Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Inspired by Torn

Started by Boss_precious [2013559] on in General Discussion.

32 replies · 1.89k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 33 / 33 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
33
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
62 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Boss_precious [2013559]
I started this game quite a few years ago and this was where I first learned about scripting and programming generally. From DoctorN to TornStats and the smaller scripts and graphs players would create just to play the game better.

It was really fascinating and I went on to learn more about it and even begin learning python which eventually pushed me onto pursuing a degree in computer science (tough but glad I did). Anyway, I graduated recently and with free time, I decided to return to the game. Making this post now because about an hour ago, I got a job offer from one of the best tech companies around (after countless other applications to other places haha :D) and it comes with amazing perks.

Really glad I found this game and a huge thanks to some of the players that may not even know me but greatly inspired my journey with the things they did:

IceBlueFire
BraveKath
Hank

There's more I cant remember now but I appreciate you all. I'm just a small frontend developer but more than anything, I hope to be able to contribute to this game and help/inspire others.

Has Torn inspired you to do anything you were really proud of in real life?
Varktz [2407932]
Torn has inspired me to finally begin my life of crime! So far ive robbed about 16 homless men and have begun to make a profit from the ski mask and gun i bought at the start of my journey. I hope to move up to robbing kids at the park soon!
ChipWins [2264489]
Congrats! I've been learning python lately as well, Structured Text and Ladder Logic doesn't translate well to Torn lol
masheen [2625139]
Really inspiring story, congratulations on your success! :)

Torn has inspired me to help ladies cross the street like so many benevolent souls here apparently do
Nexus [105937]
Congrats!! :D

Only thing Ill say as an experienced person to a new guy...

Going into a big company as a graduate developer: be humble, ask for help, and ask as many dumb questions as you can think of (but only ask them once)... cos you know literally NOTHING.

We all walked into our first dev job thinking we were hot s**t, then learned the hard way we werent, lol.
Beerstein [1322136]
f**k yeah, that's awesome holy shit we all old here now. Congrats! I'd say when you making a torn app or something but you aint got time for that shit now!
DedeSiregar [2430598]
Everything I done for community events n challenges made me proud. Made short movie, cook weird food, taking stupid pictures etc. I honestly think those events are unfair for nonwestern base players tho like baking n any writing competitions. But I do enjoy doing things i rarely do irl for those kinds of competitions.
One thing I show my fam n friends often is this one lol: horror short movie
IceBlueFire [776] Officer Officer
Congratulations on both your Computer Sciences degree and your job offer! I hope the job suits you well and I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future! It's an honor to be mentioned here but really it's you who deserves the praise for persisting through the tough times and coming out better and stronger in the end.

I wish you all the best for your bright future!
TheFool [2554852]
I'm not in a computer related field, but, while in school my very first teacher opened his class with this line...
"If you only learn a small amount while here, at least learn enough to know that you don't know anything."
It always stuck with me and I feel it would be just as applicable in most any early career.
TheFoxMan [1936821]
Well, my story is similar. I had to spend some free time in lockdown(s) so I restarted my Torn game. I then found TornTools. Then I started to learn HTML, CSS and JS to contribute to it because it was awesome. Currently doing my Computer Science degree.
Yaminos [2108464]
Actually following a similar path to the one you spoke of. Currently learning to code so i can work on sites like torn. Or gaming apps. I was inspired by Torn. The amount of time I enjoyed sitting at the computer playing this game made me rethink what i was doing professionally.

so a bunch of thinking and playing around and here i am. In the process of learning code.