Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Getting paid by Buy Muggers

Started by __-___-___-__ [1921241] on in Achievements.

25 replies · 1.53k views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 26 / 26 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
26
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
74 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

__-___-___-__ [1921241]
Keeping names out as they've been good sports about it. For those that have followed my antics know baiting buy muggers is my odd niche in Torn.

While I make money from legit sales or 1 player mugs, I've long been trying to turn a profit from 2 player muggers as well.

Well, today is that day:
  • I was mugged for $104M by <anonymous_mugger>
  • Meaning I'd made just over $30M profit from transaction with <anonymous_buyer>
  • I buy Donator Packs @ 23.25M when I can, I sold these at $33.8M ea, less mugged amount
Here's a truncated summary from logs on how it went down.
  • Blue lines are my key actions
  • Red ones are the muggers
  • Green ones are the buyers


21:10:04 - You changed the price of 29x Donator Pack on your bazaar to $23,879,999
21:13:20 - <anonymous_mugger> initiated an attack against 811
21:13:24 - <anonymous_mugger> hit 811 with his Diamond Bladed Knife in the Stomach for 1719
21:13:27 - You changed the price of 29x Donator Pack on your bazaar from $23,879,999 to $33,799,999
21:13:34 - <anonymous_mugger> hit 811 with his Diamond Bladed Knife in the Chest for 1702
21:13:40 - You sold 29x Donator Pack on your bazaar to <anonymous_buyer> at $33,799,999 each for a total of $980,199,971
21:13:41 - <anonymous_mugger> mugged you for $104,097,237 sending you to hospital for 0h 45m [view]

TL:DR; I saw my health drop after listing Donator Packs, jacked my prices up mid-fight just enough to be profitable if they sold & I was mugged - Buyer in the pair was generous and obliged.

Honorable mention to the reaction of someone in the mugger's same faction I was chatting with.

811: 21:13:41 - 24/03/2021 <anonymous_mugger> mugged you for $104,097,237 sending you to hospital for 0h 45m [view]
<anonymous>: RIP
<anonymous>: My man <anonymous_buyer>
<anonymous>: oh
<anonymous>: dear
<anonymous>: ohhhhh
811: XD
<anonymous>: OHHH

Mentions: Bad Deal :(

__-___-___-__ [1921241]
There can be, unless you refresh the page I believe. There is also red text if some items are sold and you attempt to buy more then is left.

I've been backi6ng on either the first (fight was long, maybe trying to avoid the number of items red text), or in the latter case some what panicking and not redding the text and assuming it was item count.

Maybe the buyer will jump in to tell us which option (or if there was something else)
Witherite [1601768]
Supposedly, and it forces you to refresh the page to buy, either OP is lying or Ched screwed up lol.

From playing Torn for awhile now I'd assume It's the latter. Issues with bazaars are a classic.

Edit: Ok OP is also curious on the mugger's choice of options.
__-___-___-__ [1921241]
[image: i.imgur.com]

Unfortunately I can't forward for the price change activity logs to prove it was a photoshop job, but I did forward the purchase and mug events to the <anonymous> person and they've liked this thread, so sadly that's the best I can do to prove I'm not lying without outing the anonymous people involved.

I don't see this as Ched screwing up either, it's both not completely easy to do (and costs me a Tyro every failed attempt), while is also high risk compared to just self hosping (*Waves to LTJELLOMAN*). It's a fun piece of game mechanic that makes it a nice contest between muggers and sellers. Notably, I still had half health when I changed prices, I wasn't being held at 1HP yet.
Witherite [1601768]
The screw up I was talking was the warning that's supposed to show up and prevent you from buying when prices change, but thinking about it more I assume the buyer refreshed the bazaar to make sure the item quantity was still correct to not fail buying it on accident (more items than available error blabla). And he didn't realize the price simply I guess.

I tried doing this a couple times in the past but none ever refreshed the page, good to see it finally working for once :D

gj