I am using Fedora on my laptop. I was using all geeky distros back then. Nowadays I appreciate stability. Do you consider Emacs as operating system? :D
linux
Started by Dushane [2606365] on in Technology.
Posts archived: 46 / 46 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
nice have you tried fedora 34 beta looks like some cool changes coming and ive not tried emacs
When I got my first ssd a few years ago I installed lubuntu. When I turned on my old laptop the sceen went black for two seconds. I thought there was some error with the graphics configuration, then the dasktop appeared ready in a instant. Windows 7 on the hdd took over a minute and was sluggish several minutes afterwards.
Now that I mostly just use a web browser it doesn't matter what os my computer is using. I dislike the flatness of modern windows that makes it so I can't even see buttons or which window is active. I also don't like the privacy issues with windows 10.
I have been thinking about reinstalling lubuntu for a few days. I'll probably do it this weekend.
The linux I have used most is connochaetos that is for really old computers. I like icewm and nice theme. I also use tiny core linux. I almost got it to load torn on my old pentium 200MHz. For typing and reading it was completely fine. It booted in only a few seconds, faster that windows on most computers..
Now that I mostly just use a web browser it doesn't matter what os my computer is using. I dislike the flatness of modern windows that makes it so I can't even see buttons or which window is active. I also don't like the privacy issues with windows 10.
I have been thinking about reinstalling lubuntu for a few days. I'll probably do it this weekend.
The linux I have used most is connochaetos that is for really old computers. I like icewm and nice theme. I also use tiny core linux. I almost got it to load torn on my old pentium 200MHz. For typing and reading it was completely fine. It booted in only a few seconds, faster that windows on most computers..
No I haven't but I've heard good things about mint. I'll give it a try. Right now I'm working on a project to de Google my phone to see what it's like
Dual boot (win & Ubuntu) - and from 3+ months Manjaro
I'm still keeping windows for a backup (not using it though)
Also I was able to transfer my smart card(digital signature) to Manjaro to access some of our government services without a glitch
I have steam installed for games
There some occasions when the system hangs and a reboot is required. Will look into those sometimes in the future
Why did i switch? I mostly work online via a browser. Load times are way faster.
Should you switch to linux based distro? Depends? Run it first with a VM, then make a dual boot. And when you're sure you want that switch
I'm still keeping windows for a backup (not using it though)
Also I was able to transfer my smart card(digital signature) to Manjaro to access some of our government services without a glitch
I have steam installed for games
There some occasions when the system hangs and a reboot is required. Will look into those sometimes in the future
Why did i switch? I mostly work online via a browser. Load times are way faster.
Should you switch to linux based distro? Depends? Run it first with a VM, then make a dual boot. And when you're sure you want that switch
nice i agree to me linux is so much more faster stable then windows and doesn't have a thousand pre installed apps what u never use taking up storage like windows plus i think linux is more simple to use my grandad has linux he learnt it a lot faster than what was learning on windows
unfortunately i also duel boot so i can play more games if linux was supported more in games i reckon Linux would easily become more popular but linux has csgo what other games do u need loll
unfortunately i also duel boot so i can play more games if linux was supported more in games i reckon Linux would easily become more popular but linux has csgo what other games do u need loll
Not Linux, but UNIX-based: FreeBSD is my main. Probably been using it as my main since 2012.
Get an old Pixel 2 (yes, a google device xD) and flash a custom ROM like Calyx. Can't say I have tried it but it looks like a good project!
Yeah, I'm debating about selling my note 20 ultra to get one. That way I force myself to use the pixel. I've found that the only way I can really progress in standing up for my privacy and security is by forcing myself. Like when I moved to Linux I installed linux on every computer I own.
Mint is great. I like the ecosystem
I have been all Linux since approx 2003.
4 laptops
3 Debian 1 Kanotix
Tried pretty much every flavour of distro over the years, but always end up back on Debian +non-free.
4 laptops
3 Debian 1 Kanotix
Tried pretty much every flavour of distro over the years, but always end up back on Debian +non-free.
Its just the start of the rabbit hole haha.
iPhones are not too bad privacy wise imo
iPhones are not too bad privacy wise imo
I refuse to buy apple products, I'm going to get into the custom roms. I'm pretty excited to try it out. If it doesn't work on my custom rom I don't need it.
i agree the the apple statement just a cheap phone overpriced by a brand name like a 400 dolla shirt what cost 0.50 to make cos it has a brand name on it
I don't use it as my main OS but when I participate in CTF competitions or other various hackathons I always run Kali Linux. I'm a huge fan of Kali and really enjoy some of the tools it comes preloaded with, plus I like how lightweight it is for when I write my own C programs. I also do enjoy command-line based navigation. Previously I used VMWare but now I'm using Windows Subsystem Linux 2 (WSL 2) and I really like it. WSL itself was initially flawed because it lacked socket support and therefore did not operate like a real Linux Kernel, but WSL 2 is much better and has socket support - it also behaves more like the Linux Kernel.
I am starting to use Parrot OS more these days.
I will say though if you are switching to a Linux based OS for primary use, I would highly recommend checking out the System76 computers. Me personally I am migrating to Apple mainly for the video and photo editing. For pentesting I'll jump between Parrot and Kali
I will say though if you are switching to a Linux based OS for primary use, I would highly recommend checking out the System76 computers. Me personally I am migrating to Apple mainly for the video and photo editing. For pentesting I'll jump between Parrot and Kali
It's deeper than that. Apple is the biggest offender in the right to repair act, and tells customers to throw out electronics that can easily be repaired. We have enough E waste. We need to repair what we already have.
that is true it always gets harder to repair apple products didn't they purposefully make something break if a component was changed
Hmmm I could use a suggestion though. I have an old windows surface pro 4. I just bought a new laptop for school (think pad). I really want to get something newer than the surface pro 4 just for reading, file browsing and that's pretty much it.
I'm lost in deciding what tablet I should get. Got any suggestions?
Also, is Fedora the best Linux distro for tablets?
I'm lost in deciding what tablet I should get. Got any suggestions?
Also, is Fedora the best Linux distro for tablets?
i am using linux since 2005. currently on mint, but I plan to move to manjaro.