Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

The truth

Started by 010101100 [2271349] on in Politics & Law.

44 replies · 263 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 45 / 45 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
45
Discussion span
→
Authority score
10 / 100
Historical score
13 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

010101100 [2271349]
>The truth is that America hasn't been "great" in a very long time.

>The American dream is turning into a myth as socioeconomic mobility in this country declines at concerning rates.

>Economic freedom continues to dwindle as 78% of the population lives paycheck to paycheck and only 39% of the population can cover a $1,000 emergency.

>Most of this country's wealth is concentrated at the top, the government is bought by the ultra-wealthy, and industries across the country (notably big-tech) is monopolizing.

>Our environment is being destroyed, people are dying/going into debt just to get educated or cover medical expenses, and automation is putting the jobs of millions (of future generations) in jeopardy.

>The solution? Mercantilism.

>When Trump said he wanted to make America great again, he meant when we were the 13 colonies.

>Just think about it. UK is 6 places ahead of us in socioeconomic mobility. That's certainly a start.

>Healthcare would be free and would most likely improve as more funding is allocated to the NHS.

>That's pretty much the only problems it would solve, but it's definitely a good start.

>Sure, we'd have to make the British monarchy rule the government again. Obviously, there'd be problems in the beginning.

>But once we work out the kinks, we'd be a happy colony again.

>This is the truth. We need a solution and we need it now.

>Lame politicians aren't going to get us anywhere.

>We need mercantilism, and we need it now.

>Who's with me?
010101100 [2271349]
Yea it is. This is moreso a satire thread than anything else. If someone made an actual thread about healthcare I'd share my real views.
Sannemander [2088627]
Not really if I hear the English people talking about it, and for the fact that almost all English people want to keep it. Way better than a completely private system. We have a similar system and it really isn't bad. At least we don't have people dying because they can't afford healthcare.
010101100 [2271349]
Pretty much anything is better than a completely private system. NHS does have its problems. It wouldn't if we had mercantilism.
Collete [1389080]
Im not saying a private system is better but I think the NHS is poorly managed by overpaid public servants and has alot of waste and people on waiting lists for way to long etc
Sannemander [2088627]
Overpaying servants is much worse in private systems. People don't get billionaires in a public system.


Edit: And I'm not sure how it is in England, but here you do get help immediately if it's needed. For less serious things I have a small private insurance so basically I never have any waiting times.
dunmugmeh [538353]
I live in the UK. Ie my health is taken care of by the NHS.

Funded by taxes.

Last year late November my finger got very very badly injured at work.

I was rushed to hospital and operated on the same day, within hours in fact. A pretty big operation..

I was awake for the whole operation, there was a team of surgeons/doctors in there about 10. It was a big operation. It took about 4 hours.

Had tendon repair surgey on my finger. I was off work until the end of january. I have to see the physio every week still.

There are no $bills.

With complicated surgery like that you are bankrupt if you have it in america right?
angrysc0tsman12 [1099272]
What are you smoking? In your own words, explain to me what mercantilism is and how it would be beneficial to the US. It certainly isn't going to fix the wealth inequalities you listed above, but I'd be amused to hear your 2 cents.
010101100 [2271349]
Mercantilism is when Britain rules us again. It would fix wealth inequality cuz Britain has slightly higher socioeconomic mobility and we'd be part of Britain.
angrysc0tsman12 [1099272]
Well that certainly is a theory but it isn't mercantilism.

In a nutshell, mercantilism revolves around carrying a positive balance of trade and implementing protectionist policies like tariffs. It has this naïve world view in which everything is a zero-sum game.

It's an outdated world view and I'm happy to see it go by the wayside.
Styledcurve [2493033]
No. More likely youd lose the finger....

We were promised univesal healthcare a few administrations back.
What we got instead was mandatory health insurance that aint no better than it ever was. Truly it is our insurance industry that is harming us.
dunmugmeh [538353]
Thats bad, really bad. There was talk of me losing my finger even with the operation being a success, it might never be right again even with the surgery i had but it is improving, very slowly.

From afar the american healthcare insurance providers do look like parasites.

Not being able to get a emergency operation when its needed is so bad it isnt funny. Thats the WHOLE point of healthcare isnt it? One of the main reasons the medical profession exists at all.

The American healthcare system is broken. No doubt the insurers fund politicians campaign expenses and lobby for what they want ...

Corrupt parasites and leaches in a area of life where it is unforgivable.
SaintLuke [2220265]
Not true, I had pretty much the same exact experience as he did. Finger got caught in a gear at work and I had surgery to reattach the tendons and what not soon after arriving. My finger is good as new now, besides a scar that runs along most of it. Since it was at work, it didn't cost me a penny.
Viracocha [1772040]
Well, I can't speak to your experience, only mine in Canada and that $20K cost for the surgery I had which was delayed for a very long time until I lost sensation in my legs from the waist down, has left me maimed for life.

There are good and bad aspects to all health care. I think I'd rather pay that get what I got. The thing is I do still pay. I pay for OHIP premiums and private medical coverages as well as a portion of my high taxes goes to health care.

If I have any other major procedures to consider, I'd fly out of the country and participate in Medical Tourism.