Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Private chat logs.

Started by Rich [900727] on in Questions & Answers.

11 replies · 435 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
11
Likes on archived posts
21
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
64 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

Most-liked replies

Rich [900727]
I recently requested private chat logs to settle a dispute and received this answer from staff.


[image: i.imgur.com]


So what would be a reason to pull private chat logs?

I would think that private chat logs have to be made available to the owner of the chats if requested, I'm sure there must be a law that covers this, I know that phone providers must keep all messaging for x amount of years and make them available to the owner or the police on request.

It's not a big ask to retrieve chat logs and it would solve a huge problem that will never be resolved without them.

ugh
Aleks-ODBird [2259658]
Why should staff assist on a personal dispute? Assisting in 1 case will open up to instances of more requests, potentially diverting time away on their actual duties.
SirEdge [2609907]
Chats are supposed to be getting an overhaul. Maybe we will have greater access to older items in the new framework, but for now, probably best to expect it is gone once it isn't on the screen any more.
PatBenatar [420347]
That is not correct, they need to have a reason and the ability(rank) to access the private chats. I believe the only reason that I am aware of is to conduct investigations, which would be admins/CM/officers that has investigation powers.
CRLF [2095076]
I agree with Pat. As I understand it, either bogie or an officer would be able to view chat history if investigating a possible rule violation.

For example, if you opened a report on someone claiming they made racist comments to you, or threatened you, and you provided a date and time, then bogie or an officer would examine the chat log only for that time window to determine if the complaint is true.

Even so, they will not be sharing the chat log with the participants.

It's always best to take screenshots of your chats or otherwise record them if you think you will need the content later.

You can also conduct your conversations in Discord, where you can view chat history. However, bear in mind that in Discord, a person can always remove anything he's already posted to you.

Also, for purposes of player reports, only Torn chat or the Torn discord room is discoverable by Torn staff. Other Discord rooms are not discoverable unless the contents also violates the law (i.e. real life threats, solicitation of minors. etc).
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor
If you read what I said again, you'll see "regular players".

Staff can definitely view logs if they have a reason, I never said they couldn't.
Fermion [2691036] Officer Officer
The fact that they had those chats? A note made by you in the note editor would be owned by you, yes?
undo [2090073]
Legally, quite possibly not. You'd have to look at the laws of the countries involved and the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up, etc.