Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn Racing League: We need your help! [POLL]

Started by Lightor [2215463] Officer on in Racing.

31 replies · 941 views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 32 / 32 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
32
Discussion span
→
Authority score
63 / 100
Historical score
42 / 100
Story score
49 / 100
Engagement score
70 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Lightor [2215463] Officer Officer
Hello racers!

No unfortunately it's not time just yet to restart the Torn Racing League though I hope everyone enjoyed the first season as much as me. It was a lot more work than I expected at first but thankfully I'm working on this together with Prezze so it was good I had someone to rely on when I couldn't spare enough time during the day and of course he does most of the spreadsheet work.

Since inevitably TRL turned into a faction race kind of thing there were bound to be some problems, what happens when I change factions, what happens when my partner changes factions, what if we change together, etc. just to name a few. One thing that has personally bothered me the most was that we didn't have a system in place to rank new teams that will register after our first season according to their actual performance without them going through years and years of racing, to end up where they should belong. Obviously I wouldn't want that for anybody, I want everyone to have fun and have exciting races, no matter the skill level of the team. This is where the new system comes in and before you vote, please let me explain it, read it fully, read my reasoning after why I think that this should be implemented immediately already until we find a better solution and if there are questions left ask those first before voting. This won't be an easy decision. So let's not waste anymore time and introduce our "solution":

The Wildcard System

Yes, nothing new entirely but we tried it out and it seems to work, kinda. They way it works is that new teams that register will be eligible to fill wildcard spots in a league if their performance matches other teams in that league which we will mostly base on time, like during the first season. That means if you're a superfast new team and you're crushing racers left and right and you're even quicker than let's say half of the first league, chances are high that you will fill one of those wildcard spots, that means next season you would join that league completely. Sounds good so far, doesn't it? Now comes the part which some people might find controversial, though as I said later I will explain again why it might be good to accept this downside.

Obviously since our leagues are structed for 20 teams that means if another team joins, leagues will have to be balanced out again. So one more Team (two if two wildcard spots are filled) will have to be demoted during the following season when the wildcard team(s) enters the league. Also doesn't sound too bad yet, I know but following up now, given the amount of leagues we have this would mean that if all wildcard spots are filled after roughly 7 leagues starting from the top an entire League would be "demoted" except those that earned their promotion place. This demotion would technically not be a demotion, just another league being opened in the lower middle so to say.

Another question that might come up: "What if more than 2 teams qualify for a leagues wildcard spots" - For this we simply decided the 2 fastest will earn the place, the third fastest earns the wildcard spot one league below then and so on. This supports the growth of leagues to the point of an entire league being demoted even more but I do think it is still a fair approach. Here you can see a picture to visualize a bit of what I mean:

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Now to my explanation why I think this is actually a good solution even if not perfect. I will explain from multiple standpoints:

Organizer (Me): One thing I won't like is that it will give Prezze and me more work, yes but it shouldn't decide the integrity of the tournament. Though as an Organizer it is obviously the goal to encourage as many people to join as possible, this solution will greatly improve encouragement for new teams to join, existing players to change factions and rejoin without looking at the daunting task of years and years of racing to climb up.

The average racer: He wouldn't like being demoted just because there are so many new fast guys, he wants to climb higher and not lower for doing alright. I agree with it, I wouldn't enjoy it either but keep in mind, prizes will remain roughly similar or maybe even the same throughout the leagues (we still need to work out the details but we don't have tens of billions to play around with, so as I said you wouldn't be losing out really) and if you're on the lower end of the leagues it will just give you fairer competition and racing, the chance to be the winner of your league. What use would it be if there is a steady stream of super fast racers that keep stealing your promotion (and maybe even your prize money) away? In my opinion this should make your entire experience more enjoyable even if instead of remaining in league 8 you could race in league 9 for example.

The new racer: As mentioned in the previous point, this system would be there to greatly increase the fairness of your competition, yes you're new to racing but let's be honest - that doesn't mean you want to finish the race when all the spectators have already left, right? Why not have exciting races with teams that are in your shoes? You will have plenty of room to grow still then.

The experienced racer: You can race at the top with the other top racers where you think you belong, even if Torn politics force you to join a different faction or your goals and focuses have changed, now the faction change won't impact your placement in the TRL anymore, you can quickly start with a new team, one season of proving your time and you can be racing right back up at the top. It sounds a lot better than taking years of climbing through the ranks for a simple faction change.

With my points now all explained, I have nothing left to say. If there are still questions before you vote, feel free to ask them in the thread here or chat me on discord in The Pitstop or through a DM.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I'll hopefully see you on the racetrack.
Heartflower [2626587]
I'm part of the "average racer" group and absolutely see no downsides from my point of view. Experienced reasons are not supposed to lose any chance at getting in the higher leagues (meant for them) due to faction politics and whatnot. Yes, I will likely fall down a few leagues, but let's be honest- me and my partner are (in my eyes) already way too high because of no-shows last year! LOL
GFTL [2020009]
I like this, while the goal of all of us it to reach the top league, I think having a chance of being competitive in whatever league you are in is extremely important.
GreekPoser [2527893]
So if a team is too fast for the rest of the competition, they can get a wildcard spot and jump to a more appropriate league. Sounds reasonable

I'll let the complicated math to Prezze and you I'll just explain things to participants when the positions are done at the end of it
JuicyJugz [2330104]
I like this idea. Only question I have is will new teams be racing in their own league or starting out in the current bottom league? Sorry if that was in there and I missed it
Lightor [2215463] Officer Officer
You didn't miss anything so all good.

It is planned that new teams will have their own league each time.
YEAR_ZERO [108862]
I think you guys have thought it through and tried to do the best thing, so I support you in doing that and thank you again for all the hard work you put in to try and make racing fun. I'm never going to win much in racing, but I don't mind, it's a good competition with lots of fun attached to it so it's well worth taking part.
Jenga187 [2202490]
I read through that passage and I just don't understand what your trying to say. I trust you all have thought this through, do what you feel is needed.
OhItsGreenNow [1959046]
What about a relegation system like the premiere league? The structure is already here, so it wouldn't be hard to implement

- Bottom 3 get relegated
- Top 3 get promoted
- In the even of a "wild card" situation, the corresponding league would have 2 promotion spots with 1 wild card. This would be a bummer for the league below as only 2 would earn promotion. If more than 1 wild card for same league then it can be determined by time, 1st and 2nd, second would go to the next league down...and so on

You could also add, for fairness sake, that a team can not be promoted higher than 3 leagues at one time. This would make it so a team would actually have to stay a team, and there is potential to lose and gain your spots. Also make it more fun for the teams at the bottom.

I think this would also add another element, and could possibly open up to a champions cup style tourney. Maybe a tournament of champions from race leagues across torn XD
Lightor [2215463] Officer Officer
I'm not sure on your exact suggestion with this, the bottom 3 and top 3 are moving leagues already with or without wildcard unless you mean that we should promote less people in case of wildcards?
OhItsGreenNow [1959046]
pretty much, i wrote it before bed so apologies for the rant lol, but yes that. So that way if multiple teams end up in the "wild card" they wont take away from too many teams that would otherwise be promoted.
Lightor [2215463] Officer Officer
The goal is that promotions are not affected, I might've forgot to mention that. There will always be 3 promotions, no matter what.
OhItsGreenNow [1959046]
thats a tough spot, i hope i didnt add to the troubles. I'm going through trying to game it out in my mind and each time it ends with a lot of work lol.

Short story long, i support the wild card system, but i feel league 1 should be the exemption. Even if they're fast enough for league 1 they should still be competitive in league 2. Not sure if that was stated already and i just missed it
Beau_Hunter [2163550]
I presume each League will only have 1 team from a faction in it and the top 20 in League 1 are the fastest 20 faction teams, League 2 the next 20 fastest etc, or can a Faction have multiple teams in the one league?