[background color=#171c1b]
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
It's... I'm on the fence for that. There have been other games that have had pretty good success having a guide "role" per se for skilled players to assist newer players. Most notably things like Destiny 2's Guided Game, Tarkov's "Sherpa's", etc. One note worthy difference between those two specifically is that Tarkov's guides are for brand new players and people struggling to build up a stash, whereas Destiny 2's guides are for solo players that can't complete or figure out end game content that requires multiple people (or are generally considered virtually impossible to do alone). I enjoy helping new players in NPC, it's the main reason I hold my level. But it's something I do occasionally when I have free time and notice there are newbies in chat that need help. It's not a requirement to stay, but it's something I do anyways. Making it a requirement takes it from being something I want to do to being something I have to do. And if it's something level holders have to do to keep holding their level and consequentially retain access to NPC, you may as well make them a Helper at that point.
I guess the question there would be "What's the difference between an actual Helper and this new 'guide' that you're proposing?"
[background color=#1b1a13]
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
Just to clarify, when I suggested making it a condition of holding at level 12 (as I've yet seen nobody who chooses to hold at levels lower than 12), I wasn't implying it should become the players only focus. They should still be free to play the game as usual, just without targeting 'younger' players and instead, help them out whenever and wherever they can. No pressure to do so every time they're online, etc.
I realise it can get a bit convoluted the more you try to pinpoint the details, so trial & error will obviously play a big part to start with but, long-term, it could improve the overall vibe of the platform. ;-)
EDIT: just read hrfn's full post - exactly that! :-D
Well two things.
Firstly, just because there's less level holders does not mean they won't become a target. It just means that the people targeting them are less likely to have millions/billions of battlestats. Other newer players can and will still target them. Hell, I still get legit newbies trying to bonk me when I talk in NPC, and I publicise my stats. Becoming a target is unavoidable.
Secondly, my question still stands. What's the difference between an actual Helper and the new "guide" you're proposing?
Of course they'll still get attacked, that's the game. However, like you said, at least it'll be someone closer to their stats and not someone that they don't have a chance against.
There is a reason I emphasized "Likely". You can reach millions of battlestats very quickly. It's not unlikely to see people less than 6 months old that have millions of battlestats.
[background color=#060805]
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
Of course they'll be attacked, probably daily if they focus on income over training early on, that's a legit part of the game.
As I mentioned early on, there's a difference between using the game mechanics and abusing them, to intentionally harass someone. There are 'older' players who do this more often than newer ones, as they don't need to focus their energy on training as much and, crucially, have many more digital dollars at their disposal to maintain the harassment through (excessive) bounties and 'hitmen', whereas newer players with an antagonist trait don't.
It's more about trying to dilute the culture of 'pick on the little guy for fun', than fundamentally changing the core of the game. Let the big dogs rip each other to shreds, while the pups are still chasing their tails, so to speak. ;-)
(I realise this is, again, similar to what hrfn said above, so at least we're both not just shouting into the wind here X-D )
Do you... Do you know what a Helper is? They're volunteers. That help. When they can.
[background color=#070805]
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
Neither the question nor the point. Nobody's trying to debate the purpose of New Players Chat, thanks.
The point is what you're proposing, this Guide role, is sounding identical to the Helper role we already have. Why introduce a new role, a new position that's the exact same as something we already have just with a different title?
There are so many basic game design flaws it would be a long thread.
weapons are binary af gak or bust with only recently being slightly improved
properties binary no special features or unique things. pi or bust for plane no foreign estates
education meh mainly binary boost no foreign education
crimes meh just income source no foreign crime
no martial arts stances that add effects like red weapons do.
companies are actually balanced and mainly well thought out imo but some specials are under powered.
everything in design is to strengthen the invested player but nothing for the new player.
[background color=#040601]
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
Lots of guides in the open to everyone forums that will get any player up to speed, but who I am to expect people to read when really all they want is hand holding. Stop crying, help you help yourself.
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=61&t=15999874&b=0&a=0Well look at that, a nice guide list that your friendly ahab keeps updated regularly.
Mentions:
Guide list
And still, my question goes unanswered. The point of this string of replies has been implementing a guide role, which, still, has not had a clear distinction from Helper.
I think I see where the confusion is here.
I can only speak for myself but, my main thought on this wasn't about creating an identical 'role' as such, it was more adding a condition/choice for new players and restarts that when they're able to level up to 13, they can either choose to stay at level 12 to take on a mentor-style (unofficial) position to newer players, or, level up and just play the game their way.
On the surface, there doesn't seem to be a real distinction between the 2, I'll agree with that, however, as I said, it's more about the overall toxic undertone of the game. If more energy is put into promoting the helpfulness of others, then just maybe there'll be less toxicity throughout. Almost daily I'm seeing people complain about it (I'm sure we've all seen something that's shocked us by now).
Whether it's given a name, absorbed into the helper role or just a basic understanding that, you either help the little guy or level up past 12, it's just about promoting a healthier environment overall. That surely can't be a bad thing. ;-)
Sounds like you want someone to make you feel safe instead figuring out how to play the game effectively with the VAST amount of resources available that experienced players have put hundreds of hours in to. Another wah wah hold my hand little baby post.
[background color=#070a0c]
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
At first I was indifferent on this suggestion, but the more it goes on the more I dislike this idea, both of them.
In regards to new player chat. I don't know, I never used it, nor global. I have however seen many a brand new player take to the forums running their mouth and talking all kinds of shit, not realizing whats in store. I've also seen more innocent newer players get scammed out of some money. Rarely is it a substantial amount in the long run, and that lesson they learn form taking that $20 million hit early can stop them from making the same mistake with a billion or more later in the game.
Torn isn't for everyone, Like it or not, that "toxic undertone" as you call it, is part of the game. Better to get the ones that wont last, out early.
As for the level 12 holder/helper idea, that sounds like the blind leading the blind. While Elizabeth knows her shit, your average level 12 player is still clueless on most aspects of the game, and has no business mentoring anyone.