Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

str-def calculation is wrong?

Started by Yanmaya [2670611] on in Questions & Answers.

23 replies · 722 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

II-Sutera-II [462667] ×1 PikaPika [2156294] ×1 SpARkS4206967 [2175802] ×1 Yanmaya [2670611] ×1

Yanmaya [2670611]
So I had this duke target I was trying to kill, but I was doing 0 dmg to it, so I had to get help.

Now, my STR was 20,846,00, and I was doing 0 dmg with my DBK.
The friend who helped me, had 20,868,000 STR but he was doing 22 with his hands.

both STR are effective, so I was off xan, so my STR is lower then my effective was, but my friend was was on XAN.

I was thinking that that 20k difference might be the reason im doing 0 dmg, so I trained a bit and got my effective STR to 20,869,000, 1k over my friend STR when we attacked it, but I was still doing 0 dmg, so this is not it.

Is torn tools effective stats wrong? is it a bug? it it just doesn't make sense to me.

I feel like its a bug because when I get def whore missions I usually kill them easily when off XAN, but once in a while I get those duke targets that I do 0 dmg to.

the report: report (the attack when I had 20k less STR then my friend)

You can see in the report that my friend also did 2 hits that are 0 dmg.
But you can clearly see that all my hits that does any dmg is while def mitigation is on (1 second after my friend hits), while my friend is doing dmg without def mitigation.

Any ideas? obviously except "git gud" and "take vic"
Yanmaya [2670611]
But he was using his DBK, not fists.

Also its 100% in dmg, not STR, so if you are doing 0 dmg, 100% is still 0
Blasted [1934909] Helper
  • Currently a debuff is applied to a target when two or more people are attacking them at the same time. This debuff does two things...
    • Halves the target's defensive stats (Defense & Dexterity) for every additional attacker.
    • Reduces the target's ability to respond to attacks to 1 out of 'Number of attackers'.
fists was the first thing i saw in the report my bad, but i'm guessing this is what you're looking for? your post is kinda confusing so i'm not sure what exactly you're looking for
Fatbears [2197270]
How many passive merits does pika have in STR then you?

Distract will lower by 50% as previously stated so if you attacked again alone you would be up against their full defense.
Yanmaya [2670611]
well, I see how it may be confusing.

I know that distraction halves the defense (why pika was helping me with this target).

The thing is, me and pika had the same exact (~60k off, out of 20m), and pika was able to do damage, while i couldn't.
If both of us have the same effective (!!!) STR, there is no reason I would do 0 dmg, while pika is doing nice amounts (not high, but around 40 with fists).

P.S - we both were attacking with DBKs.

There are 2 reason this might happen:

1. there is something I overlook, and im very curious to what that is.
2. The STR / DEF calculation of the game is wrong for some reason, which is really bad if thats true.
Rum4nyby [1567187]
Looking at the log, it seems like your friend only managed to land a damaging hit when distraction was active. You can see how the same also applied to you. Whenever either of you took 2 attacking turns simultaneously, the 2nd always did 0 damage.

I think this looks perfectly fine in all honesty. Beyond the fact that a mission really shouldn't be this close to impossible unless you're horribly balanced in stats, the damage numbers seem fine. Next time this happens, you need to use distraction properly with your friend. One person hit, the 2nd person waits to see the blue bubble, then they make a hit. The first person waits for a blue bubble before making their 2nd hit, and so on.

Epinephrine is also pretty useful to boost your strength if you have the biology bachelor course complete. Beyond that, you have the usual Vicodin, or you could even try LSD for the slightly higher strength boost (30% from LSD). It also boosts defence by 50%. Though you'll take a 30% hit to speed and dex so watch out there if you do go for the LSD route.
Penetration [2340613]
When you say same effective strength, are you including the passives?

- merits (str, piercing)
- company

- faction
- education
- dbk stats


Lots of things which can give a person a slight edge.
Yanmaya [2670611]
I'm going off by the torntools effective stats shows on your home screen, it takes into effect all available perks from what i understood.
Yanmaya [2670611]
Well, i am fairly balanced, not perfect, but within the same range.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

as you can see from this weird image, from the bottom:

1. I did 0 damage after pika did 139 (he did hit 1 second after me, so he did get the distraction bonus), but i didn't get the bonus and still hit 0.
2. pika hit 16 seconds after me, and did 143 dmg, but the next attack he did 0 damage.

distraction only works for 1 second right? so I need to hit within 1 second after my friend does?

So for me there are 2 reason this report can make sense:

1. The distraction or the def/str calculation doesn't work correctly.
2. Or the report is incorrect, and the timestamps are wrong there.

If both of those things are working as expected, so I don't get it, how pika can hit for 143 dmg 16 second after my previous attack, and hit for 0 dmg 1 second later? also how come I hit after Pika at the same second (my hit clearly registered after pika's according to the report) yet I did 0 dmg, while all other hits were doing dmg?
Derrick [2192688]
Distraction applies for longer than 1 second, resets after the player who hits on the distraction, player A hits, player B gets level 1 distraction hit, in return Player A gets level 1 distraction, etc.
Ata [2507441]
Two things:
A) you should not trust Torn Tools that much
B) you should know enemy's battle stats to even remotely start doing any sort of comparison.

Addendum A
Torn Tools estimation is just that - estimation. It can vary wildly. If you look at the code, it takes few rank triggers as basis, e.g. number of offences, title/rank etc, and then makes an assessment which could read as "people that achieved these rank triggers, usually fall in battle stat category of x - 10*x". That's it, it actually has nothing directly to do with actual battle stats.

Addendum B
What also caught my eye is that you talk about STR exclusively and nothing else. You have 12 stats (4 from enemy, 4 from you and 4 from your friend) but you chose to juggle just with yours and friend's STR. So if you are really eager to learn the math and reasons why your attacks went the way they did, pay for battle stats reveal, then get ALL stats from your friend and only then put some numbers on the paper.
SpARkS4206967 [2175802]
I think I get what you are implying OP

[image: media.discordapp.net]

So its two of you in the fight. When one attacks within the last 30s then the other should get level 1 distraction which should half def/dex by 50%. Breaking up the logs can highlight it.

This can be seen here:But, then This time you were benefiting from distraction too and did 0 damage. Which is what seems off.

However if you go up the log:


[image: media.discordapp.net]

Over here level 1 distraction is helping you both do damage.

Mentions: II-Sutera-II [462667] · PikaPika [2156294] · Yanmaya [2670611]

Blasted [1934909] Helper
first off, I 100% agree with Ata, you’re only basing this off 1 stat. Second, distraction is a 2 player thing not a one player thing as described above. Third, the only reason distraction didn’t work the first time was because both of you hit at the same time, down to the second. there’s no way distraction can work then. if you noticed, you did damage after you hit 1 second later. i hope this clears up any confusion ^-^
Blasted [1934909] Helper
what i said above also applies to this. they hit at the same time, down to the second. there’s no way distraction can occur there ^-^
Yanmaya [2670611]
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Both hits happened on the same second also here, as pika clearly did a hit at the same second.

There might be a delay of few ms and maybe me and pika clicked on the same time, and the server didn't have enough time to do the calculation.

But what about the attack that happened 16 seconds later? pika clearly did damage, but my hit was 16 seconds before, as far as I know, and saw when trying to hit distraction, it only works for 1 second (the blue circle disappear after 1 second), and when I hit after it disappeared, i didn't get the bonus.
Yanmaya [2670611]
I'm not sure what estimates you are talking about, im talking about the effective battle stats that torntools gives based on your info.

So you can see how much BS you actually have with all the perks and merits, no one talked about estimates.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Well im talking about STR because my target was def whore, and me and my friend have the same STR.

So it doesn't matter what are the other stats of any party, me and my friend should get one of the 2 results when attacking:
Either me and my friend do some damage, or we don't.
(obviously do damage above 0, or we don't do any damage without distraction)

But as you can clearly see in the report, sometimes my friend does damage without distraction, and something he doesn't.

I'm trying to find out why the report looks like it, it doesn't make sense to me, so im trying to find what exactly im missing.