Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Racing Upgrade

Started by Villainessa [2087571] on in General Discussion.

18 replies · 547 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
18
Likes on archived posts
49
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
54 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

Most-liked replies

Villainessa [2087571]
Been in Torn for a few years, spent alot of time racing as its a perfect time to waste strategic hrs i.e bedtime or while chaining etc. Why isnt there much more to racing? It would be more realistic to make at least SOME cash for the tiny effort involved. 500k 1st finish - 250k 2nd and so on... Why not a sponsorship, sorta like how factions and companies work ; One could create a racing team, or a wanna be competitor myself could apply for one while waiting for the day I create my own race team. How about custom car colors, so every NSX isnt cookie cutter silver? And maybe a driving school and mechanic course to add to the education tree? The list could go on for paragraphs.... Racing has been fun for the merits and faction events > and OFC the once a year URT , but other than that its kinda mundane : Tho it doesnt have to be
ChillySpunc [1905415]
The only change I want to racing is a settings page for custom races. I run races for my faction and having to wait until someone joins so I know I haven't f**ked up settings sucks.
Beerstein [1322136]
I'm not too worried about racing 3.0. Racing 2.0 was too big a disappointment for me that I just don't think the devs can make it particularly interesting which is a shame since there are a lot of examples out there to learn from.

That said, the fact that the fastest racing skill gains are from a company and no one complains about it tells you how serious people are about it lol.
Wintance [2487518]
I share the sentiment that the racing aspect of Torn feels severely underdeveloped. And it is indeed a shame because I do feel that the concept has potential. The amount of upgrades you can add to each car, for example, is quite well made - And each of the racing tracks provide a different challenge which it can be fun to play around with.

But the two core problems is that there is very little incentive to keep racing once you have unlocked the Merits involved with it, as well as the fact that once you've got different cars decked out with upgrades for the tracks then you've essentially "solved" racing and there's nothing more to do. In short, there is no end-game. This is a serious design flaw and I'd like to see it upgraded some day.

More customization options (such as car colours) would be nice, but I think the main issue is still that there need to be greater risks and rewards involved, and more ways to engage with the races, such as by allowing us to join racing teams as was suggested above - Perhaps with monthly standings, and promising rewards to chase after. Put simply: Give us a reason to care about racing beyond the Merits!
PhilCollins [2157235]
When I just started it boggled my mind how racing has all these detailed upgrade mechanics, and yet there's no point in actually doing the racing except for 2 or 3 merits.
Patient [2131539]
Racing is a really great opportunity for emergent gameplay. There's a bunch of player run tournaments and competitions. This game is a sandbox, so explore that sandbox some more and find those rewards to be had and work towards getting them.

All of the things you suggested in your post are things you can make happen, so why not make them happen or get involved with someone else trying to make them happen? There's not many benefits that part of the game provides on it's own, but all of the tools are there for players to make it something that rewards participants with the benefits you're asking for.
Jairyll [2167612] Officer Officer
Actually there is a GREAAAAT racing community combined with a lot of fun! Of course there could be more to racing but we are making the best of it :)

Nowadays there are tournaments running covering the whole year. All unique and fun and with chances to win small and big!

Just have a look to the racingforums, registrations are open for JLT atm for example or join the huge racing-discord "pitstop" which is making racing a whole get-together with awesome people of different age, skill, ideas etc.... you just need to get really into it :)
Kief [1944647]
if there is going to be a racing expansion, please based it on nfs most wanted 2005, the lore of being a street racer and the bounty system/notoriety instead of sponsorship and fans makes sense in torn. much cooler concept too
SlimGoodbody [2676196]
That's why I started this NAS-T-CAR monthly racing series!

While the system doesn't allow for it directly, we can all spice up racing by running little fun tournaments like this. I made this so every class of car could have a race, and the top 10 racers win money. I'm giving away a little over $8M of my money for it. I know it's not a whole lot, but it's something to jazz up racing. :) Of course, I always accept donations to make the pots even sexier! ;)

I'd also like to see an option to host a race but not participate in it, like charge a fee or something for it. But that's just me. :P

First race is tonight @ 0:01 TCT! Bring your best modded E-class car!

Mentions: NAS-T-CAR Octoberfast! That's it! See You in Nov!

Penetration [2340613]
Racing 2.0 is already released. We never used to be able to follow cars around the track and whatnot.

However, Ched has a lot more planned for racing. He talked about fans, sponsorships, potential drag racing and more.

It's going to be a while though as these upgrades are not even on the radar until waring, crimes and OC's are released and the many errors that come with them are fixed.

We might also be waiting on more missions, travel 2.0, and various other updates before racing gets more love.