tldr; Learning to code as a hobby, any tips?
Doable?
Which stack? IDK
I'll explain: (Please excuse my ignorance)
I had a random notion to pursue this. Honestly, I was curious as to what it takes to create something like Torn as well as other things. The further I look down this path, the more my interest seems to grow. I went to trade school (16 years ago) and graduation from the computer networking program where the material was mostly A+ and Network+ stuff but have not truly kept up with that education since.
I don't want to pay a large tuition or have a class schedule, trying to do this as low cost as possible and in what little free time I have.
At the moment I am currently studying/learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. My path after that is unclear at the moment, I would like to be more comfortable with those languages before I make any plans. I am doing this is my spare time, and have no plans to use the skillset to leave my current job which is unrelated to the field. I realize this is neither a quick or easy goal.
I'll ask for your input, but before I do, I will list some of the things I am currently doing/using to further my education.
Do you have an resources/tools you would suggest? Tips/Tricks/Warnings?
edit:tldr
Doable?
Which stack? IDK
I'll explain: (Please excuse my ignorance)
I had a random notion to pursue this. Honestly, I was curious as to what it takes to create something like Torn as well as other things. The further I look down this path, the more my interest seems to grow. I went to trade school (16 years ago) and graduation from the computer networking program where the material was mostly A+ and Network+ stuff but have not truly kept up with that education since.
I don't want to pay a large tuition or have a class schedule, trying to do this as low cost as possible and in what little free time I have.
At the moment I am currently studying/learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. My path after that is unclear at the moment, I would like to be more comfortable with those languages before I make any plans. I am doing this is my spare time, and have no plans to use the skillset to leave my current job which is unrelated to the field. I realize this is neither a quick or easy goal.
I'll ask for your input, but before I do, I will list some of the things I am currently doing/using to further my education.
- Pretty much every free markup and coding course I can find; freeCodeCamp.org, Codecademy, W3Schools.
- I paid $15 for a batch of video lectures on Web Development on Udemy.
- I discovered Traversy Media on Youtube and find the tutorials extremely helpful and easy to understand.
- Bookmarked W3Schools and the MDN for quick reference.
- Created a Github and Gitlab account. I have a basic understanding of what Github is about, but have not begun to use it for anything. I don't know much about Git either.
- I am currently using Windows Notepad to write/practice/experiment with markup. I have installed Notepad++ and Visual Studio Code although have not tried to use VSC yet.
- I use Google Chrome exclusively as a browser and I am aware of its developer tools although have not explored them much myself.
- I use Windows 10 exclusively for my operating system atm but I have a feeling that it would be a good idea to refamiliarize myself with Linux. (thick cobwebs in that area)
- As of right now I am unfamiliar with any frameworks.
Do you have an resources/tools you would suggest? Tips/Tricks/Warnings?
edit:tldr