8 replies · 2.08k views · thread synced · 5 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:9 / 9 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
9
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
118
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
3
Authority score
63 / 100
Historical score
49 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
74 / 100
Most-liked replies
Chedburn[1]Admin
· 79 likes · Thanks for the detailed suggestion, I've gone over everything and have some feedback... For starters, the amount of micromanagement / manual preparation / item assigning e.t.c. Although would be really cool and fun the first few times, I feel would …
Ched's post here in response to this 250 R+ suggestion requested some further details and information. A group of us including the OP, MsExa, got together to hash out ideas and create a document outlining our ideas for OCs 2.0, implementing features and ideas of the OT into a system we believe is pretty refined.
I had linked the document in that thread after a few weeks, but we've received no indication Ched's aware of it. We understand it is a long document and do not expect a response right away, but posting in B&I to be sure he does have it. We had made a demo from an older iteration of our ideas which we can privately mail a link to. We also have a lot ideas for Steps, and can work on a spreadsheet providing dozens of steps if he's interested and exploring these ideas further.
Thanks for the detailed suggestion, I've gone over everything and have some feedback...
For starters, the amount of micromanagement / manual preparation / item assigning e.t.c. Although would be really cool and fun the first few times, I feel would become fatiguing quickly. When we consider that organised crimes would likely be happening daily in a faction, such novelty can become a feature's undoing in my opinion.
We also have to remember that with a system like this, players won't be creative, they'll follow guides and one (or just a few) metas will be established for maximum reward vs minimum risk, removing that gameplay from the equation. I know it would be tiresome attempting to balance that to create diversity, and maintain interest.
A lot of these ideas already exist in Crimes 2.0 where there's a diverse array of crimes that have substantially different mechanics from one another - this means we can get away with more narrow content / micromanagement because if a player doesn't personally like one system, they can instead go and do another, or another. Organised crimes however would need to be a single system, with the same mechanics between each crime.
I also was unsure about the 'pre-donating' nerve idea, it solves a problem, but it lacks logic I feel. We're not allowed to treat nerve as a currency that you can 'pay' towards something in advance, it's a resource. We have to follow these rules to maintain 'gameplay'.
What I really liked were the seven stages of organised crimes: Planning, Preparation, Approach, Initiation, Execution, Disengagement, Escape. That's a nice clean way of breaking down an organised crime into sections.
I also liked the idea of 'Heat'. Completing high-reward / low skill organised crimes, or failing a 'total success' would increase heat which reduces the success rate of future organised crimes for the whole faction. Heat can gradually decay over time. I like the idea of groups of faction members successfully completing their own high-risk OC, only to return to angry faction leaders who now have to deal with the additional heat.
We have a new team at Torn working exclusively on new concepts for Organised Crimes, who pretty much started today in fact. I'm hoping to achieve something very interesting and dynamic that hasn't been done before, but also with infinite replay value, while maintaining Torn's core feel.
I'm making the assumption OC's will be updated as part of crimes 2.0, but also:
"A lot of these ideas already exist in Crimes 2.0 where there's a diverse array of crimes that have substantially different mechanics from one another - this means we can get away with more narrow content / micromanagement because if a player doesn't personally like one system, they can instead go and do another, or another."
Thank you for the post, it would seem a fair amount of thought went into what we see here. I thoroughly agree and find the changes being looked at as positive for the players in Torn. The concept of the 'Heat' sounds like it could really be a great add forcing Factions to decide on the risks, etc., if it is implemented well.
Could we (as OC managers) build predefined sequences and save them for future use (with names / keywords).
Planning an OC would then only need an OC manager to choose a one from the list (of predefined sequences) and then map/select players to/against it.
The first few attempts at creating the sequence might take an OC manager a few attempts to get right but once they are done, it should be fairly quick and easy to setup and run the OC.
Hopefully this would take reduce the fatigue issue that Ched has concerns about.