Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chat breaks

Started by MrMackey [2452749] on in Bugs & Issues.

11 replies · 121 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
4
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
4
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
34 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
51 / 100

Most-liked replies

MrMackey [2452749]
A couple times a day ( every couple hours) all chats break for me and say: Connecting to the server...
This issue can be resolved when i close my entire internet browser (chrome) and open it again.
Closing just the torn tabs and opening them again doesn't fix it.
I don't experience this on my phone (kiwi browser)
This has been happening for a good couple of days, maybe even a week.

[image: i2.paste.pics]
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
There haven't been any chat related changes or issues reported, since this is working for you on your mobile device and breaking down on your desktop browser, it is unlikely that there's any issue from Torn side.

Please try clearing your browser cache and turn off your scripts and extensions for a little while and see if it still happens.

Thanks!
Nobody [237547]
I can confirm that I have the same issue from time to time, or that the chats are completely hidden all together. The issue is most prominent when chaining, and restarting the broswer (like OP described) fixes the problem (on firefox as well).

For me I mostly cannot see the chats all together, the "connecting to the server" happens mostly if I have been away for a while (while leaving the browser open, something I do 24/7)

The connection issue has been around for years I believe, the chats disappearing is rather new (only bugged me this Halloween event).

Edit: also mobile is fine, but I don't have more than 2 tabs open there, and chaining takes much longer on mobile. I've suspected some limit to server calls or something, but that also does not explain why restarting browser works... I have noticed that the chats vanish a lot faster when I restart the browser though, and not doing anything (basically browsing forum instead of chaining) the chats will re-appear on their own when changing page.
ilooktoyouwbne [2664024]
I've had the same issue on Firefox. Sometimes it's just the "connecting to server" message but currently the entire chat bar down the bottom of the screen has entirely disappeared, as seen in the screenshot below. I've had those tabs open quite a while as we're chaining right now, only one has a chat window that will likely disappear if I refresh, as it did on the other pages. It seems to happen more often when I have multiple tabs open for a long period, and the only way to fix it is to close the entire browser.

For me, this has been happening since the Elimination event. Other players told me it was around the time extra chat windows came in for Elimination, at the time we thought the issue had to do with me not joining the event but it's happening still.

Turning off extensions does nothing to fix it, neither does clearing the cache. No torn related extensions were in use at the time of the screenshot, and although I forgot to disable the others (i.e. adblock) they also have no effect on it. I'm fine on mobile (Torn PDA app) but I only use it to briefly check things when I'm out, so it's usually five minutes with one tab open.

[image: i.imgur.com]
Tcnicn [2185634]
Chat completely hidden for me - disabling extensions/scripts has no effect - clearing cache&cookies fixes it for about 10 minutes before the issue comes back
Chats started disappearing shortly beofre the halloween event started
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
For others who have commented here, if the chat boxes are disappearing on Firefox, then it is due to a local storage bug in latest iteration of Firefox. Something that cannot be addressed from Torn side. (report here). Please refrain from adding that issue to this report, it is unrelated.

Mentions: Firefox - Chat Boxes Disappearing

h4xnoodle [2315090]
chat won't even pop up for me right now at all. I've removed TT and hard refreshed etc. No console errors show why at all.

updooted firefox so that's probably why ^

Oftentimes the chat will not even send my message. I write one, hit enter, it shows in the box, then later on if I open chat it's like I never wrote anything. makes business over chat very hard. -- this happens regardless of browser/etc.