Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Kitchen Staples

Started by Mujera [1420465] on in Food & Cooking.

21 replies · 209 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
22
Discussion span
→
Authority score
29 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor
Wife is on a ginger/tumeric kick atm

Sazón, Cavendars Greek seasoning, Mustard powder, Onion powder are all in heavy use here in addition to the ones you listed.

Butter not margarine
Coarse sea salt not iodized
- if it's on the plate, it's too late
MrsTarget [2657488]
I'm heavily into Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi food - kitchen essentials include garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, lentils, kasuri methi, kashmiri chilli powder, black mustard seeds, asafoetida, dried mango powder and lots of ghee. Also fresh coriander (cilantro) and loads of onions.
Absinthian [2263711] Committee Committee
My essentials:
  • Butter
  • Onions
  • Cumin
  • Wine
  • [background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]Thyme[/background]
Good knives are essential too! 8" French chefs, paring and filet can do everything. Remember: You are more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife! Keep them sharp.
SirBuckets [2319076]
Salt and paprika are my two things I use quite a bit. with the perfect amount of salt I can make anything taste good. I find paprika to be underrated and underutilized.
Kevin69069069 [2060492]
Microwavable Rice?! As Uncle Roger says: haiya

For us, we always have a couple of bags of rice. We also always have onions and garlic and at least one type of meat in the freezer.
masheen [2625139]
I don't microwave it nowadays though, I add a bit of water and put it to a boil for a couple of mins. It's better that way.
Mujera [1420465]
True story. Not a vegan and I have nutritional yeast in my pantry - I have a few vegan dishes I make. One being the best Caesar Salad dressing ever!
PeakaPeaka [2536518]
Noodle, frozen veg and gyoza or wontons.
Tea (Earl Grey or Rose) and milk
Cheese, eggs, Baked Beans and bread
Dried pulses, chopped tomatoes, mince, pasta and rice
A nice selection of different herbs and spices, low salt stock and Nandos hot sauce.
Frozen garlic, ginger, onions and chillies.

A set of sharp knives
Several chopping boards - one for veg, one for meat and so forth
Nicer Dicer
harpy [2630673]
lemon, garlic, olive oil, good salt (I like David's Kosher salt), parmesan, arborio rice, stock in the freezer, red onions, fresh herbs - oregano, thyme, sage.
TheTollTroll [2043237]
Start f**king with bay leaves. I use them in almost every pot roast or soup. You're welcome. The OG's have been mentioned so ill try to add things not mentioned. Cayenne pepper is one of my favorite ingredients for adding flavor and a punch. Honey and apple cider vinegar are natural tenderizers and can add a ton of flavor to a dish. FRESH BASIL (my neighbor grows) i use it in cooking and drinks all the time. Himalayan pink salt tastes better to me than regular salt but I think that's just in my head.