Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

[271R+] Revive Chaining

Started by Nobody [237547] on in Suggestions.

115 replies · 1.9k views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 116 / 116 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I'm very sorry, as I know it's an important feature for some in the community, but Reviving is and likely always will be secondary to the main features - we shouldn't hold it to the same standard as attacking. Implementing a whole chaining system for reviving isn't something we're going to do.

In fact it's more likely that, in the long run, we'd go in the opposite direction - possibly reducing the impact reviving has. It's been very difficult maintaining reviving's relevance due to its potential to cause significant imbalance between factions, we've already made significant design sacrifices to keep the reviving crowd happy. Not long ago, reviving, and pretty much reviving alone, single-handedly determined the outcome of wars - for now, we've found a balance that we think is suitable.

So to reiterate: My opinion is the same as it's always been. Reviving should be a useful (but minor) tool, not a core feature held to the same standard as attacking.
Proxima [1879587] Wiki Editor
The sooner reviving becomes a tool for merely ODs or a better life boost when getting out of hospital, and fairly irrelevant for wars, the better.
SirEdge [2609907]
Thank you for your consideration. This seemed like a logical development in response to your expressed desire to have factions not change perks all the time- give factions the ability to build themselves based on what they do and then we won't mind having the unlocks be permanent.

But when everything is built on combat and many factions aren't geared toward combat, that really slants the playing field toward factions geared toward combat- they get upgrades doing what they do while everyone else has to distract energy from what they do to increase their perks.
Untouchable [1360035] Committee Committee
The point is though, factions are about combat. That is their primary purpose.

A group of people coming together using combat to meet a common goal. Its like saying you want to play Call of Duty but instead of shooting people you want to rank up by picking flowers. You're missing the core point of the game and asking for a minor feature to be expanded, to the point where its just as viable as the main purpose.

I don't mean for the analogy to be insulting, apologies if it is but reviving is supposed to be a tool in a chest to serve a greater purpose, not a core feature of the game. I think the game would be in a better spot overall if reviving was never introduced as anything close as it is today. However, we have what we have and Ched has gone out of his way to keep revivers happy, I think reviving will only become less useful over time, not more.

It sucks that the path you chose isn't as viable as attacking, but you knew it was niche when you picked it.
SirEdge [2609907]
I'm not a reviver. I'm sort of a criminal. And I'm not really much of a fighter against players that hit back (but hopefully that will change).

Ched said he wanted to make perk decisions more permanent- I thought about it and that was the solution that made sense- let folks earn their perks through what they do. Don't make them switch gears to earn their perks.

And this isn't advertised as a combat game like Call of Duty- it has just focused that direction. This would have helped make it more well-rounded.

My personal preference would be for reviving to be primarily limited within a faction, so factions have to choose between 100 warriors vs 80 warriors and the bottom 20 keep the top 20 on the field longer. But since reviving isn't limited inside the faction, this seemed like the best path forward.
Jairyll [2167612] Officer Officer
Actually I didn't know it was a niche, no.

Seems like I joined Torn at a time where Reviving started booming or so... I was able to chose my path...there were warring factions, training factions, a few crime factions and revive factions. I chose my path without knowing I might throw my whole energy away and get me in such a big disadvantage comparing to others years later as the long-term plan is to keep revivers small or get rid of them entirely.

How should we have known? We just played a long what the game gave to us... There wasn't a red button saying: "careful, if you choose this direction you might regret" or "careful, if you choose this direction you will accept a path of minor relevance, which could vanish entirely one day."

I just think there are many people who like a supporting role and are used to not be minor or surpressed in most of the games world wide.

So how should we have known by choosing it? :)

I'm not bitching about it, I understand if you have been here for 10 years or more, for those guys it might have been obvious or clear that when reviving got implemented that it won't play a big role for them. You already chose your path before as well.

But meanwhile there are many players in my age also. And being here for more then 3 years is "something" as well. I joined my faction on my first day in Torn... I'm just a medic :D I didn't know what I got into :p

So I would appreciate and do it already if we would keep this role vivid in future however. We already had to bear with those tweaks and there might be more coming whenever... but don't take the sense of our prioritized gameplay entirely ever, please. <3
Nobody [237547]
Not sure about CoD, but in Battlefield you have medics who can revive people (you can only be revived once per spawn). It is nothing like "picking flowers", reviving 5 people while also killing enemies down a corridor takes more skill than just spray and pray. Not to mention that you can turn the tide of that particular battle.

Even in games like Apex Legends, WoW... Probably most multi-player online games rely on revives.
Nobody [237547]
I agree that revives with no limits but the available cash was a broken system... Might have been a better idea to block revives outside your own faction then, assuming what landed someone in the hospital was an attack. Crashing in a race and similar should ofc. work as it does now.

In that case I also think the revive upgrade tree would be broken, as people cannot upgrade that on top of war specials.

Also, in that case, it would still be logical to let revives give some respect, and even count on the current chain.