Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

All about you

Started by Vincent [1577779] on in General Discussion.

27 replies · 650 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
35 / 100
Story score
68 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Vincent [1577779]
So I made a thread last year where people were talking about their current IRL situations and just being someone to vent to.


Thought I would remake this, feel free to share what issues or achievements currently going on with you. Or if you prefer privately to have a chat feel free to also do that. :)
JustJanet [911066]
We had bees decide to nest in a wall of our house a couple years ago. It took me almost a year to find an apiarist who would take them. They were nice bees. Super gentle.
Archer [2172225]
Summer holidays coming up so I'll have 4 children home to entertain and referee. Whether that's going to be an issue or a blessing remains to be seen.

Also I found out last night that the 6 weeks holiday is in fact 7 weeks this year, because they've not had much time off or anything this school year.
Samoiedskaya [1709631]
Yeah, it's always nice when someone "wants to talk" or lets me know "they are here" only to ghost me when they get bored.

Fakery, fakery and more fakery.
Vincent [1577779]
The sad part is, too true :/

Its the best when you talked to them for even a year or more than suddenly gone into thin air...becoming the norm these days.
TooMuchTuna [2147498]
Got my 23andme test back last week and found a half-sibling which allowed me to deduce who my biological father is. My father adopted me and my mother always told me about my biological father, but it turns out that who she believed was my bio father was not actually it. It's someone else and they have no idea. Makes me feel weird and I'm questioning if I should even come forward with this information.

Thanks for listening.
LordAlexxx [2188096]
That's a hard decision to make, now if he ever gets a DNA test with 23 and me wouldn't he be able to figure out the same thing. You never know maybe he does know or always wondered.
KermodeBear [2011760]
Can you recommend some resources for this? Beekeeping is something I would like to start learning about.

As for the thread topic, just bought 14 acres. Much of it is farmland I'll be leasing out to a local farmer (he tells me next year will be a soybean year), but there's plenty of other space for me to to stuff. This year I'll be putting in some fruit trees. Next year, there will be a garden (with hops for making beer), more fruit trees, and probably chickens. The year after that I'm thinking adding bees and a small barley field that I'll harvest manually. Then I can malt it for brewing.

I'd like to be able to brew beer with everything grown on site. I've done extract and partial / full mash brewing, but growing it all myself would be a very fun project. Wondering how hard it would be to isolate wild yeast. Then I could make a 100% local and unique beer.

You also wouldn't expect it, but I have fiber internet there, too. (o:
MissAdventure [2202270]
My mum had them form a hive between the floors of the house. The honey started oozing through the ceiling downstairs.
They came and smoked the bees out. The expensive part was repairs and it left a funny smell
TooMuchTuna [2147498]
He absolutely would! And yeah, I really don't know anything about what he may or may not know. Incredibly curious and emotionally confusing. lol
MisterM [2154120]
I am using Penn State extension course, it has been really good for information. Also there is BeeSource.com which is a great forum. On Youtube I like watching a channel called VinoFarm, he is not an educator just mostly vlogging but you can learn a lot from his trial and errors.

We are also doing some trees and other natural flowers around our property. For beer that honeycomb would add some great flavor I am sure! Have you tried to do a sour beer? I have really been enjoying those more and more these days.

My wife's family has around 100 acres and gifted us 11 to put a house on. So we are putting the hives in the back of the property which is full of wild life, trees and other natural sources for the bees.
MisterM [2154120]
That is crazy! I know once I get closer to starting I want to set up some swarm traps to see if I can get any. That is good they were gentle, did you know all worker bees are female and they are the only ones that will sting you. Drones are the male bees, they do nothing but mate. So if you ever see a bee in the wild, its a female working. At the end of the year when winter kicks in the females will push the drones out of the hive to save resources.
snowbeast [2173158] Moderator Official
I lived in a rural area in South Africa where a local bee keeper was infusing it with propolis. Made a cream to heal all sorts of ailments. They also had an edible that they where working on when I left.

Very good stuff.
JustJanet [911066]
Hmmm we didn’t have any smell after, but everything was removed. She took everything from the comb. She said it all is useful for the bees. If they didn’t remove all the honeycomb then bee carcasses were probably left. That was one of the things my bee lady told me was a problem with just chasing the bees away and then sealing the access. The honeycombs almost always have bees hatching and if they chase bees away and seal the comb up, they born and then die. She said the smell of death can be strong.
SickLoveStoRy [555013]
Pulled my back out after a concreting job that went slightly wrong after the ready mix lorry forgot the big chute.. so i had to wheel barrow the stuff from the truck to the slab mould.around 2 ton.. in double time after the driver had cheek to say he had a really busy day!!!!

Thing is i pulled my back out 3 days later cleaning up the stairs after my hooligan kids. Literally picking up some items of clothing.....

Been laid up for last 2 days in agony. Painkillers just are not touching it... hopefully i will feel a bit better on the morrow :(