Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Selling bulk points

Started by Mick_Coffee [2536956] on in Questions & Answers.

23 replies · 414 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mick_Coffee [2536956]
Soon I'll have enough points stored to buy a PI, but I'm afraid I'll get mugged as soon as I sell. About a month back, I tried to sell 1k points but the buyer immediately mugged me and I lost about 1mil. I know this isn't really a problem for high ranks, but I'm only rank 21 and I can't defend myself from some level 55 who crushes level 20s like me for breakfast. I'm not aware of any way to safely and effectively trade points, so if anyone here can help, that would be greatly appreciated.
Charra [2230731]
You CAN sell your points at the city pawn shop instead of on the points market if you're that concerned about mugs. Otherwise, sell in smaller batches and immediately deposit funds into your faction bank for safe keeping or have a ghost trade set up with a trusted mate.
Darkfall [2465123]
With the Pawn Shop selling points you'd lose approximately 1% or 5m if your going for a base PI.

I will say consider renting. Granted your only buying a stock standard Private Island you would have spent 500m to live in a 2000 Happy property however if you rent , youd be spending 1m per day on 5025 happy and can sustain that for 500 days for the same price as buying it at over half of the maximum happy.

500 days is PLENTY of time in a fully upgraded PI to work towards one of your own aside from the fact you leave the entirety of that 500m you were going to invest into the property to work with and continue to make money off of.
Patient [2131539]
Simply put, don't sell in bulk. Just sell it in smaller chunks, and don't list all of those chunks at once unless you're prepared to mitigate mug attempts, either via being unattackable(self-hosp with revives off) or being active enough to bank it the second it sells. Only put up as much as you're willing to risk losing, which would be anywhere from 5-15% of your total sales.

The safest way to sell points is to sell them to a faction-mate, then you deposit the points into the faction armory while the person you're selling them to sends you the money, and then someone in the faction who is able to give points out sends the points you sold to the person who bought them. The only problem with this method is that it requires three people and severely limits your market to the less than 100 people in your faction that you can sell them to, but assuming everyone involved is trusted, there's very little chance of being mugged.
Max [471541]
You can message me the name of the person that buy-mugged you, I'd love to put the boot in if I can in any case.

Am also happy to buy the property and trade it to you for points if that's easier. But pawn shop probably easiest and safest for all involved!
Max [471541]
Ha I see, some reason I thought you could like trade them in the same place to add stocks, property, items, cash... Well take that idea off the table then OP.

I'd go with the pawn shop option. Much rather lose the small money than have my name out there with $ or faff-around with the points market.
Aleks-ODBird [2259658]
Alternatively, points are very, very liquefiable.. If you have the patience for it, just sell minimal quantities at each time (15-25).. Open a ghost trade with someone you trust, and each time it gets sold, put the money into the trade.. Repeat..

You won't lose as much as selling at the pawn shop but it just takes a little bit more time..

You may not want to list a large quantity at a single time as then it may not move as fast and may get pushed further behind the queue if others list theirs for cheaper.. Then, it may beat the purpose of self-hosping if you get out of the hospital while your points are still available in the market and a chance of you getting buy-mugged..
undo [2090073]
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend selling 1k points without some sort of mug protection for higher level players either. $45M+ is tempting to some people at any level. Not to as many people as at a lower level, but still.

In the future, maybe store your money in xanax instead, since that is tradable.
Mick_Coffee [2536956]
Yeah, I have been renting a PI while I save for one of my own. Honestly, 5 mil isn't too much to lose, so I might just sell at the pawnshop to avoid losing more than I need to.
Mick_Coffee [2536956]
I think it would be counter-productive to target the buy mugger seeing as how I sort of brought it on myself by being careless. To be honest, I respect the hustle and I think that if you get an opportunity to make good money, you should take it
Patient [2131539]
Xanax has hovered around ~840k, +-10k for like the last 7 years. Points are a little more stable, but have consistently dropped in value over that same time period, though they do have an absolute floor set by the pawn shop prices currently at 45k.

Along with it's stability, Xanax has the benefit of being able to use it to directly trade with as though it was cash though, and a lot of players treat it as a currency.
LordofFire [2411517]
But that would Mean you would have to stare at the screen and hope the game doesn't lag when you want to deposit in the trade.

Self-hosping just requires you to set a timer to Longer hosp or to bank and get out of hosp
Tao [2133339]
That's right, this man knows. Don't blame others for your own mugs. You are the responsible one and actually now that we are at it, most of the muggers are simply caring for you and trying to point out that there is a hole in your security plan. One could think of them as almost like white hat hackers figuratively speaking, showing you the vulnerabilities in your system. Angels sent from the sky if you may even. Doing the God's work.

Remember kids that the victim is always the responsible one for bringing it upon them. Don't blame the mugger, blame the trigger!