13 replies · 211 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
11
Likes on archived posts
27
Authority score
28 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100
Most-liked replies
Elizabeth[2339829]
· 4 likes · An item that removes some addiction is actually not a bad idea at all, though it'd have to be fairly weak, else you'd run into the problem of overshadowing things like rehab and the Suppression job special. I don't know …
Hello ladies and gents, as a heavy drug user this has been bugging me for a bit and I would like an item that could cleanse some addiction/ drug cooldown. ODing on Xanax of course is a risk we take when using them but I feel like the loss of E, Nerve and Happy are quite sufficient punishment already for being a dirty druggy. Being able to fly Switzerland to rehab and get full happy back is nice but then still having to wait almost 24 hours before I can get back on the horse sucks. I would like something like;
Cranberry Juice: Removes X amount of addiction and reduces drug cooldown by 24 hours. Adds 48 hours to booster cooldown in return.
The booster cooldown should be enough to stop people abusing it and using them to achieve Happy Jumps sooner as you will need the booster cooldown for DVDs/Candy depending on your poison. But as your booster cooldown wouldn’t have been touched if you OD on the 3/4th Xanax you could detox with said item and start the stacking process again a little sooner.
Africans also eat the root of the Iboga plant in a few countries, to supposedly completely alleviate the addiction from other drugs along with possibly minor hallucinations. If you don’t like the thought of Cranberry Juice maybe this could be used instead. With it being from the African continent this could be sold in SA in very small quantities with a low restock which should make it relatively expensive on the market.
Anyway I had a quick search around the forum but didn’t find anything similar suggested recently although I’m sure there has already been hundreds of similar suggestions.
Let me know what you all think would love to hear your feedback.
The 24 hour cooldown is a pain in the butt especially when you get unlucky and OD 4 times in a row, having an item to bring the cooldown down a bit would be nice!
Maybe there should be a chance the detoxing doesn't work? Could also bring in new merits! Or it could have an effect like if you use a drug within a time frame of using the detox your addiction goes up quicker?
Its a really good idea but im sure people will find a way to exploit it somehow ahah.
Possible straight swap then, remove drug cooldown for max booster cooldown? Could work that however much drug cool down it removes you are instead given that much booster cooldown.
Okay I hear you, I imagine an item such as this would have quite a high price on the market and there already many merits that you can achieve a lot quicker than was probably intended by just throwing excessive amounts of cash at. Thank you for your feedback though.
An item that removes some addiction is actually not a bad idea at all, though it'd have to be fairly weak, else you'd run into the problem of overshadowing things like rehab and the Suppression job special. I don't know how open to the idea Ched would be since addiction isn't really meant to be something that's dealt with so easily. I'm sure there's some balance between the cost of the item and the efficiency that you could find (ie. 1m and, say, half as effective as Suppression), but again, it really comes down to what Ched is open to adding lol. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm not super hopeful that it'll get added.
As for removing cooldown, this is without a doubt a big ol no. The cooldown is exactly that, a cooldown. You have to wait for it, and there's no getting around it. I see what you're going for, and I understand that it could be balanced to not be inherently overpowered, but the other issue with essentially "trading" cooldown times is that if you give people an inch, they'll demand a mile. If you give people a way to trade drug cooldown time for booster cooldown time, suddenly people now also want to trade booster cooldown for med cooldown, med for booster, booster for drug, etc etc. While that may sound relatively harmless, I have zero doubt in my mind that someone would find a way to abuse or exploit some tiny oversight or bug or something that would allow them to infinitely use something. But even without that, you have the slight discrepancy between the different cooldown times. Being able to trade med cooldown for booster cooldown is especially powerful since the med cooldown doesn't go nearly as high as the booster (anymore). But even with all that said and done, there's one more issue you have with trading cooldown times. With enough money, you'd be able to go from 0 energy to 1000 in an instant. Just take a xanax, use cranberry juice, take a xanax, use cranberry juice, take xanax, use cranberry juice, and then take another xanax and tada you've just accomplished what used to take a day and a half in less than a minute. It's just too powerful, even if you make it expensive. It'll turn wars, competitions like elims, chains, and just about anything else that relies on energy into a joke for anyone with enough money.
But hey, all in all, the idea of having an item that works to help get rid of drug addiction? I'm for it! We don't have anything like that yet, and I feel like it'd make sense to. It's just that removing cooldown is far too powerful.
Not too bad of an idea, but its a bit too broken i feel like. As a game that wants to give fair experience to all the players this will be very very bad for newbies and the like cuz rich people wont give a shit about how expensive it is and they can literally keep going for a killing spree if they want to, but since the items would be scarse and expensive its literally impossible for any poor boys to do anything. Oding on drugs can bring spice to the gameplay in various ways
items that remove addiction by a percentage/flat-rate would become super expensive to the point where only people with rehab bills of 100m+ would buy it
items that reduce drug cd by a significant amount of time would be too over powered.
i would prefer the item to double the rate of addictions natural decay allowing you to take 2 xanax a day without needing to rehab. would increase booster CD at a rate of 1/2 of the time your natural decay is doubled, ie. 1 cranberry juice doubles natural decay for 12 hours at a cost of 6 hours booster CD.
These are my opinions, i wont R- this post because i dont think it will come to be
I can understand tweaking drugs to make other drugs more desirable, since there really isn't much variety in the current meta. I don't really see that there is a need for an item to reduce addiction in the current environment or trading cooldowns. Addiction is manageable in the current meta and serves the purpose of adding costs to those that want to accelerate beyond a certain amount of growth. That is intentional and desirable so people the faster people push progression, the greater the sacrifice. That is what makes it possible for new players to catch up with more established players- this sort of item would be helpful to new players, but it would more likely end up going to established (rich) players as new players will probably find the cash more helpful than the items.
A method to mitigate that is to tie the benefit to something with diminishing returns. If you make it so the benefit is a fraction of a rehab and counts as rehab for future rehab effectiveness, then that will help with some of the abuse potential because it won't really provide much benefit to established players but would provide substantial benefit to new players.
I still expect that anything the reduces the costs of addiction in an item would be a nonstarter- I haven't seen anyone mention that this will allow for more serious drug use by players under level 15, and that mechanic is intentionally there to encourage folks to level up.
I started a thread about making a pharmacy as a company. I would be willing to make the 10* special something like narcan for JPs. Narcan would be used to reduce drug CDs. Almost the same as rehab but in a smaller dose say 100 JPs for 3 or 6 hours maybe more points to idk it'd be a balancing act
Sounds like it would become the book of carols for drug use. I can see it being a cool item, and I'd love something more to negate my candy popping habit but still feel the CD is there for a reason and should be. but like the above have said - with the nature of the item in torn I think it would become too expensive for an average player to use effectively.
Herpsacs got a neat thought though - instead of giving a direct take-off from your drug CD, it could help negate some of the addiction enabling you to overtime take more drugs because you can get there quicker.. -and his idea accounts for booster time, making it harder to abuse. think this type of item would be expensive still. but neat thought.