Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chat Heads

Started by Yzma [2539257] on in Bugs & Issues.

40 replies · 464 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 41 / 41 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
41
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
49 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Mentioned in this thread

Xanet [2007324] ×1 Impasta [2775076] ×1

Yzma [2539257]
Please Help! For some strange reason, my chat heads ain’t visible. I can’t receive messages, I can’t send them as well. I generally can’t initiate a chat with everyone. I’ve cleared my entire history including cache.


I use google chrome, not torn pda.


I’m on iOS so I don’t have access to torn tools or other extension.


This has been going on for close to 8 hours. Any suggestions?
Tezcatlipoca [1969110]
I have had similar issues in Firefox starting today, although the entire UI didn't disappear. Individual chat windows which I had minimized did disappear (about 50% of the ones I had minimized). I was not not able to reopen chat windows with those players through Firefox, although I could still open windows with random players I hadn't chatted with before. So I opened the Android Torn app and sure enough the missing windows still exist in the app. Upon closing the chat windows in the app, I was then able to open the problematic chats again in Firefox. But a few minutes later they disappeared again.

Oh, and I should mention that I have manually set dom.storage.snapshot_reusing to FALSE as suggested in this solution to the earlier chat issues that we recently had.

For reference, a partial screenshot from Firefox on my laptop & a screenshot from the Torn app in my phone, taken at the same time. You can see 3 personal chats in Firefox & 4 personal chats on my phone.

[image: i.imgur.com][image: i.imgur.com]

Mentions: Firefox - Chat Boxes Disappearing · How can I fix the Firefox / chat box issue?

xedx [2100735]
I'd like to add to this. On Chrome, with TornTools disabled. Periodically, all chat icons at the bottom disappear completely. I'm waiting for that to happen again to get more data.

When I refresh, they re-appear - but several that were there, are gone (the icons). With one of those, I can go to their profile, click 'chat' - and no chat appears.

OK all my chats are now gone, and I have hundreds of errors attributed to uncaught exceptions on chat.js:

[image: imgur.com]

Chats re-appeared, still lots of errors:

[image: imgur.com]

Also occurring on Firefox, but not on Android with the Torn app.

Interesting note: if I open my iPhone, all my chat windows are there. Also, messages I sent in chats - that did not appear in Chrome - actually did send, I can see them in Safari on my phone, as sent.
Yzma [2539257]
So I play on my iPhone and on google chrome. I can’t use the alternative- Torn PDA as it’s no longer available on the App Store.

i hope this is fixed soon.
Apathy [2728692]
[background color=#030003]


Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players
willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform,
this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.


[/background]
xedx [2100735]
I found one way I can readily reproduce this.

I opened my log, I happen to have several entries with a person's name. All of my chat icons are visible.

I click and hold a person's name, to open the mini-profile.

I click the 'chat' icon on the mini profile, all my chats disappear.

I refreshed - chats come back - including the one I clicked - and repeat. All chats disappear.

Rinse, repeat as many times as I try.

I reproduced here - image #1:
[image: imgur.com]

Image #2, after opening a mini-profile:
[image: imgur.com]

Image #3, after pressing the 'chat' icon:

[image: imgur.com]

Note: No more chat icons, at all. 40 errors (and growing). All errors in chat.js
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
Can you please try clearing your cache from within the browser settings and see if it resolves the issue?
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
This happens if you left the chat window open an another idle device/browser. You need to open the idle device, close or minimize the window and you should be able to access the chat on your Edge. Alternatively, you can locate the person under Recent list and click the cross next to their name to clear them from the Recent list, this force closes the chat window on all idle/open devices.

[image: i.imgur.com]
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
Is this still an issue for you on Safari or another browser? If it appears fine in other browser, please try clearing the site data and cache for Torn from the Chrome's settings.