Was waiting for admins response but since there was none and tbh this has been a long-time problem where scripters are taking over Torn with support from the admins API. No reason to support a game where people can earn in days what others took 10+ years to earn by using scripts. Just not interested in script city being the future of this game, and thinking about it, it's already the present and recent past as well
Your PayPal subscription has been cancelled. Thank you. 19:35:02 17/04/21
Only because I think enough sub cancels is the only way they'll ever listen. This has been going on for far too long and their response now only shows that they've never considered it an issue, and are still somehow unsure if it even is one.
got this up in suggestion to make it fair for everyone >>>
link to forum
Mentions:
Flying countdown for everyone! (no script needed)
Thats what got me, withdraw my cash 4 bil, hurry up in the plane, check my laptop to buy some stock........ BANG , can't by no F******G stock on flight anymore. land in torn BANG......... Get mugg for 400mil before the page was even loaded.
13 days and counting.
why did you restart?
Just going to give my own opinion on this topic. Recently after seeing SKmoonlight's cayman and item market script in action, I decided to try and make my own.
In just 2 hours (with no coding experience) I made a script that tracks the price of a couple items and notifies you when ever they become cheaper. It's super easy to do and all this information is available to all players.
[image: i.imgur.com]Now where I think Ched went wrong, is that the api allows gathering information that would normally take 10000 people be done by a single person. Worst of all, you can do this while not even playing the game!
Everything is automated at this point; stocks, trading, mugging and even itemmarket hunting. Any script you will make will give you an advantage, but there needs to be a limit to how big it is. Trading scripts save you maybe a minute and allow transactions between players to go much faster, which is completely fine! On the other hand, a script that tracks 100 factions and 100 players at all times is just impossible for a human to do. It's clearly a big advantage and needs to be fixed.
TLDR: A simple delay can fix most of the problems imo
No restart, I just work in retail. I see people like this everyday. Oh no it's not going my way, you won't get my money anymore! boohoo
I've not been silent. I've already said that we can't nerf the API, because then people will just move to unlimited scraping of profiles instead - and it'll be far far worse. I'd rather we have this legally, than a cheater epidemic that we have no way of resolving. I'm very happy to work with the community to figure something out, but if you nerf the API that doesn't actually do anything.
You can downvote this or unsubscribe all you want, it doesn't stop that fact from being true.
Best post in the thread, that's the spirit :D
what kind of stupid retail you work in btw...you missed his entire point....he is not upset about getting mugged...he is upset about how it happened
If changes to the API are so difficult and "legal" scripts continue to be allowed for the benefit of muggers, could the problem be mitigated by adding a benefit to flyers of a temporary "vault" option, perhaps in the form of a time-limited cheque upon return to TORN? It could be part of an education special, if not across the board.
Mugging is part of the game, but the balance can go too far on any side. Carelessness or ignorance is fair target, but as things are now there's not even a chance to defend against fast scripts. Depositing while hosped, buying stocks while flying -- things of the past.
Think of the poor muggers, demoralised by being reduced to mere script button pushers -- restore their dignity by providing more challenge for their ingenuity!
Never thought about that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to add a delay and maybe.. remove the location of people travelling? You can transform this aspect into a job special; 5 job point for travel location or something. It would change up the game, but at this point an entire travel location and it's bonus (the caymans bank) is unusable. People don't have a chance.
Ok, I don't know much about this game so I'll shut up about that. But from what I have read, he's carrying alot of money right? He goes to a place I have read, from you guys, is a high mug area. People have these scripts, whatever that is. These scripts allow people to attack right when you land right? and mug. Is there a solution to this? I mean, can he not travel with that much money? Is there some way of getting the money sent to him? Is this not an option on here? If not, can it be made?
... i remind the community as well that you refuse to block stocks 3.0 operations from automated scripting.
Can I suggest while you’re working out the best solution you reactivate buying stocks while flying.
I know it doesn’t solve the immediate problem, but it’s a large reason behind while this problem has been thrust into the public eye.
Note I’m far FAR to poor to be mugged returning from caymans so I have no dog in this race, just an outside observation.
They should treat Pops like the bookies incident. Treat all mugs made as an exploit and take the entirety of money he has mugged. That graph Andyman presented, in my mind proves it is a cheat not just a leg up.
I've tried using the discord bot that does this. Doesn't really feel right.
But it has distracted everyone from the fact that they sold you one thing for stocks and without notice kept your money and changed what you have been sold.
They should have been more upfront with what was coming during the stock shut down. How are we to know that means stock 3.0? We have been waiting years for some new updates and this one just falls out of thin air during what looked to be a scheduled mantinence.
It all feels like a big cash grab and user screw over.
I didn't even get the loss merits from YAZ crashing 25% and then losing all the data I had made an investment on, which effectly changes the entire dynamic of what I was invested in.
I am unsure if I will continue playing if this is the route being taken by owner and developers. The real criminals in this game come in the form of developers and their shadow updates and false promises.
Any other game these days has a road map of expected release times and at least an idea of what is to be expected with each new patch.
Sorry for the rant. Thanks for reading.
Except that this 'API abuse' is condoned whereas cheaters get banned and their ill gained earnings stripped from their accounts.
It might not change things, but a cheater you can punish, just gotta put in the effort to find/unveil them. Isnt all those years of experience in finding cheaters something Torn staff proud in?
Page scraping like that is against the rules, is it not? Do you not have the ability to enforce the rules?
I don't think that a roadmap needs to provided, TORN is a fully released game at this point. Especially since it has an economy, announcing updates would basically allow users to see the future.
It's also just a game, move along, adapt and overcome the changes..
What you're saying is the game design is unable to withstand cheaters and you have no one on staff that knows how to fix it. I have left other games for the same reason, overrun by cheaters, I didn't blame the developers of those either, I blamed the cheaters. It still caused me to stop paying and/or leave the game though.
Letting stuff this extreme happen and walking away is equivalent to that hump in FPS games where hackers start using OPK to instakill everyone on the map. Torn just hit that equivalent (with people making 100b a day off of others, something in the past that took many years) and you're saying you can't stop it and wont do anything about it.
So canceling our subs may do nothing (except get you to respond, so I guess they did something). But for some of us, it's a matter of "oh the game is actually on a path where we think it's in the early stages of death". Not the first, nor the last game that's died to cheaters if it does. Very unfortunate though.