Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

[250 R+] New Education Courses: Sociology

Started by -Kevin- [1874371] on in Suggestions.

96 replies · 1.59k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 97 / 97 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
97
Discussion span
→
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
51 / 100
Story score
66 / 100
Engagement score
81 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

-Kevin- [1874371]
Hey, everyone. I have an idea about new education courses. It would be cool for old players to have something new to play with, and also for new players to have new options to choose from.


· Introduction to Sociology
Length: 1 week
Cost: $150
Working Stat gains: 25 Int + 30 End

· Methods of Sociological Enquiry
Length: 2 weeks
Cost: $500
Working Stat gains: 20 Man + 20 Int + 20 End

· Religion and Society
Length: 4 weeks
Cost: $850
Working Stat gains: 15 Man + 15 Int +25 End
Unlock the "Prison Fellowship" feature at the Church (You can use 10e to halve a person's jail time)

· Marriage, Family, and Kinship
Length: 3 weeks
Cost: $900
Working Stat gains: 20 Man + 10 Int + 30 End
Increase max happiness by 10% if you live on any property with your spouse

· Social Stratification
Length: 4 weeks
Cost: $1200
Working Stat gains: 35 Man + 15 Int + 10 End
Increase money gained from mugging by 3% (Multiplicative with Masterful Looting)

· Gender and Sexuality
Length: 3 weeks
Cost: $800
Working Stat gains: 15 Man + 10 Int + 30 End
Unlock the ability to be employed in any gender-specific job position without penalty

· Economy and Society
Length: 4 weeks
Cost: $1250
Working Stat gains: 10 Man + 50 Int + 15 End
Increase the Employee Effectiveness bonus on the final day of "Settled In" by +5 (+15 instead of +10)

· Bachelor of Sociology
Length: 5 weeks
Cost: $5000
Working Stat gains: 30 Man + 45 Int + 45 End
Increase critical hit rate by 5% if the target is affected by Distraction debuff


The idea is to have a perk that encourages group attacks. The other perks are mostly fillers, but I try to make them interesting enough to be unlocked individually. I just threw some random numbers on course length, cost, working stats, and the bonuses. Would be interesting to see new education courses, even if Ched comes up with something completely different from this one.

Feel free if you think you can add/change something to improve this idea. What do you think? Maybe you have your own idea about a new education? Let me know in the replies!
YourDad [1317930]
sounds like some solid additions i mean i was gone for 10 years from torn so i got half the education to do still but i know many players need something new to study
FrankScalice [1616904]
Only things I might change are prices seem pretty small and the Marriage Family and Kinship - would change that to add 5% Happiness instead of 225 because it should depend on what property they live in. Otherwise great idea bud!
-Kevin- [1874371]
Thank you for the feedback, guys!

Edit: Increased cost for some courses and +10% max happiness bonus for "Marriage, Family, and Kinship" course (5% of 5000 happy is still 250 so I think 10% is okay)
Nicotine [2440291]
R+ and all, but I think +5% money gained from mugging is a bit high. I'd either change that to ~3% at max and/or switch it with the perk for finishing the course.
-Kevin- [1874371]
Thanks for the upvote!

I decided to go with 5% because it's basically an additional 1 point to Masterful Looting merit, so I thought it wouldn't be too OP. But if enough people think otherwise, I could drop it down to 3%.
SirEdge [2609907]
I like the variety of the perks from these and how they address some specific needs- folks that want to be in companies for the opposite gender, something for business owners, something for muggers, and yet all on a single theme. This was well considered.

The individual values may need some work (as Neuropol mentioned, +5% mugging may be too high, as it would result in 14.5% total mugged with 10 merit levels, if I have the math right at .9*.95 = 85.5% remaining after the mug).

But yeah, overall, I think this has a lot for a bunch of different folks.
-Kevin- [1874371]
Thank you for the math and the positive feedback.

Just edited the perk for the Social Stratification course from 5% to 3%. Cheers!
nex [2054500]
Education 2.0 is coming out in 30 years so they won't add anything until then.

You still get a R+ from me though, it's not a bad suggestion.
-Kevin- [1874371]
Thank you!

According to Ched's response on this thread, I thought Ched would like to have a new education category. But I can totally understand if it's not going to be anytime soon because he probably prioritizes stuff like Crimes 2.0 or Ranked Warring.

Ched said: "I'd much rather just add in whole new education categories and courses, which has always been the plan. For this we need more advanced types of gameplay in Torn which new education bonuses can build on - which is what we're working on currently."

Mentions: [560+] Repeatable 'Post Grad' Education Courses

Rogue [1873490]
If I did the math right, a capped player in George's gym gets about a 0.5% gym train boost from the 10% happy. Seems about right to me, it should be less than the more direct education perks on gym trains.

I like the idea of the gender perk for jobs as well. I am not for more genders than binary as that is unnecessary game complexity with no gameplay impact, but allowing people to have all employment open despite whichever gender they choose seems like a good thing.

If the mug 3% has an impact on the mug amount (i.e. 100k becomes 103k) that seems about right too.

We also need some more perks to make the 150 perk merit attainable again, so having a few new ones in the mix is really good after we lost all those stock perks.
Wollongong [12833]
The perks of the first few are absolutely worthless for those who already have all degrees. But I'd still take those classes.

I vote yes, although I'd make the duration a bit longer
Zwel [1863227]