Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Previous names

Started by BONK [2593445] on in Suggestions.

29 replies · 632 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 30 / 30 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
30
Discussion span
→
Authority score
49 / 100
Historical score
34 / 100
Story score
59 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

BONK [2593445]
We recently got an update that shows your previous names (since 2018) when you hover over the users name:

Original suggestion

Upon this, many people liked it, and some didn't. I think the feature itself is good, but the people that changed their name for some reason maybe don't want their previous names to be seen.

My suggestion is that there is an option to turn that off and on. There should be a little button in the settings next to the name change that says "show previous names" or simmilar.

That way everyone could be happy, the people who dont care, the ones that want to show it and the ones who feel like hiding their previous names.

The system that was before is still here, so all there is to do is to make a toggle switch on which one users want to have.

Mentions: [[[[R250]]]] - Previous ailiases ..Ched Approved!

Elizabeth [2339829]
That sounds like basically just undoing the whole update. Most people would just set themselves to "Do not show" and then congratulations, you've made the feature completely worthless because nobody's showing their previous aliases anyways.

And of course, on principle, I do have to mention "Give em an inch". Blah blah, why stop there, yadda yadda, turn off people attacking you, etc etc
BONK [2593445]
If everyone would just set to "not show", why did 250+ people like the forum post in the first place?

I think people, probably a lot would keep it on, just for some that dont want to show it wouldnt. I get what you mean but i think that would make sense to have an option to choose.
hammi [2235955]
I think this new feature has to stay in its entirety. If there was an option to show or not, then scammers cheaters & other nefarious types would just hide past names.

Leave as is please.
BONK [2593445]
Well not everyone is changing their name if they are a scammer, some maybe do it for other reasons, it was even said in the original post but i guess most people ignored it:

"I guess it could also be a thing that can be toggled on or off if that was something that was preferred for people that like their privacy, could add a vote maybe?"

I would prefer to not show my past names for example, not because i was scamming people or doing stupid things, but just because that is my name now and I dont really want people to see what i had before i guess.
Solor [2476035]
Only people who care about their previous names are scammers / muggers / assholes / cheaters / ppl who have nothing better to do.

Please don't listen to them. Majority of torn either loves it or just doesn't care.

If you hate having your former name displayed than it is a YOU problem.
Leafeh [467479]
I think the only acceptable solution that wouldn't make the update somewhat redundant, would be to make it only effective from the date of release.

That way everyone has a fair chance to avoid it by not changing their name in future, and those that do are doing so with the knowledge the old name will be recorded against their account.

If the system picked up all names from history it might be a little more fair. But I believe the current application only picks up names back to 2018.

As someone that's had some rather cringe names prior to 2018, I'm one of the lucky ones, and can sympathise with those who got captured in the limited reach back for player name data.
Gothologist [2306065] Wiki Contributor
I changed my username because i was getting harassed in-game, by someone i knew IRL who wasn't welcome in my life anymore.
They did not understand that I kept my ID and when they searched up my user I didn't show up anymore.


I feel like, with my previous aliases being shown, my privacy and reason for changing my name are gone, so I agree with OP.
BONK [2593445]
That would probably be a good idea aswell.

No clue why (if previous names show) only since 2018 and not before too, but to make it from when its released it makes sense. Tho it also kinda defeats the original reason in the suggestion why it should be added in the first place.
Nika99 [2306783] Moderator Official
If someone changed their name because of a reason they’d like to hide….. you know their ID never changed so if someone enemied them and noted their previous name they couldn’t hide behind a name change. If someone wants to truly hide from previous names or behaviors they can also close their current account the proper ways and restart.
StepBrother [2583411]
Just add them to ur ignore list and if they go around that report to staff.

It's really not that complicated

The ignore feature is in messages and block features is in chat.

You don't need to undo this change to avoid being harrassed
Gothologist [2306065] Wiki Contributor
It doesn't work. Chat blocking and adding to the ignore list helps but I've had people use other players to contact and harass me, and staff doesn't care.
Elizabeth [2339829]
"I want to be able to see other people's previous aliases" ≠ "I want everyone to know all my previous aliases"

Just because someone wants the ability to see other people's old names doesn't mean they want their own name publicised. Sometimes, people are willing to make the sacrifice for the benefit of being able to see anyone's previous name, but if you can have the pro without the con, why wouldn't you?
Solor [2476035]
If you hate someone enough to harass, you save their ID. Name changing won't help if you can't change your ID....

As mentioned before if you are getting harassed close your account and start again.

You have to be pretty moronic harasser if you don't put them in your chain list or enemy list, heck piece of paper works too and they managed to escape you with simple name change.
Elizabeth [2339829]
If people are using a middleman to talk to you after you've blocked them, report them. That's bypassing a block and is very much against the rules.
Gothologist [2306065] Wiki Contributor
You don't think I did?

My response from the staff member was just repeating what i told them, which is i had already chat blocked and added to ignore list, they told me how to block em and closed my ticket. This has happened multiple times.
Elizabeth [2339829]
While I'm sure it feels like staff aren't doing their jobs or don't care, I assure you they are and do. What I'd imagine would be the case in that particular situation (where you've had to report multiple people for bypassing a block and just been told to block/ignore them) is just that you've gotten a different staff member each time and so they don't know that you've had to go through this so many times. Not saying that is what happened or that that's even likely, that's just the best I can assume without pointing fingers or playing the blame game.

If it continues, my recommendation would be to take it up with Bogie, because if that truly is the case where someone or multiple people are repeatedly bypassing a block by using a middleman, that's just not okay and is very clearly against the rules. I've only personally had one such case where someone has done this and staff took care of it promptly, so it's not like they can't or won't do anything.

Hope you get it all figured out
SporkMonkey [2065017]
That way everyone could be happy, the people who dont care, the ones that want to show it and the ones who feel like hiding their previous names.

I mean, you could just *not* hover over a name and you wouldn't see it. Why code for an option that you can willfully ignore.

Edit:
Lewri (Previously known as Sl33v3s) disliked your post

Another dummy that is big mad about a feature that does not have to be used.