Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Adios Subscribers!

Started by captainhahnsolo [1354073] on in General Discussion.

623 replies · 17.2k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 624 / 624 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
624
Discussion span
→
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
57 / 100
Story score
78 / 100
Engagement score
95 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Chedburn [1] ×1 Faction 16628 ×1 Aaassh [2546369] ×1

captainhahnsolo [1354073]
So, since I am apparently on several NSA level API watchlists, it is not really feasible for me to keep playing torn. I mean shit, I thought the government was bad but apparently everyone with half-a-decent scripting ability can monitor my account without my consent.

I have done a few test travels between the caymans and back and it seems that I am being actively watched. I get mugged within a minute of returning just about every time.

Since apparently my decision to invest in money first and stats second was a mistake, it doesn't really make sense for me to keep taking it up the butt while making big players bigger and rich players richer.

Not sure if I am going to quit, but I am "putting my money where my mouth is". I have been playing this game for just shy of 11 years and I have been a donator or subscriber for at least 10 of it.

Your PayPal subscription has been cancelled. Thank you. 12:46:0715/04/21

Not anymore...


Edit to respond to Ched's sticky:

Page scraping is already against the rules since the scripting ban rule requires you to user the API or "a page you have loaded manually and are currently viewing".

Do you not have the ability to enforce the rules?
Samaritan [1941490]
You have been credited with 25 donator pack items. Thank you! 02:54:33 13/04/21

Spent a 100 bucks this week on donator packs. I guess I'll join you and stop giving ched my money

Edit: Your Amazon subscription has been cancelled. Thank you. 04:18:13 17/04/21

Edit 2: Was planning on spending at least $1,000 this year on Donator Packs. Unless things change, I will not invest into this game.

Edit 3: You have been credited with 25 donator pack items. Thank you! 14:40:44 20/04/21

Thank you Ched for fixing this and adding the grace period. I will be donator again. I love you.

[image: profileimages.torn.com]
Repoman [1280877]
I don't care about the mugging stuff or stocks. Just don't feel the long term player/donator community has ever been appreciated.

I'll jump on this wagon.

Your Amazon subscription has been cancelled. Thank you. 04:49:40 17/04/21

EDIT: This doesn't make me happy just so everyone knows. I liked being a sub. I liked feeling like I was helping develop somthing I've loved for so long. I never spend my money on any other games I play, Torn I felt deserved it. It's was an oddity. I've donated over 2000 dollars to Torn in the last year alone. Over $5000+ in the decade. But I have never seen any REAL development come out of that. I've never got a reply to any of my PMs to Ched (I was younger then and probably not the most mature or well spoken, none the less, could have called me a whinny bitch at least xD). I've seen new players get this sped up version of Torn while us old guys struggled back in the day, no benefit has come to us for that struggle. The only ones who benefited from starting ten years ago was those who found exploits. I never find shit in the city. I never have won a major jackpot in the casino. Not even a PI on the wheel in all these years. This game has pushed me to a point where I truly believe it punishes people who donate with bad luck because they know they will donate. When I got a system warning for a false report, it took me arguing like an attorney and three self made re-reports to finally get a staff member that was able to comprehend the situation, wording of explanation, and recognize the misinterpretation made by the other staff. I could go on and on, but we all hate forum bitchers. Guess I've been a hero long enough to see myself become a villain.

You know what I have gotten out of this game? A blue name. Yippy....

EDIT 2: I applaud Ched for listening to his community. Making a change it seem's many wanted. However, my un-sub still stands. When I see the long term promised development come to light, then I will re-consider my position. Ched ain't a god, I don't expect him to give us the world, I don't think he every expected this game to grow into what it did. So I don't hold much against him. All I ask is continue to listen to your community good sir, and all will work out.
SporkMonkey [2065017]
I have an obligation upcoming, but I will probably be walking away from the game altogether shortly. The recent stocks changes seem to shit on anyone trying to make money. All the day traders will dry up when the % for each sale kicks in. Ched doesn't give AF as long as people buy DPs.
Orlanth [357504]
I just need more cash for that Doge moonshot.

Your PayPal subscription has been cancelled. Thank you. 04:57:32 17/04/21
Amrak_Dezark [2189876]
honestly the API hasn't negatively effected me directly but seeing how its handled shows the future of this game and has really made me think about if I want to invest more time here.
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor
The API was created for positive reasons. For the data analyzers out there, so they could get their fix...

It's a shame some f**king f**ktards decided to abuse it. It's a bigger shame that Chedburn actually supports this shit. Allows and encourages it....

f**king Ridiculous.







Torn is officially dead.

That's my 2 cents.
Ahgurwn [2530174]
Just a nobody but definitely canceling my subscription, paying $5 a month to subsidize players clearly abusing the game's mechanics and systems is a pretty raw deal
Collete [1389080]
I think its more he doesn't want people to think he f**ked up and will take his time to fix it so he doesnt have to compensate players.
Lenin [2199004]
am i doing this right..? as soon as i saw the stock update, i knew i had to respond...

You have been credited with 80 donator pack items and 400 bonus points. Thank you! 15:33:35 06/04/21

thanks for everything, devs!

(to be clear, i also agree the api thing is screwy, as is the attack page modifying, but i have no idea how it can be resolved)
FidelCashflow [1993550]
I canceled my yearly sub back when Dekloren was unjustly fedded. It's taken people long enough to realize that devs don't get their playerbase.