Weapons R&D
Started by Shaethun [2735143] on in Suggestions.
About this thread
Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 14
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 7
- Likes on archived posts
- 18
- Authority score
- 42 / 100
- Historical score
- 23 / 100
- Story score
- 43 / 100
- Engagement score
- 58 / 100
What does that mean? You don't like?
Well to start, it's incredibly difficult to read. Pro tip: just type your suggestions and use graphics for charts, mockups, and humour.
But also, Torn isn't minecraft. It may be an RPG, but it's not a resource management game in the same sense that most are. What I mean by that is there's no dismantling items, no crafting recipes or ingredients, none of that. Really, the closest we get is building a DB, but that's a rather rare exception. No dismantling, no crafting, and very limited "upgrading" in the way of weapon mods. Otherwise, that's just not Torn, and it's good that way.
But also, Torn isn't minecraft. It may be an RPG, but it's not a resource management game in the same sense that most are. What I mean by that is there's no dismantling items, no crafting recipes or ingredients, none of that. Really, the closest we get is building a DB, but that's a rather rare exception. No dismantling, no crafting, and very limited "upgrading" in the way of weapon mods. Otherwise, that's just not Torn, and it's good that way.
Thanks for your feedback! You can zoom in as much as you want if it's too small...
I'm new to Torn so I lack your insight, I just thought it might be a fun way to introduce crafting to the game.
Also appeal to new types of players that are into that kind of thing...
Feel free to propose changes to make it better and I will rewrite it using your protips
Regards,
Shae
I'm new to Torn so I lack your insight, I just thought it might be a fun way to introduce crafting to the game.
Also appeal to new types of players that are into that kind of thing...
Feel free to propose changes to make it better and I will rewrite it using your protips
Regards,
Shae
Yeah it's uh... it's not about zoom... Yellow text on a black background may stand out a lot, but it creates false brightness, which makes it hard to read. Not to mention, you've probably chosen what is, in my opinion, the worst font for reading XD
Yeah, I can see that you're trying to introduce crafting to the game. But... That was kinda the whole point of my response. Torn isn't about crafting, and it's not going to be anytime soon, if ever.
Yeah, I can see that you're trying to introduce crafting to the game. But... That was kinda the whole point of my response. Torn isn't about crafting, and it's not going to be anytime soon, if ever.
Font is terrible.
Yellow on black is terrible. While the idea works in other settings it adds a huge amount of needless complexity to the TORN setting. While this may appeal to you, does it really add anything to the current population.
Personally I vote a huge no on this.
How does it work, do you need a laboratory unlocked in a faction, can everyone just do this in their inventory, does it require a specialty item or property upgrade to be able to build these items. Because at least having the laboratory unlocked would make some sense in the current system. "Some". This would also mean everyone wanting to do this will need to find a faction over 2m that has lab unlocked or majorly handicapped in the way of perks.
Your proposed solution is already in the works it's just adding needless complexity. Will likely push back the development way longer then it would be worthwhile.
Being able to pick bonuses on weapons will only benefit one class of people while pricing average weapons with the good bonuses on them out of reach of most.
Fair fight bonus only goes up to 3.0 there is nothing above 3.0 Fair fight so I'm confused as to how this works.
Market value of item changes everytime an item is sold of that type so this is potentially adusible to lower or raise the amount of fairee dust.
Fairee dust? Really? Really?
Yellow on black is terrible. While the idea works in other settings it adds a huge amount of needless complexity to the TORN setting. While this may appeal to you, does it really add anything to the current population.
Personally I vote a huge no on this.
How does it work, do you need a laboratory unlocked in a faction, can everyone just do this in their inventory, does it require a specialty item or property upgrade to be able to build these items. Because at least having the laboratory unlocked would make some sense in the current system. "Some". This would also mean everyone wanting to do this will need to find a faction over 2m that has lab unlocked or majorly handicapped in the way of perks.
Your proposed solution is already in the works it's just adding needless complexity. Will likely push back the development way longer then it would be worthwhile.
Being able to pick bonuses on weapons will only benefit one class of people while pricing average weapons with the good bonuses on them out of reach of most.
Fair fight bonus only goes up to 3.0 there is nothing above 3.0 Fair fight so I'm confused as to how this works.
Market value of item changes everytime an item is sold of that type so this is potentially adusible to lower or raise the amount of fairee dust.
Fairee dust? Really? Really?
Fairee dust was a pun on "fair" since they are acquired from fair fights, was only trying to have a little fun with the font and "placeholder" names. Was trying to move away from the usual "wall of text" by going more graphics.
Also, this was just an idea to start a discussion about it, instead of asking me how it all works, I thought people would make modification/suggestions.
Now that I know how serious you guys are with this, I will refrain from making more suggestion.
Thx for the insight. Way to make a new player with good intentions welcome to your community.
Regards,
Shae
Also, this was just an idea to start a discussion about it, instead of asking me how it all works, I thought people would make modification/suggestions.
Now that I know how serious you guys are with this, I will refrain from making more suggestion.
Thx for the insight. Way to make a new player with good intentions welcome to your community.
Regards,
Shae
I'm sorry you feel that way. It's not that we don't want you or anyone else making suggestions, it mostly just comes down to the fact that "crafting" and similar elements have been proposed before and... they just don't really fit into Torn. By all means, make suggestions! We wouldn't have this forum area if making suggestions was discouraged in any way. I would urge you to use the search to see if future ideas have been suggested before, but otherwise, don't let us stop you from posting your ideas. Have confidence, and if it doesn't do well, well, just try again.
automatic r- because i'm not gonna zoom in on a pic and decipher your bad font choice
grave this thread, try again with actual text
grave this thread, try again with actual text
My eyes hurt trying to read this on phone
I was typing up a suggestion on a weapon/armor smithing addition to the game. I figured I better search first and came across this one.
I also recommend going with a nicely formatted wall of text for your base suggestion. I am actually a fan of the concept, but will echo that the font and image presentation is horrible.
I'd make the base suggestion be more concept and lacking in specific implementation details. I think the novel idea here you have is that one crafting component is received from fighting fair fights, while other components come from dismantling weapons/armor. start with those basics, then show your "potential example" as a way to further show the concepts applied. The example being a re-worked image presentation could be a good way to go.
I'm just going to copy/paste what I had drafted so far below in case you want to revise this suggestion with anything I have brainstormed:
I also recommend going with a nicely formatted wall of text for your base suggestion. I am actually a fan of the concept, but will echo that the font and image presentation is horrible.
I'd make the base suggestion be more concept and lacking in specific implementation details. I think the novel idea here you have is that one crafting component is received from fighting fair fights, while other components come from dismantling weapons/armor. start with those basics, then show your "potential example" as a way to further show the concepts applied. The example being a re-worked image presentation could be a good way to go.
I'm just going to copy/paste what I had drafted so far below in case you want to revise this suggestion with anything I have brainstormed:
What about instead of a weapon/armor exchange, there is a whole new crafting system introduced with skill levels like exist for the reviving skill.
There could be education courses with a degree related to deconstruction and crafting.
There can be company perks related to weapon and armor crafting.
You can get to the point where you can deconstruct ranked weapons and armor and receive materials to:
increase a weapon/armor's quality (eventually raising it's tier to yellow->orange->red).
transform armor type
add/replace a weapon perk (must be "legal" perk or combination on that weapon type)
More skill (plus education and perks) gets you the ability to get more/better materials from deconstruction.
Education and skill level also determine how high you can craft quality levels, along with the ability to replace/add a single perk, then later add a 2nd perk (after raising quality high enough).
It could require energy to perform the work on the weapons/armor.
You can have merits for weapon crafting and armor crafting to spend merit points on.
There can obviously be some related honorbars/awards.
I think it'd be amazingly engaging. As a developer, I could see it being fun to work on and implement. It's a fairly large scope project though. While I expect it wouldn't get past the issue of scope and get priority with everything else on their plate, I felt I had to throw it out there.
Although mentioning the words "flying" or "travel" might get insta-down-voted by Elizabeth, I could see potential in travel destinations selling "scrap" or item components to assemble in your inventory, such as first aid kits or clothing. But I also agree with what most people have said already - Torn isn't a crafting game. It's a text-based marathon crime game. So even with my enjoying the thought of adding in crafting as a cool way to add something fresh to the game, it's still a R- for me. Not inherently a bad suggestion, but not something for Torn and especially not at this time.
Hey now! The travel aspect isn't what I'm against!