Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

2FA "change device" does not work

Started by SuicideTree [2131931] on in Bugs & Issues.

18 replies · 187 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
0
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
9
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
38 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
53 / 100
SuicideTree [2131931]
2FA login is not working after switching device with "change device" option.

I've recently changed my device and the option to "change device" for 2FA is not really working. Three times I burned two of my login attempts on wrong codes, that's a total of 6 wrong codes. Every time I had to login with the code provided via email.

The point is that to make it *take*, I had to remove 2FA altogether and then add my new device.

So once again, the "change device" does nothing at all. You are seemingly left with 2FA on, because the code generated by the new authenticator is accepted in torn settings. However it is not registered/paired correctly and I am not able to log in with it right after. I cannot say if the old authenticator would still work in this case as that has been removed already before the switch.

This happened around 08/25. On the day or before it.

What's going on an whose fault is it?
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
I am unsure who the correct developer for this would be. Passing along to Joe for re-assignment.

Thanks!
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
By the sounds of it, all sounds fine here?

You're right that we don't have a confirmation process once a 2FA device has been added, we just assume all's fine. If a mistake was made, can't you login with the email code and change it again?
SuicideTree [2131931]
I can, but presumably a feature that is broken or does not work all the time or in a predictable manner, most likely should not be present at all?

Leaving it as is, crossing your fingers and hoping for the best does not seem like a good practice.

If the correct or 100% foolproof way to change your 2FA is to remove it completely and add it from scratch, I would suggest removing the option to "change" it altogether.

I am no genius, but someone less savvy, who is unable to login, might not return to the game at all, especially if they locked themselves out of their account and the procedure to get back in (emails, verification or whatnot; I do not know what are the steps after 3 failed 2FA codes have been used) is too annoying or long.

That is a risk, as tiny as it may be.

Current state is imo not acceptable and confusing/misleading.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I've just tested the system and it all appears to be working fine, I wonder if you missed the "NEXT" button below the QR code? Please try again, or maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
SuicideTree [2131931]
I missed the next button...? Okay. Lets assume I did.

The steps:

Change
Scan the QR
Next button
Enter code
Verify button

Then I log out and try to login with the new authenticator, all codes fail when I do it this way.

I have to remove 2FA completely and add it back in as if I had no 2FA to begin with if I want it to work properly.

I do not know if I can make it any clearer. Which Next button did I miss again?
SuicideTree [2131931]
Just changed the authenticator twice successfully. So at the moment I cannot reproduce it either. However there should clearly be six failed attempts in the logs around 08/25. I am not doing anything differently now, if you cant see anything wrong on your end - close this.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
If you notice it again, please create a new report. I know there's just under 8,000 people using the authenticator 2FA currently, and this is the first I've heard of this problem. Let's see if anyone else mentions it in the future.
Crudak [2224763]
Hi @chedburn

I have noticed this issue. Android 10 , switched from Google Authenticator to Authy. I have paired through the settings with Authy and when I try to login in a new browser using the code from Authy, I get an incorrect message.

I have reseted to Authy twice and still same issue.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
So you fully setup the 2FA on authy, but now when you login, the code supplied is not being accepted?

Can you completely remove it and set it up again please, to ensure it was not a mistake on your end?
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I'll pass this to Nikita, maybe he might be able to find some kind of issue here. Then we can ask Serhii for his advice perhaps.
nikitad [2147691] Tester
Hello
Seems to be, I've replicated the issue
I just removed all authenticator devices and re-create a new one
Passing up to Serhii
Thanks
Crudak [2224763]
Hi, I have, for the 3rd time, rechanged the authenticator. This time it works. (I did the change 2-3 days ago tho)
Crudak [2224763]
Could not be a mistake on my end since I only have to take a picture of the QR code using Authy, theres no way to mess that up.
serhiid [2307949] Admin Staff
Hello
It seems the issue is related to unsynchronized time in the authentification app. Please follow the instructions in the error message (https://i.imgur.com/kSNlF8n.png). After that, the issue should go.
Thanks!