Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

How does escaping work?

Started by ChenJH [2648502] on in Questions & Answers.

12 replies · 2.27k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 13 / 13 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
13
Discussion span
→
People posting
9
Likes on archived posts
36
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
42 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

Most-liked replies

ChenJH [2648502]
As long as I don't receive a damaging hit, does it mean I can escape?

For example I am in a 10*Car dealership, i press escape and the person pepper sprays me. It does no damage and I should be able to escape, even if I get sprayed right?
Orb [2434389]
An attacker can attempt to escape from an opponent on the turn after a turn where the defender misses. The escape is successful if the defender misses again, which means your escape chance is based on the attacker's dexterity compared with the defender's speed. Note: hitting for zero damage is the equivalent of missing, and thus if the defender hits for zero the attacker may escape.

Edit: Here is the link i found it. Torncity WIKI Attack and i am not sure about pepper spray.
Brian [85088]
Being in a 10* Car Dealership, the escape button should always be available for you to press during a fight, even if they hit you. But as stated above, even though if the escape button is available for you, it does not guarantee you will be able to escape.
SirEdge [2609907]
How about with the book? Does it make the button available whether or not they hit? Or just guarantee it works if you press it?
Brian [85088]
If you read the book it doesn't make the escape button always appear. But when it does, it has a 100% success rate. So if you use the guaranteed escape book with a 10* car dealership, you should be able to escape every fight guaranteed anytime you want lol.
DuckOfDestiny [2663371]
What are the reasons you would want to escape? If you escape your kill streak is not broken? There is a merit for escaping also I noticed.

"The escape is successful if the defender misses again, which means your escape chance is based on the attacker's dexterity compared with the defender's speed."

So take a item before the fight to increase dex and bring a temp item into the fight to debuff speed? This would increase your chance to escape as much as possible?
Brian [85088]
I think that's really about it. Just to not break a kill streak and for the merits. It might also stop you from losing ELO, but I'm not really sure what in all causes your ELO to change.

Anyways, yeah. The bigger gap you can bring between their speed and your dex, the higher chance you have of successfully escaping. So a smoke would probably be your best option. A flash doesn't last as long, and some people have welding helms.
undo [2090073]
You can also sell escapes, just like selling losses, except I think they pay slightly better. Which would typically not be worth it for more established players, but can make sense for a newbie if they're lucky enough to get that book early on. You'd ask the person you're selling to to equip a temp and set it to 100% in attack settings so you don't get one-shotted, and then (with the book) you could run away from anyone.
SirEdge [2609907]
Sounds like the book would be best combined with the 10* car dealership. How much do you figure that combination would be worth for selling escapes?
HOU5E [2337920]
I'm in the top 25 of players in this game for escaping from other players (wish me luck losing the coward title, ha!)

I operated an elaborate escaping service last year where I subcontracted out work after my own personal escapes book ended to some people I knew with the book ready to use.

My Escapes Thread
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=59&t=16159555

We did over 7000 escapes together among the three of us.

I personally made $2.3b in selling 2125 escapes over the 31 days my book was active but my subcontractors weren't able to quite keep up with my numbers.

I had the misfortune of my 10* car dealership starring down while I had part of a week left with my Running Away from Trouble Book active and it was a real pain in the ass.

Yes, you can absolutely setup proper attack settings with your clients...but you won't earn as much money because you'll inevitably get screwed over by an idiot client that can't figure out their escape settings or just as likely you'll miss opportunities to escape because your energy bar is full or your drug cooldown is ready or it's time to do a points refill and your client isn't ready for your services yet...so you wait around with a full energy bar or postpone a xanax accommodating clients.

You have to realize, some of these escapes contracts can take days, and really big contracts can take over a week! For a lot of clients, needing to mess around with their attack settings for an entire week to accommodate your service is a dealbreaker.

One of my subcontractors refused my insistent advice that he pair the book with the 10* car dealership and his performance ended up suffering considerably. He got complaints and I had to switch my other subcontractor (the one with the 10* car dealership job) onto a number of his contracts. I vowed never to accept a subcontractor without the 10* car dealership job again.

Personally, I was using my escapes book during eliminations last year, so if my client was playing eliminations I had to quickly get my escapes in before they were hospitalized. The link to the attack log is now expired but I once escaped from a guy during eliminations three times while he was in the same defend. So like some guy attacked him, and I escaped from him 3 times before the other guy sent him to the hosp. It was probably was my favourite attack log of all time. I wish i had a screenshot like I did of escaping from Bodybagger.

If I have any advice, it's get the bloody 10* car dealership job to go with your damn book. It's an amazing combo and the freedom it allows you while selling escapes will make you good money. The 310 car dealership job points make a huge difference in racing class A and you can unload a bunch of your shit in the item market with the no item market listing fee passive (great for weapons where bazaars don't function well).

Only other advice is that the amount of money I made had a lot to do with salesmanship. I cold called my clients, advertising didn't help much. Line-up as many clients as you can before your book start date, aim for old/wealthy/strong players and goodluck!

Mentions: Selling Guaranteed Escapes - $1.2m each