Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chat Room

Started by Wildcat [2213930] on in Roleplay.

108 replies · 695 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 109 / 109 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Tanarra [2649236]
I like the RPs that I am participating in so far, but yes, some go nowhere, sadly. RL comes first, I get it.
I also don't want to overcommit myself to participate in too many RPs -- as I also have my graphic biz to tend -- my faction -- etc. But the RP forum is one of my fave things about TORN, so THANK YOU fellow RPers. ♥
Tanarra [2649236]
OMG Dark, I do! I'm so analog. Maybe it's my age... but I love libraries and the tactile nature of books. I love handwriting letters to people. I like bookmarks and bookplates. I used to read the dictionary as a kid. I had the full set of Encyclopedia Britannica! LOL
Wildcat [2213930]
I am the proud owner of two (I think I have two) old dictionaries. (No they aren't up for grabs lol) I prefer the book over the digital one. A lot more character in the pages of a book than the screen of an electronic device.
Yazi [2139270]
I got discord, if u lot are interested.
Anyway, I'd say Wood's is a mixed bag. It's the most freedom you can have in an RP.
Oh and dictionaries are THICC BOOK FOR VIOLENCE
Book-Wyrm [2320176]
hi, I was just wondering, well how does the RPing work? do you just join any ongoing story or is it rude to just butt in? what sort of things are you supposed to do if any? are there rules?
Tanarra [2649236]
Hi Book-Wyrrm, love your name :). RP in Torn is pretty casual, turn based storytelling. You can certainly jump in to any of them, just read a few pages of history, and walk right in. Wood's Tavern is a great place to start. Several of us RP in different stories, so if you have any questions beyond these, don't hesitate to reach out. We're a great bunch, if I say so myself! :D
AkiraDawn [2141091]
Some of the RPs like Limbo and Woods are a bit of a free-for-all with story mixed in that comes and goes and comes again :)

Others, like the Space Adventure / Escape Tower have set plot lines that are running, with established characters playing their specific roles. For those, it's best to talk to the person who started the RP before just jumping in!

As for roleplaying, I'd say the most important thing to keep in mind is that RPs are collaborations - everyone working together to create something cool :)

So, when you join, make sure you're up to speed on at least the most recent stuff that's come before so you have an idea of what's going on so you can take part and have fun with everyone else.

In an RP you control your own character that you create, and that's it, generally. You can have more than one going at once if you can keep track of it all!

Most stuff is written in third person, past tense - Elandra ran down the stairs and bumped into a wall (as opposed to Elandra runs down the stairs and bumps into a wall)

Power playing is frowned upon - which means don't force another person's character into an action. No one likes that.

What not to do: Elandra ran down the stairs and bumped into Tut, sending him flying into the moat where he was eaten by an alligator! Instead do: Elandra ran down the stairs and bumped in to Tut where he stood right at the edge of the moat full of alligators!

I've been roleplaying for...20 years now? There's all kinds of stuff to learn and play with :) Biggest rule of thumb is just to aim toward working together and having fun with the group in the RP :D
Wildcat [2213930]
Just a side note, Wood's Tavern can be quite intimidating at first glance. We are on page 122, but feel free to hop in!
Yazi [2139270]
Some RPs have rules, but some don't.
If you're looking for an RP, may I suggest Wood's Tavern? Somewhat of the centre of our little RP universe.
Yazi [2139270]
Just wanna say, certain moments of power playing work, but don't do it often. If a response will be short, it's best to just include it.
AkiraDawn [2141091]
Oh yah - the reality of it is there are no rules. You can be whatever you want to be - there's no moderation, no ability for anyone to enforce any kind of order aside from the Torn rules of conduct.

I figured the original poster was more looking at all this and wondering, 'Oh, that looks fun...but, what do I do? How do I even start?'