Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

"What do I do now?" Beginner Reference

Started by VYNICAL [2448434] on in Tutorials & Guides.

69 replies · 12.5k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 70 / 70 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

VYNICAL [2448434]
Aww. How may I help your feeling feels better? Are you triggered by having someone calling out your playstyle?

It would help if you can read a graph and look at the growth chart of my mug amount. It only increases heavily during halloween and dog tags when I was recouping the e cost from attacking inactives for the event. Also, I have yet to make any claim saying that I don't use the mug function as some mission still requires mug, I just use it to get it over with, unlike you, apparently. Kindly take your whataboutism and shove it up where it belongs.

Edit: Number of enemies jumped from 3 to 4 in a while. Guess someone really did get triggered :)
illbethatmf [2083570]
lmfaoo imagine this level of salt. Blacklist you for a derivative guide? lol.

Actually you've made me sway my opinion. Your half cocked guide with plagiarized pseudo advice laced with vitriol is the best thing i've ever read.

R+ from me.
VYNICAL [2448434]
Aww, cute, why the need to imagine the life you're currently living? Sweet stuffs coming from someone with a derivative playstyle too. I guess you see what you are, huh? Projection much?

On that front, let me know when you put that R+ down so you can pretend like you have some integrity ;)
bbrainstormer [2644018]
Good guide. It is worth pointing out that fruitcakes may be a better option that plushies, depending on prices.

Edit: also, change the link to the yata bazaar page to yata.yt/bazaar. They changed the link
Mynell [2616352]
I never understand the training part in these guides. Everyone is saying 3 Xanax, 1 refill a day. That's fine of course, that's around 3.5m per day, so 24.5m a week.
Let's say you fly daily with timing the drug cd. That's around 5m a day. Do a rehab every week of 1m. That's 34m a week. With a pi rent + fee, that's what, 7m a week. Take 34m income, 7+25=32m costs. That leaves you with 2m per week.
Later on everyone says to get passive income, but to buy those beginner bbs, say hrg, it will take 250m/2m=125days without slacking.

Isn't it more useful to go easy with Xanax and refills early on to build passive income so to do more happies later on?
I'm not complaining, but I just don't understand how massive training + building passive income can go hand in hand if the only way to get money is flying if you don't want to spend too much time on torn by trading.
VYNICAL [2448434]
I really appreciate your feedback. I'll try to address it fully so please bear with me.
Before that, small correction on the expense: you could always cut the rent and fee in half by marrying a spouse, moving in and sharing the rent, which cut the expense by 3.5m. You also forgot to include the pretty much mandatory Donator pack which increase the expense by 23.3m/4 = 5.83m. Yes, we're going in the red at 5.83 - 3.5 - 2 = 0.33m loss per week using your scenario.

First, good news, the way Chedburn currently design the game leaves several drugs for you to take before you reach the standard 3 xanax 1 refill per day. Amongst all the drugs available, leaving love juice aside, Xanax is the most expensive. Each other drug you can take first to get the 50 drugs taken merit early, which I did highlight in my guide. During this downtime, you can save to get some crucial stock blocks like LSC or HRG out of the way.

Second, with a Donator Pack/subscriber, refill is a significant net gain, no matter how you wanna cut it. Xanax and other drugs forces you to rehab which, in the long run, will ramp up your rehab bill further. Refill gives you no addiction, no bullshit, just pure 150e for around 1.13m. Even if you were to spend that energy doing the worst value action later on - selling losses, you can do 6 losses at 300k each, which is 1.8m, at no tradeoff other than worrying that your ego can't bear seeing the number of attack lost going up. That's a 600k net gain daily after med expense. Oh look at that, you got your rent AND upkeep paid just by doing refill daily via the WORST value generating action? Why not refill then? Refill is so OP that Ched had to cap it at once per day otherwise everyone and their grandmother would refill to hell and back. Did I mention that there's a merit at 250 refill, which, the earlier you start, the better?

Third, I agree that the premise you gave is very unattainable, it's like asking a PE coach how to get in shape by sitting on a couch all day. As I mentioned in my guide, Dedicated flyer is not an efficient playstyle, it is very much so a casual one. If you can't put more time into Torn other than logging in now and then to fly back and forth, yeah, 3 xan 1 refill is a luxury. That's not a jab to anyone, really. Torn is a recreational activity at the end of the day, if you want to play it casually because you have a life with more important things going on, more power to you. I'm actually jealous because I wish I could reduce my current addiction with Torn. What I want to highlight is that you cannot expect a casual time commitment to fund a competitive playstyle. If you want to afford better stuffs, put more time into Torn.

How should you put more time into Torn? well, to make more income, I did mention advertising (which cost you nothing but time) at first and trading after you have around 50m in savings. To be extremely clear, active income beats passive income, especially when you're young. Just a simple market stalking to buy up stuffs people selling at 3-5% below market and sell for 1-2% higher will give you at least 5% average in profit PER TRANSACTION. Meanwhile, the best performing stock give you 2.5% profit PER WEEK. Passive income is very much a concept for veterans. If you want to be competitive as a newbie, passive income is not it.

To put it into perspective, The only stock I own exclusively since the beginning and did not sell is LSC. I use the payout to get a chance at the lottery merit, not even to sell it. I buy low sell high other stocks ALL. THE. TIME. I see SYM getting low? buy it to sell it back 7 days later at 10% in profit, it could give me a payout in the meantime too. After selling it, I use the money to trade for much, much better income than SYM could ever give me with the payout. You can check my stat graph and see that I have been through several different playstyle (except mugger), when I started trading, it's when my networth jump the quickest but so is my gameplay activity.

Finally, ignoring all that, there is some misconceptions that I need to clear up regarding happy jumps. Yes, it'll be efficient, VERY, VERY efficient to do happy jumps instead of normal training, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT . Remember, outside of happy jumps, others do 3 xan + refill while waiting for their networth to get large enough for another happy jump. Happy jump is more efficient than the standard 3 xan 1 refill + nat e at a much higher cost. However, by giving up on 3 xan + refill + nat e to save for happy jumping now and then, it's going to slow your overall progress due to two aspects:
1. Unlocking better gym is not dependent on stat gain, but on energy spent on training. By exclusively happy jumping once every week or every other week and not doing 3 xan + refill, you're giving up on 250 x 3 + 150 = 900 e daily. Your maximum daily natural e is 720 with Donator Pack and 480 without. So basically you're kneecapping half or even more than half your DAILY potential for a WEEKLY or even MONTHLY small burst. Believe me, the missing energy from 3 xan + refill add up, hard.
2. Happy jump falls in efficiency after certain threshold which I already outlined in my guide (400k, 700k and 1m, all that). This is because the stat gain is based on happy, gym dots (better gym) and existing stat up to 50m. When you finally have "enough passive income" (god knows when) to start doing happy jump, your stat would be way over these threshold and happy jump would no longer be as efficient as it should be and others will already leave you in the dust. Daily 3 xan + refill + nat e is the minimum for everyone else. In order to catch up, you'll have to spend more money in boosters (e-can, FHC) to get more energy, otherwise, you're simply keeping up and not catching up. Guess how expensive those boosters are comparing to simply getting on the pace since the start?
Neymar [2635352]
id say stats come before money, you can always make money, but you can never get back the stats youve lost in the past trying to save up on ur money for stuff