Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Approaching Titles

Started by SirEdge [2609907] on in Suggestions.

14 replies · 261 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
40
Authority score
28 / 100
Historical score
37 / 100
Story score
50 / 100
Engagement score
59 / 100
SirEdge [2609907]
People want to know how close they are to a new title. Whether loss sellers that don't want to be "Losers" for long or people that really want that one particular title ("Racer" for me and I hear "Silent Killer" is considered desirable), having a title that you want is a goal many people seek. But in Torn, it seems so random which titles are upcoming- so much so that TornStats set up a title tracker to help people figure out how much they need to do to get the title they want.

What I propose is simply that this functionality be moved back into the game (probably at the bottom of the player home page- near Personal Perks perhaps?) and update as part of the process for assigning new titles (so if that is once per day, so be it). It would be a table something like this:

Approaching Titles (Updated periodically- not live)
PlaceTitle Related Stat # completedTorn Rank# behind Target
1 Trader Trades Completed357 2,556 Current Title Gray
2 Egoist Bounties Placed 502 2,656 42 Unchecked
3 Racer Races Won 633 2,869 223 Checked
4 Samaritan Item Sends 548 3,290 270 Unchecked
(Scroll to see past top 5)

The purpose of checking the "Target" would be that it would take the place of #5 if it is below #5. If it is above #5 like in my case, then it would just show #5 normally.

I really think this will help people in setting goals and measuring progress. I think that this will help to give people a reason to keep playing and to play more.

Edit- Thanks to IBF and TornStats for the approximations of Torn Rank.
SirEdge [2609907]
I am aware of TornStats. That is where I pulled most of my example info from. But TornStats doesn't have the actual data behind titles and most importantly, doesn't tell how much effort someone would need to do to change their title.

If Ched absolutely rejects this, then I'll ask IBF to add the number of items required to get a desired title to TornStats (in my case unknown because TornStats doesn't try to figure out ranking for Trader). But it seems silly to focus on TornStats instead of the core game where it really belongs.
Patient [2131539]
I really think titles should be descriptive of how people play the game, rather than as a goal to farm for.

Part of the fun of titles is the surprise that comes with having it change, and like with levels, I think it's best to leave the criteria hidden, especially for something so superficial.

Also note that Torn Stats is only an estimate, their best guess based on the player data they've collected which is not entirely accurate as it does not include all players as well as includes inactive players and was never meant to be transparent.
SirEdge [2609907]
I have won more than twice as many races and I have completed trades. I am not really a trader, but apparently because I have done a ton of low value trades, that is my title. I see myself as a focused criminal and a racer in Torn. So I would like some indication of how much work is left to go to have a title that represents me.

At present, it just represents how rare trading actually is if I am in the top XX of Torn for it.
SirEdge [2609907]
TornStats has told me that my highest tracked title was Racer for months. I know my current title (Trader) isn't tracked. This really needs to be built into the game.
SirEdge [2609907]
My Racer rank is now 1,572 per Tornstats. I have added over 300 racing wins (from 633 to 974), adding 50% to my total. No idea when it will surpass my trader rank. Unfortunately, as trading is apparently uncommon, increasing my trades completed (which includes non-trades like swapping plushies for points for factionmates) has pushed my trades completed from 341 to 469. I have stopped using the "trade" function outside ghost trades, but still have no idea how long I have to continue to get a title that actually reflects how I use my time here.
SirEdge [2609907]
I did finally get the title I was looking for. Hopefully you are able to figure out how to get the title you are looking for.