Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Do you actually hate them?

Started by Wollongong [12833] on in General Discussion.

70 replies · 1.54k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 71 / 71 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
71
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Wollongong [12833]
Torn needs conflict. Without conflict, there is little reason to train stats, or ... well... do anything.

Some of us have people they consider their Nemesis, or archenemy. Sometimes, that is mutual. But, with this thing being a game, there is no real reason why you could not be good friends with your Big Enemy.

After all, this is classified (by Ched) to be an MMO RPG, and with every RPG, there is IC and OOC (or at least, it could be).

For me, I've always had a bit of a blurry line between Wollongong and TPB Wollongong, bringing the values I hold in high esteem IRL with me into Torn. And boy, did I feel hate towards some people in the early days.

Nowadays, I don't think I am really capable of hate anymore, but I still value the same things as before. So I very much dislike scammers, trademuggers and such. Long live the blocking option. My BL is full of them.

So what is it like for you? Do you have very friendly interactions with your enemy? Or would you pee in their beer if you ever met them?

Do you call them names in the forum, harass them verbally and then go to a bar together, or do you ugnore then while you are brooding on uktimate rebenge, the fire of hate keeping you awake at night?

Is there a barrier between your person and what happens in game, or is everything that is done to you something personal?

I'm curious.
TexanLady [1800677]
I don't believe I really hate anyone on Torn. Like you, I dislike scammers, etc. Years ago, when I played under a different name, I used to get so upset and feel hate towards a few people. I out grew that. Mostly, I lurk in the forums and read. The ones who post crap, actually crack me up because of all the people who do get angry in the forums. I always feel bad for the noobs who post without realizing the risk they are taking.

I rarely down vote a post. I just ignore. If I like it, then it is worthy of reading.no matter what others say *grins*.

To me, it's just a game and I try not to take anything too personal.
SporkMonkey [2065017]
There are some absolute wastes of human flesh playing this game - several people that are known pedos, supporters of terrorist organizations, and/or blatant racists. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. The world would be better off without them. Of course, I wouldn't say who they are because that would get me a forum ban probably. It's no secret who they are, though.

Past that, there are some people that are probably retarded because their parents spiked them like a football when they were babies, but I pity them, not hate.

Past that, it's a spectrum of who the f**k are you to whatever to people I like.


Here are the people that seem to be "pro" the things listed above, I suppose?:

Taopai disliked your post



Do you actually hate them?

Redxjak [2255595]
I only hate one person in torn. She is the worst and once I am stronger than her, I will mug her until she begs me to stop
StepBrother [2583411]
I agree torn needs drama. I dont really hate anyone and I have the most fun when I can have a playful relationship w my enemies. But i dont think i have any enemies atm. So if ur looking plz apply xD
Kender_FAAFO [1674614]
I would happily watch the "people" in game, that have managed to reach my point, be eaten by feral hogs. I hold folks on the internet accountable to the same things I do in real life. Advantage to the internet, those type folks have a safety barrier afforded by the web, that is not present in the real world.

I don't think about them except if they cross my path. They do nothing to negatively impact my fun in the game. Same as they wouldn't in the real world.
CrookedPaper [1832759]
I really really thought it said TOM needs Conflict. Who is TOM? What did TOM do? Do you have his Backstory? or Maybe HER Backstory?

Do you know what Victoria's Secret is????? She's a man......
Error-505 [2671911]
The mind cannot differentiate virtual from real stress, so on some fundamental level in my psyche I must hate them for some small amount of time. For me the question goes into memory - how do I categorize the memories of them. I.e. do I hold a grudge?

To answer that, context is required. Were they just mugging or chaining? Did they single me out because I looked juicy? Hitting more to home - do they even know me well enough to make it personal? And if so, are they important enough to me to carry that much weight with me?

Tldr?: People aren't as important as they think they are to each other.
advert [2267832]
the only real enemy in torn is yourself....

...and by that, I mean your emotions. Keep your emotions in check and you'll be alright


[image: i.imgur.com]



edit : I forgot about ched... okay so there are two real enemies in torn...
DoctorCuraga [2615198]
Hate has a limited shelf-life. (My own view on that would be: "You die, or they die/both".)

However, salt lasts forever, and continually occurs/increases naturally.

EDIT: Having said that, it takes up "valuable" space in your mind to consciously hate someone without just ignoring them, are they worth your E/time?

I hate a person that I have never even met.

Hitler.

But say what you like, the trains ran on time.
Kirby [2094919]
I don't hate them. Their presence just makes me sad. I almost miss them, but given the chance to reconcile, I wouldn't know what to say. I wonder if they think about me as much as I think about them.