Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Russian boycott

Started by StumpyDog [2252131] on in Sports.

82 replies · 926 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 83 / 83 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
83
Discussion span
→
Authority score
30 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
77 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

StumpyDog [2252131]
What's your thoughts on sports boycotting Russian teams for invading Ukraine?

I think u can tell from my honour bar which way I think...
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor
I support boycotting Russian national teams, but won't go as far as Hasek by demanding Russian athletes contracts be suspended by the NHL
Dryroastednuttz [2335136]
Yup i agree throw them out of everything

They shouldnt be allowed to compete as a nation at anything

It also looks like the economic sanctions are beginnings to bite
TwstdInsightOut [1893719]
I respectfully disagree. To me, it's nothing more than corporate virtue signaling. You shouldn't penalize everyday citizens for the actions of government. For all we know, the sports franchises themselves may disagree with putins actions, but let's paint them all with the same brush, right?

Society seems to be rather two-faced in this regard.

On one hand we've said we can't label everyone the same for the actions of a few bad apples, but at the same time we say it's ok to do just that aslong as it's in the majority. We can't have it both ways.
Phil-I-P [2035498]
I think the purpose of these implementations is to stop money going to Russia as an economy. I've had similar discussions IRL and I genuinely feel sorry for the players in the Russian national team. They're caught up in it all. However, given the imposition of sanctions, I don't think there's any other way of UEFA dealing with things. You also have sponsors of sporting events having a massive say in things. Add that to politics and this is basically how it has to be, agree with it or not.
Nika99 [2306783] Moderator Official
I completely agree with you! Don’t punish all Russians because of what’s going on. They may not all even agree with what’s going on. And if they are competing athletically surely they aren’t having an actual physical hand in the violence going on anyways. Empathy and kindness works better than cold hearted treatment for those who don’t deserve it.
Dr_Phoenix [1601223]
You can't get mad at every single Russian because of the way that their government is running.

You can get mad at Russia the country.

But that's like the same mindset of hating a faction. Generally the people in the faction are great people and are fun to talk to.

You can dislike the faction but like the people.

You can dislike Russia but still like Russian players because they're normal humans.

I'm also like super drunk so who knows.
Rauhbautz [2108641]
Lol, now that is just woke level hatred coming out. Banning Russian bred cats.... not cats owned by Russians. Wow. Pure stupidity. Damn cats should have hid their hatred and racism better.

Okay, I mean I disagree with banning the athletes (Paralympics at that), but at least there I understand where the issue is, so... but cats? Lol
Tigrrrrrr [132684]
IMO, Russia and every ROC athlete should have been removed and banned from the Olympics the second it was revealed that another of their supposedly clean, high profile athletes was confirmed to be doping. I mean, they were already on sanctions for wide spread doping, cheating and faking tests at Sochi , yet they still continue an obvious systematic cheating of the rest of the worlds honest athletes. They even shamelessly drug their own kids with heart meds to gain an advantage and make them tell lies about sharing a glass with their grandpa ffs. How can anyone from that system be trusted ?

Once its proven you wont play fair, why should you be allowed to continue playing ?
kok [2316623]
Russian propaganda machine lies to their people (and made any realistic reporting on the war illegal), so this is a way to get to the actual people of Russia. They won't be able to support their government for long if they are faced with blockades every way they turn.
If it makes a few people less available to fight, makes civilian Russians and even oligarchs turn against their government, gives Russia less money to spend on the war machine, it's valid strategy.
Civilian targets are being bombarded day and night and some people call out virtue signaling and cry about pro athletes salaries. Well, it's a free world where you live, probably, so you're free to share those opinions :) Ukraine and Russia at the moment - not so much.

TLDR: every molecule of oxygen that can be taken from an aggressive regime that can fuel the flames of war should be taken away.
Aezur [1950769]
My reading of it was that the western response is isolation and economic warfare. This is just a part of that playline. It seems stupid on the surface, but makes more sense from a "death by a thousand cuts" framing.

I kinda think "this will only hurt the people, not the leaders" is ignoring how warfare actually works. The same could be said for the Russian missiles hitting civilian infrastructure and housing.

I'm pretty sure the overall playline is to make the Russians revolt though.
ChipWins [2264489]
I got an email from the PDGA yesterday announcing that no players from Russia or Belarus can compete in sanctioned disc golf tournaments. I think we will look back on this as the moment that won the war.
TwstdInsightOut [1893719]
One thing that I don't think most people think about:

What's the full history behind ukraine/Russia over the past decade or more?
And if this was just a willy nilly attempt at a takeover, if he's really that unpredictable, do we really think it's a good idea to have the world pile on and try to sanction them into oblivion? Couldn't that unpredictability turn itself out word and willy nilly drop bombs on any country he sees fit?
Unlucky [2472585]
I was on the side of “don’t penalise the athletes for what Putin is doing” until someone pointed out to me that because of the war Ukrainian athletes aren’t able to compete.


Letting Russians compete when Ukrainians can’t doesn’t sit right with me.
TwstdInsightOut [1893719]
That's something I didn't think about either. I can see that point, definitely.

Here in Ontario, our liquor stores have taken Russian alcohol off their shelves as a boycott lol that was like the provinces first order of business lmao