Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

linux

Started by Dushane [2606365] on in Technology.

45 replies · 389 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 46 / 46 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
46
Discussion span
→
Authority score
11 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Dushane [2606365]
hey wondered how many of you also use Linux as your main os and what distro
i changed over to linux as my old job used Linux mainly as lot of colleagues used for coding
i started to learn coding a little even tho my job did not require it was weird at first but as time went on i started loving linux over windows so changed my personal pc over to linux

my personal linux distro choice is fedora
Hawk [2080065]
I've tried converting many times. In the end, it just wasn't practical for me because a few of the software tools I use do not port over well. I know about the ways to run Windows stuff on Linux, so please don't respond with that. I'm just saying, it didn't work out in a practical way.

Someday, perhaps, I can join you.

Last 2 I tasted were Ubuntu Mate and openSuse.
Lugburz [2386297]
I've been using Linux as primary OS on my home machine (and sometimes at work) since circa 2008.

Have tried Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, but settled with Arch. The rolling release model doesn't require major upgrades from one version to another (like with Ubuntu and such), so the same installation can work years and years without any breakage.
GreekPoser [2527893]
Arch is one of the more DIY installation distros, but it seems Manjaro takes most of that effort away from you.

have used arch in old hardware and their wiki is one of the most up to date and more complete. Never had an issue installing it using the manual that wasn't me not reading the step description fully
Sepulchrave [2092631]
Linux for 20 years. Used many distros but currently on Mint.

I'm a dedicated, but not hardcore user - these days I only use the CLI when I have to, or for nostalgia.

Every once in a while the techies at work try to pressure me back to Windows or Apple, but a little well-aimed vomit on their shoes usually shuts them up.
Catarchy [2632824]
i started using gnu/linux distros in 2008, dual booting for some windows apps that i needed until i switched definitely and abandoned that piece of software crap.

i've distrohopped a lot and still testing new things when i have time, even though i prefer to have something that lasts now (i'm getting old xD), but i always prefer to have updated software so rolling release distros are my first choice.
i've been on arch and derivatives for long, then debian sid for even longer (no matter what bullshit people say about it, it's an amazing os) and recently i started playing with fedora rawhide, initially just to have the last gnome version.

as soon as my smartphone dies i'll also switch to pinephone or librem or something like that and make also that dream come true.
Zziox [1022655]
I dual boot currently - Windows for work and gaming
Manjaro Cinnamon as linux host with a Windows 10 box with single GPU passthrough for games that allow being played on a VFIO rig.

Windows 10 sucks ass for privacy and customization.

My desktop
Dushane [2606365]
yeah one thing i don't miss about windows is them selling your data lol all i have on windows now is steam origin epic games etc lol
and nice desktop