Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Boolean Search in Forums Please

Started by yarrielle [2324080] on in Suggestions.

10 replies · 84 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 11 / 11 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
11
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
14
Authority score
27 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
49 / 100
yarrielle [2324080]
OK so I'm a noob. I'm not just a noob, I'm like - the noobiest noob who ever noobed. So I have to look stuff up...a lot. When I search the forums I hardly ever find what I'm looking for before my eyes roll back into my head, I start to drool a little, and then I break down and ask someone. Which is annoying. (I'm annoying enough on my own without asking questions.)

So I've tried Boolean searching here. It doesn't work. Like just now, I searched for ......"best melee weapon"..... and what did I get? NOT posts about the best melee weapon. I got query returns about some murder story, some faction leader, some faction seeking medical recruits, etc. But I did NOT see (before my eyes rolled back into my head and I had to wipe some drool off my chin) a single post pointing a noob in the correct direction of what I'm looking for.

I'll try again later....Then I'll go ahead and be annoying and ask someone. Please, please, pretty please consider adding Boolean search features to the forums so I can take care of my drool problem.

Yarrielle

(If someone is reading this and doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about (normally that's how I come off) then you can follow this link I found that explains what Boolean search means. doink It's just a site. I'm not trying to promote whatever it is or even care about what, if anything, they're selling. But they have a nifty little chart a bit down that shows how to use Boolean.)
TheUltimateSalt [2171375]
Hey there! Sorry to barge in your suggestion, but I have something kind of similar?

[72R+] More Specific Search Option for Forums | Suggestions | … (torn.com)

The gist of the suggestion is broad, asking for a more specific search engine, that could encompass this feature you talk about here. I agree it would be nice as searching the forums right now is such a headache lol

Mentions: [130R+] Specific Search Options for Forums

yarrielle [2324080]
Yes you do! See? This is what I mean...I didn't find THAT when I BOOLEAN searched for it, hahahahaha! I'll go over and check yours out too!
Elizabeth [2339829]
Two things, firstly, that clicky is safe, it indeed just goes to an article explaining boolean searches.

Secondly, as you can see in the wiki, Torn's search engine is powered by Sphinx, which means it does have some fairly similar search functions which can be defined using special characters in the search bar. I would also strongly recommend using the forum area dropdown box to narrow your search results. You're considerably less likely to find horror stories and faction recruiting threads if you only search in, say, Guides and Tutorials.
Fungi [2538571]
How tf do you search? I often have questions about the game, that I just end up not asking because I'll definitely just get "this has been said/asked/talked about before, just search, d'uh" but there's literally not any kind of search functionality in this forum?? I'm tired of giving up on shit in this game; if I was able to find the info that I need(and that I know exists somewhere on this website), I'd be far better equipped to play
yarrielle [2324080]
To search the way it's presented currently, you have to be on the MAIN forum page, not in any of the subsections. On the very top right of the forum page is a search window. I've included an extra-sexy screenshot to help you. :D I don't have an image hosting thingie set up, so I just posted it on Twitter. Fastest thing I could do. (1) Latest Tweets / Twitter
Fungi [2538571]
Awesome, thanks! Still don't have that on mobile without clicking the little "search" button that I've not seen once in 2 years of playing lmao(have even looked for it), thanks brain with how convoluted Elizabeth's description is, I think that button is staying unclicked. I'll definitely have the same issues you've been having, and made this post about
Fungi [2538571]
The issue is that, even after looking for it, I never even knew that bar existed lol thanks for the info, but that info just reinforced that I never want to use that, uh... "feature"...? I suppose it's considered that and not a bug lmao
Fungi [2538571]
Imagine being so condescending that you spend your time browsing forums looking for opportunities to try and make people feel stupid

FWIW it's 2022. A search bar should be as simple as typing a word or phrase into, it should NOT be equal to writing a program.