Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

[250R+] - Organised Crimes 2.0

Started by MsExa [1745481] Committee on in Suggestions.

95 replies · 1.59k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 96 / 96 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
96
Discussion span
→
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
56 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
81 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

MsExa [1745481] Committee Committee
Reason for suggestion
Let's admit it. OCs are great for adding funds to the faction bank and for increasing your personal CE.
But because it barely requires user input, they are very boring. I would like to suggest some changes to make it both more realistic and less boring.


Suggestion #1: Roles
Some members of the OC can be assigned to a role:
Examples of such roles might be: Driver, Weapon Specialist, Leader, Medic, Breakout Specialist, ...
For a PA you might need to assign a Leader, a Weapon Specialist and a Driver.
Each role requires a certain expertise. A leader needs to be high-level, a driver needs high racing skill, a medic high revive skill, ..

The success of the OC is determined by the quality of the members.
If for a PA you assigned a green leaf to the drivers role, it will be unlikely the team will escape from the police (and thus fail the OC)

It's up to the faction to decide which roles you assign to the OC.
If you think 4 Weapon Specialist is the best set-up, go for it. This will probably result in a higher payout, but also a higher chance of hospitalisation.
(There might be some restrictions, as you cannot have 4 Leaders for example)
  • This will promote the set-up of Torn: Build your character to infinite strengths and play it your way. If you want to be a bad-ass getaway driver, you can be one. If you want factions to hire your 100% revive skills to pull off difficult OCs, go for it.
  • This might give some meaningless skills a better perspective: perhaps hunting skill might become a needed skill to pull off some OCs? Same for racing skill, amount of busts, ...

Suggestion #2: More Organised Crimes

There should be a bigger list of Organised Crimes your faction can choose from.
This might even be another branch in the faction upgrades, so that new OCs can be unlocked. (See Suggestion #3)

Not all factions are strong and big, and not all members are born weapon specialists or leaders. Therefore, there should be many types of organised crimes, varying in skill, member size, specialisation requirements and payouts.
Low-level OCs might not give a money payout, but maybe more EXP and low-tier alcohol items.
One high-level OC might pay out big (for example Raid on Duke's Warehouse), but has little chance, even with perfect setup. While another high-level OC might give additional skills and some Energy cans, but less payout.



Suggestion #3: New faction branch to unlock different kinds of OCs
Read Suggestion #2, then this makes sense.



Suggestion #4: More user involvement during planning phase
Okay, so you decided to be a breakout specialist, cool. But if the 'Crime manager' of the faction just assigns your role and 4 days later the OC is executed without you doing anything, OCs are still plain boring.
What if some or all members of the team need to perform an action in order for the OC to be fully planned?

For example:
The driver needs to buy a car and assign it to the OC. Better car, higher chances. Please note, the car might be lost after the OC.
Robbing a money train in Switzerland? Some members need to travel to Switzerland to inspect the environment.
What can a medic do without supplies? He needs to buy and assign some medical items like Morphine, First Aid Kits, Blood bags, ..
Without all members doing their part in the planning, the OC cannot be initiated!
Of course, a minimum planning time is still needed, but might be less with active members!




I hope these suggestions makes sense, and please be aware I'm just giving some ideas and examples.
Some features I mentioned need to be investigated, some might not be feasible right away, and others will forever be fantasy in Torn.

If you like the direction and general idea of my suggestion, please give this thread a thumbs up!

To Chedburn:
I would like to mention that concepts and content for this feature is being worked out and explored along with an interactive spreadsheet to help illustrate how Organised Crimes 2.0 could work in the current Torn situation. I hope to share this with you, if interested.
Riot [974353]
I’d love an overhaul to the OC system, whether this is it or in some other form I’m all for it. I don’t hate the current system, it gets the job done but it leaves much to be desired.
Alfi [2156072]
R+

But can I piggy back off some of our high CE, pre-nerf busters for another year or so of PAs before introduction please.
Exie [2223878] Moderator Official
Really great idea and well thought out. I like it.

Probably won't ever happen because it's such a big idea, but I sure hope they at least consider it.
Aime [760224]
Sounds great and interesting, it'll bring a new aspect to the game.
I downvoted however as it requires an overhaul of the entire system and I hope Ched doesnt have to read this to divert his attention away from crimes 2.0. Once 2.0 is implemented, I'll be back to change my vote.
ChangeJar [2461006]
I absolutely love this. It would take some serious doing, but this is the kind of intricacy that can make a great game even better. Beautiful idea, I'll be watching this closely.
Ceb [68232] Committee Committee
I've been working on a proposal of almost exactly this. Best of luck with your suggestion
Fatbears [2197270]
interesting, but a level of complexity the average TORN player will never follow. Most can't even check to see if they're OC is ready before they fly.
arrow [2024586]
I like the idea but very very tedious for OC managers especially when factions have 10+ PA teams. A lot of work to do.

Feel bad for Kuro as it is.


I won’t dislike the suggestion, I’ll leave it as is.
KermodeBear [2011760]
I like the ideas of players having to take actions during the planning stages which will ultimately affect the outcome of the crime. Perhaps this could even help get rid of the OC timer, or at least minimize it. Being able to assign people to specific roles, with roles leveraging different attributes, is also a great idea.

Imagine the Kidnapping crime:

To kidnap someone successfully, you need to find a target willing and able to pay ransom, recon the target, commit the kidnapping, make the ransom demands, pick up the cash.

You could do this quickly; Get the gang together, wait a bit, and hit the button - but that would probably fail. So your team has options:

- Research targets. The more you research your targets, the more likely you are to find one that will pay, and pay a large amount. Would be nice for each Research action to provide a target from which the OC Leader can choose (kidnap a kid, the CEO of a company, someone's dog (you bastard!), etc.)
- Recon kidnap locations: You need to find a place and time where the target is vulnerable and you are least likely to get caught.
- Install Phone Proxies: You need to prevent your ransom demand calls from being traced, so setting up tech around the city (or around the world) that will proxy your calls will help.
- Prepare a Safe House: You need to keep your kidnapping victim somewhere! Somewhere temporary but secure so that your victim doesn't escape. You could find some dark alley, but maybe spending some cash to rent a location where the owner looks the other way would be helpful.

Spending Nerve (or Energy in some cases) on various aspects of the crime would affect how long the planning phase takes, the size of the reward, and the chance of success. The thing I would like to see here is that a young team with low CE could pull off a successful kidnapping if they spent enough time planning and nailing down all the details, while a more experienced team could operate more off the cuff.

And positions? Like the OP mentioned, someone with high driving skill and a good car would be useful for kidnapping and picking up the ransom - and getting away from the cops if they catch you in the act. Someone stealthy would be good for the actual kidnapping aspect. You'll need someone strong and well armed to intimidate the victim into behaving, and fighting off the cops, too. Someone with high intelligence would be able to best make the phone call to secure the ransom without being caught.

Etc., etc., etc.

This all sounds very cool, I would love to see it, there's tons of potential, but sadly I think it's far too complex a project for Torn.