Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Further education

Started by Ali_Looya [193293] on in Suggestions.

7 replies · 111 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
23
Authority score
27 / 100
Historical score
16 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
50 / 100
Ali_Looya [193293]
(I'm aware there is an old thread being bumped but as it is over a year old I wanted to add my own suggestion here)

The fact of the matter is for older players there are no educations left. I finished them years ago and it's a wasted part of the game for us.

I think a Masters level in current degrees offered would be a great addition to education (and you could even then follow that with a Phd at which level you must choose only one to specialise in gaining a further ongoing boost in your chosen area.)

Some ideas for MA/MSc benefits (open to more ideas at any time)

Biology - allows a limited number of attacks to use 2 temps per X number of days eg 10 attacks per 7 days
Commerce - reduces company advertising costs by x%
Combat Training - small increase in weapon xp rate
Computer Science - small boost to hacking crime
General Studies - smallincrease in daily job stats
Health and Fitness - small boost to life regen speed
History - each collectable/artifact exchanged now earns points on a loyalty card giving an extra X points per Y items/sets exchanged
Law - small decrease to bust failure rate on multiple busts
Mathematics - an additional small bonus to ammo management
Psychology - small decrease in jail/hosp time from failed OC/crime
Self Defence - small increase in kick damage
Sports Science - small increase to energy from X amount of cans per Y days

I would suggest each MA lasts for 6 months or so. It will make people choose more wisely rather than blindly going through each course in turn to just churn them out and just might make that area of the game worthwhile for those of us who've been twiddling our thumbs with eds for the last few years.
Elizabeth [2339829]
Been asked for a couple of times in a variety of ways. Ched has said he's open to expanding on education, but not by way of post grad courses or the likes. It'd have to be unique courses/degrees that offer benefits separate from the others without being overpowered or virtually useless (ie, repeatable courses that provide extra work stats, but nothing else).

You can find his response [HERE]

Mentions: [560+] Repeatable 'Post Grad' Education Courses

Ali_Looya [193293]
That response was about a repeatable course that only offered stat boosts and gave honours. I don't feel it has a lot of relevance to my suggestion tbh.
Elizabeth [2339829]
Regarding the other more advanced suggestions - the same problems apply. I'd much rather just add in whole new education categories and courses, which has always been the plan. For this we need more advanced types of gameplay in Torn which new education bonuses can build on - which is what we're working on currently.

~ Chedburn [1] 20/05/2021

This, I believe is referring to the "advanced" courses (ie, post grad courses)

Mentions: Chedburn [1]

Ali_Looya [193293]
Here he's talking about them being unobtainable for new players.
To that I say that's tough shit for them. They have enough advantages that older players never had already.
Enough older players have suggested building on existing educations for long enough. Ched needs to get the hint and realise that not everything is about new players. Older players are the reason he still has a game to attract the new ones to.
I've been playing for 16 years. I don't think it's too much to ask to have that loyalty rewarded.
unfairfriend [1139512]
I think it would be nice to have some specialty options, kind of like with the sports science or specialty gyms. Some pathways that would allow players to specialize would make education feel a little more relevant to us older players. Would also add some diversity and strategy as opposed to just running out the clock to finish them all.
SporkMonkey [2065017]
I like the idea. Plus, specialized pathways would give some variance and credence to the "choose your path" crap that is sold as part of the game on the FB ads.
jscar [2091870]
I like the idea... tbh doing pretty much *anything* to extend educations would be welcomed but I like the specialisation approach