top of supporting the game.
Torn is a long term game that I've played every day since I started nearly three years ago, and spending $15-20 bucks to skip a month's worth of grinding here or there isn't too bad of a price to pay.
It's a hobby like any other. I've spent over $5,000 over the last decade on computer parts, probably about the same on guitars, pedals, amplifiers, and accessories. I don't see any of it was money wasted, because I use them enough to get my value.
When you compare it to actual expenses like property taxes/rent, utilities, food, healthcare, vehicle maintenance, etc., $1,000 is a drop in the bucket, and some people have the luxury of being able to part with it, whether it be all at once or cumulatively over a few years.
Hell, even an Epiphone and a 15W amp can easily run 2-300 dollars. That's for a hobby, and there are some people could struggle to afford it, seeing it as either a large investment or a waste of money, while others see it as a simple fee for having some fun.
Some people will go to the movies once a week, take their GF or wife when they go, they buy tickets, popcorn, drinks, etc. Doing that easily runs $30 or more (usually much more). If you do it once a week for a year, that's $1,500.
Others get a starbucks coffee every day, and over a year, that's around $1,800.
Torn doesn't require you spend any money at all to be successful, but lots of people play it every day, for years. If they have the money to spend and want to support the game, get a few benefits out of it, then I certainly see nothing wrong with that.
Everyone has different amounts of disposable income, and priorities on what they spend their money on. $1,000, often spend over multiple years not all at once, really isn't that much.
The other day I got active again, I started checking TV's and saw one of them failing. I contacted the director, telling him "hey your TV is failing, do your job!". Well he did, then got back to me, we chatted for some time before I checked his NW again.
He donated $25,000 IRL cash, he told me that it was because of me contacting him. honestly then there I told him I would punch Chedburn if I ever met him.
Donations is important for Torn, so I'm regretfully glad that someone donated because of me, just seeing the insane numbers has me stumbled... $25,000 is a lot of money, I'm not poor, but I'm not "let's dump $25,000 on torn" rich. I helped him with company management, hell I've helped several people with several things, I just never imagined that anyone would actually donate to that degree because of me.
Honestly I've lost like $3-4B this last year because of me investing in people who quit/forgot PW. Having only lost this last year financially, this has not been a very good year.
I asked Bogie how much I have donated in total in relation to the person who donated $25k, never got a reply =(
OP, you should spend $1000 on grammar lessons. Ask "why do people," not "why does." Pay me moneys.
That being said, as it's been stated above, people get perceived value for the money they spend. For every blue name you see, you should wonder how many have the blue name turned off.
Its £13.50 a ticket at ours, probably spend another £20 on popcorn, drinks and sweets before going in. The last time I went I spent £50... so our local cinema would be £2,600 for a year. I started going to Sheffield instead where it cost half the amount each time, I just don’t go as regular now.