Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Anonymous Karma

Started by Kender_FAAFO [1674614] on in Suggestions.

297 replies · 1.63k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 298 / 298 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

OsRavan [2492713] Committee Committee
Well the idea is interesting. The original post isn't something I care much about. But then I don't post a ton, and I don't really care about karma.

That said, i've certainly read some stupid posts and gone "meh, i'm not going to down-vote that, because this guy seems like the sort of douche that would drop bounties on me/attack me over someone down voting his post." And it's just not worth the headache. It's not so much 'cowardice' as picking your fights.

I'm sure i'm not alone. I notice the negative karma tends to happen only when it *steam* rolls (i,e tons of down votes) meaning its probably safe and doesnt stand out as much.

So I guess the question is, does that matter? If you want the forum community to be something having self policing where folks thumbs down or thumbs up posts they like/dislike freely, having the anonymous feature would help. Less sucking up on the likes, less people avoiding disliking so they dont stand out.

If you LOVE karma you probably don't like this idea, since letting people anonymously down-vote probably hurts your karma gathering?

And ultimately I dont think its a crucial must-have change. But it is an interesting idea.
Triplicant [2037705]
I don't think I've actually seen this thread yet, which is kind of strange! When I saw the title of it I was thinking oh God no, but I actually read what you said and immediately my mind changed. I love the fact that you can see who upvotes and downvotes you, and that's something that I hope never changes - however, a little change can be a damn good thing. And that fits thematically with the other perks. R+ :)
Kender_FAAFO [1674614]
no, no I don't think I will. As I genuinely believe this a beneficial & useful change.
Seeing as how ched doesn't seem to want to do needed changes to territories, rackets, raids & such. I figure this has a legit shot at being something he'd jump on.
Wollongong [12833]
Look at the ratio of upvotes and downvotes, it is clear the community doesn't agree with you on how useful it is. Chances of this thing getting 250 positive are slim.

Spend your time on something more likely to succeed.
Kender_FAAFO [1674614]
I look at the folks voting against it & figure that's exactly part of why it's needed. Plus it doesn't bother me at all & it's as good a use of my free time as anything else.

Plus my experience with a few of the dipshits that take their karma as some sort of personal attack. Definitely shows it's a needed tool.
MeanMike [1884314]
Meh, "Anon" anything is weak af..

If you piss me off enough to actually do something negative to you in this game, I'm pretty keen on making sure you understand why whatever is happening, is happening.

A lot of people do a lot of craven, cowardly shit in this game, but there are not many I have a lower opinion of than people who do shit "Anon"

People who send Anon mails are the worst. "I have something to say to you, but I'm so terrified of pixels that I dont want you to know it was me that said it"... Does it really get any more pathetic than that?? When I get an anon mail, it doesnt really matter what it says, all that matters is that someone is so frightened by a middle-aged stoner, beach bum that tells jokes for a living, that they cant even own their own friggin thoughts or words. They took the L before I even opened the mail.

People that would Anon R+/R- strike me as the same sort of spineless jellyfish. Sorry.

I'm all about accountability for your actions .... and reactions.