Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Linux Users

Started by Daturax [2627396] on in Technology.

65 replies · 920 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 66 / 66 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

oraN [1778676]
[image: i.imgur.com]

This is a 2015 iMac, bought it around july 2016. imo Apple makes really solid linux hardware :p

[image: i.imgur.com]

always ran Arch till i broke to the point of no return, needed something urgently so switched to debian 2 days ago ( sidenote: apt is a piece of shit, not having access to AUR/Chaotic-AUR sucks)

running the Koolest Desktop Ever. Chromium tab limit on Openbox + KDE is 152!!!
NAMRETLAH [2614520]
I have a WIN10 gaming rig, an unRAID server, and an Ubuntu laptop. Hoping to expand to more Linux - mostly for professional reasons, but having a Linux based server at home is awesome.


Glad to see there are others here with an interest in Linux.
Buddyboy100 [2127398]
I have been using Garuda quite a bit recently, I like its ease of use and quick setup compared to just using Arch. I am also a fan of Manjaro, but Garuda has kind of taken up most of my interest at the moment.

Right now I have,
  • A Panasonic Toughbook running Arch headless with Xfce
  • A late model 2011 MacBook Pro running Garuda with Gnome
  • An Asus E203M that I have just switched from Manjaro with i3 to Garuda with its Dr4gonized Desktop
  • Not to mention a couple Raspberry Pi's running Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi OS for my NAS, PiHole, and other intranet servers, as well as OpenWRT AP running on my old RPi3
It is really cool seeing other Linux users on the forum!
yreew [1989745]
two things:
- 3rd party arch GUI installer already exist since a long time ago, so nothing changes much here.
- the official "guided installer" is not GUI. it is still in terminal.
hammi [2235955]
I returned to Linux a few years ago and went for the easy option of Ubuntu.. good UI, stable with frequent updates. Many many years ago i was a big Redhat fan, are they even still around lol.
Biggles [1665757]
Ubuntu and good UI are two things I don't see in a sentence that often. Personally, I don't know anybody at all that prefers the current Unity desktop paradigm over the old GNOME 2 style. I understand there will be people out there that do prefer it and power to them. But I want menus. I know where things are. I want to arrange icons in a way that suits me and what I do. I don't want to search for everything.

Oh and yes, Red Hat are still around. They are owned by IBM now and are still the biggest company in the Linux world by quite some distance and the gold standard for commercial Linux and support. I use them and their free variants like Rocky for a lot of work things.
Fullcab [2735700]
Hello there, love this linux forum, I'm using Linux Mint Mate since 2020, and have a Youtube Channel where I upload tutorials, like how to use spotify without ads or to do some bash bandit levels, well, nice to know we can talk here, thanks !
Stricken [1178989]
Pick your favorite virtualbox and test out distro's until you find the one you like and does whatever you want it to do.
ElCapone [2669437]
Just asking, what the adventage of Linux against windows ? we all heard about linux, but i never knew why people choose linux over windows?
Catarchy [2632824]
the advantage depends on what your are looking for.
there are people who want to use and support free software, there are others who like to be in complete control of their machine and configure it as they want it.
on certain machines linux runs better and sometimes even faster because of how the OS is built (and how it can be changed) and/or because of better support for legacy platforms.
Jaxtra [2658631]
There are multiple reasons I want to run linux instead of windows:

- It's free (as in beer, and open source)

- You can customise your desktop environment and you have modern desktop features like virtual desktops (well, "modern", they have been around for decades, but compared to windows)

- You have a working package manager instead of one bazillion custom installers

- I run mostly open source software, installing and maintaining it is trivial (because package manager). If I want some software, it's a single command to install instead of spending time trying to find a windows installer.

- It is stable

- It has fewer security attacks

- I am a linux developer

Some reasons you may not want to:
- Commercial software built for windows does not run on linux